still life 5.1 release date: 31st march 2008...

Got mine now. Some parts (especially some of the vocals) sound very different now, I think there are less effects applied on them.

I also noticed there are two 5.1 mixes: one Dolby Digital Surround and another DTS Surround. What's the difference?

DTS has better bitrate than DD. But if there is that 2.0 thing. Is it just the same as Remaster on disc one or what is it?

DTS has better bitrate than DD. But if there is that 2.0 thing. Is it just the same as Remaster on disc one or what is it?

No its full dts surround sound... theres a seperate 2 channel option besides dts and dolby surround 5.1 (And i suppose the 2 Channel option is also different from the remastered version on the audio cd, just like a downmix of the surround version) ... I personally prefer the dts sound, it sounds more dynamic to me.

What does "full" exactly mean in this case? I noticed that they both sound utterly different, that's why I asked.

What does "full" exactly mean in this case? I noticed that they both sound utterly different, that's why I asked.

That you have 6 different channels, and each one gets his own signal. Dolby 5.1 and dts are just two different formats in wich the audio is encoded. It also depends on the system you are using... what differences did you notice?

That you have 6 different channels, and each one gets his own signal. Dolby 5.1 and dts are just two different formats in wich the audio is encoded. It also depends on the system you are using... what differences did you notice?

Right now I only have 2 speakers hooked up to my dvd player through an amp. Is there anyway to play the 5.1 or DTS through the 2 speakers without the 5.1 set up? Or am I confined to the stereo mix for now.

You'll only hear what's going on on these two channels then. However you can rip the 5.1 audio and mix it down to stereo, I tried this yesterday. Well, at least you get a different sound then ;)

theres a seperate 2 channel option besides dts and dolby surround 5.1 (And i suppose the 2 Channel option is also different from the remastered version on the audio cd, just like a downmix of the surround version)

If that's teh case, no need to RIP anything on your own. And so it should have been done anyways. Especially if there's newly recorded stuff.

Well, here's a good comparison of the TWO different cover shots. In my opinion, while the new cover is a good one and is a nice variation of the old, there's no way it's superior. What I miss is the dark contrasts of the original. The new one just has TOO much red in it and the "washed-out" feel is not for me. In fact, the Still Life font itself is enough to prefer the original over the new one hehe.

Actually, the Still Life font is still the same as the old version, at least in my own copy.

You'll only hear what's going on on these two channels then. However you can rip the 5.1 audio and mix it down to stereo, I tried this yesterday. Well, at least you get a different sound then ;)

Yeah thats possible, but you don´t need to do this because for that case (If you just own a 2 Speaker-system, or want to listen to it through the built in TV-Speakers) theres the 2 Channel Option. It´s already downmixed... It has to be downmixed for 2 Speakers, cause in 5.1 most things happen through the center speaker, and with a 2 speaker-setup you only have a left and a right channel...
Select stereo in the DVD-menu and you´ll have the same version of the songs as the dolby surround versions but without all the surround features... (and thats what the DVD was made for) But yes of course you can play it with a 2-Speaker-Setup.
What i want to say is, that you definitively need a 5.1 System for the ultimate listening-experience... :loco:

Actually, the Still Life font is still the same as the old version, at least in my own copy.

:OMG: DAMN that looks nice! Definitely attractive packaging and what seems to be like a hardbound book cover (EXTRA nice!) Ok, so the font at least is still intact - COOL! I saw screens before with a regular times new roman font or something and I was so disappointed. It's a good thing it's not the case.

Allright got it in the mail yesterday and the booklet is stunning, and in a hard cover that may last a bit longer than regular digipaks. I don't have a sound system for the 5.1. mix though so why the fuck did I buy it. Well. Well?

I preordered mine a while ago, but I have not received it yet. Can anyone tell me the bitrate and/or bit depth of the DTS tracks? I am assuming it will be 768 kbit/s at 16 bits in depth, but 1,536 kbit/s at 24 bits would be nice.

Wonder of wonders: I got my copy today. I guess I will start off by answering my own question. I ripped the 5.1 DTS track and played it via foobar just to get a total bitrate. It reported 1509kb/s. I then converted the .DTS file to a 6ch .WAV file and took a look via Audition. There is no LFE channel from what is listed as discrete channels. There are the mains, the surrounds, and the center. Having five discrete channels, the bitrate for each is about 300kb/s and the bit depth is 16 bit with a 48000kHz sampling rate. Much better than the Dolby tracks, but I wish there was MLP. Probably not much demand for it, but I bet if one were to drop either Dolby or DTS and added MLP, the licensing fees would be around the same.

Despite the lack of a dedicated LFE channel, there is plenty of bass. In addition, there is so much more clarity in all instruments. The drums are MUCH better. Very nice all around. Great job Opeth and Jens:)

Hey I preordered too, and I live in the USA. If I ordered mine this past monday, when do you think i should expect it in?

I have no way of knowing. Check the order status at the site you ordered it from.

I ordered mine on March 3 from Amazon.com, and my account is giving me a shipping estimate of April 21. From past experience, Amazon.com nearly always ships earlier than the estimated ship date, so I'm hoping that it gets shipped either today or Monday.

If you ordered yours from Amazon.com, then I would expect mine to be shipped before yours, since I ordered earlier, unless something would come up with the other CD I ordered with it (though it now says it's in stock).

Yeah thats possible, but you don´t need to do this because for that case (If you just own a 2 Speaker-system, or want to listen to it through the built in TV-Speakers) theres the 2 Channel Option. It´s already downmixed... It has to be downmixed for 2 Speakers, cause in 5.1 most things happen through the center speaker, and with a 2 speaker-setup you only have a left and a right channel...
Select stereo in the DVD-menu and you´ll have the same version of the songs as the dolby surround versions but without all the surround features... (and thats what the DVD was made for) But yes of course you can play it with a 2-Speaker-Setup.
What i want to say is, that you definitively need a 5.1 System for the ultimate listening-experience... :loco:

Just a note:

The stereo option on the DVD is not a downmixed version of the 5.1 mix. It is the same mix that is on the stereo remaster.

Rip the DTS-stream and play it using foobar (you need the "channel mixer" and DTS plugins) and you'll have a fresh new sound in stereo :)