still life

alphamale

John Doe
Aug 7, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
i recently purchased still life and after listening to it about 5 times..i still don't quite get it??..or is it just me? granted it's pretty good but some parts seem bland and forced...it's doesn't flow together nicely..and i thought my arms, your hearse did that best

I think it´s just opposite. take for instance The Moor. Check out the lyrics how well they fit. Gentle and then harsh...The record is a symbiosis between music and lyrics= great piece of art.

I needed to listen to "still life" several times before I completely love it.... I bought it just because of "The Moor", which I totally fell in love with... but I didn't apreciate others songs immediately... now I love this album :)

I have gone for a while and listened to SL a couple of times, and my veiws are that it is very different to the other albums, yes, but very diverse in the dtyle the riffs are put together and the lack of melodicness in the album. I think from Still Life, they lost a 'part' of Opeth that I really enjoyed. I loved it on MAYH, especially Demon Of The Fall, how the music really varies. Also this comes out on BRI. They didn't really add that aspect on BWP or SL. I found that a let down. I really do hope they ressurect the old school OPETH for the new album. That would really fluff my muffin.

\m/

Alphamale-I totally agree. NO Opeth cd flows as well as MAYH. I can't really get into Still Life as a whole (although I do like most of the songs on the cd), I also think it doesn't flow at times and seems forced.

It's not that long since I got Still Life. Initially, I did not fell
under it's spell. But apparently I have lately, it's one hell
of an album. Orchid has moved from #3 to #2, with Still Life
taking it's place. Blackwater Park is still my favorite album.

Songs like Serenity Painted Death sounded totally disjointed before I read the lyrics and got into the story.

READ THE LYRICS PEOPLE! It's meant to take some effort on the listener's part. If you aren't concentrated enough to do that thoroughly, then I can very well see why you don't like the album. It's like watching a movie without getting the plot. ;)

Opeth is one of the few metal bands who can make lyrics matter.

yeah i had read the lyrics too when i first got it, used to sit and read along. ACtually what my band is gonna do is take all the lyrics that i have written which is in the form of a concept album, and write along with the mood and tone of the lyrics.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. On Still Life it seems that there is something missing at times or a bit 'empty'. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think that's what drags it down to my least favourite Opeth album. I also think that the rhythm guitar thing is abused too much on that album... it doesn't sound very 'Opeth' at all.

Originally posted by Moonlapse
I also think that the rhythm guitar thing is abused too much on that album... it doesn't sound very 'Opeth' at all.

Please elaborate...? I think Still Life is Opeth's most inventive guitar-playing. Take Godhead's Lament... they didn't do it like that before or after. I'd like to see some of this direction on the new album.

IMO, this is one of Opeths greatest albums, with Morningrise coming in a close second to Orchid. Songs like Face of Melinda seriously take me away. The album does, as other people have noticed, flow the best out of the 5 albums out so far.

IMO, MAYH is the hardest album to get into, I am just not clicking with it. I like it none the less when I listen, but for when I want to just relax to some Opeth, it's a tough choice from the 3 I mentioned above.

Originally posted by Vortex

Please elaborate...? I think Still Life is Opeth's most inventive guitar-playing. Take Godhead's Lament... they didn't do it like that before or after. I'd like to see some of this direction on the new album.

How do you want me to elaborate?

I know about Godhead's Lament, I play the song on guitar, and I can say I personally get alot more joy out of more dual-guitar harmonies like Advent than I do out of a rhythm/melody sound like the introduction on Godhead's Lament. I mean, no disrespect really, I like the sound to a certain extent but I feel that the whole album was based around it... I mean just listen to Serenity Painted Death or Moonlapse Vertigo.