still life

It's more polished sounding. "The Moor" is one of my favorite Opeth songs though. I think "Still Life" is amazing aesthetically, but the way it's made... gives it less emotion to me than some other Opeth albums.

One thing I have wondered though...

Is "Perplexion" a real word? I thought the word was "perplexity." I love that part of Godhead's Lament though, hehe.

I bought Still Life first and after a few months I now appreciate it totally. I'm into bands like Dream Theater and Pain of Salvation so it was a bit of a change but I really see the genius in it now.

I bought Morningrise today but I think I need to give it some time to see if I like it as much as Still Life.

When I first got Still Life, I didn't lkie it very much. But in the meantime it's my favourite album. I'm still waiting for Morningrise and MAYH, hope they will be delivered to me next week. Out of the three albums I have, Still Life is the one with the most emotional clean vocal parts and those are so amazing. For eample I love that part in Godhead's Lament "Searching my way to perplexion", the melody is so loving and fantastic. I also love Benighted and Face of Melinda, the melodies and singing can make me close my eyes and forget all the bullshit for a moment. I just love it. :)

I don't know, I like Orchid, but I don't really get into it; I know great parts from BWP and SL by heart, but nothing from Orchid although I got it together with Still Life. There are a whole lot of parts that I remember and like while listening to it, but nothing really comes to my mind later you know. I don't listen to it very often... but never the less I like it in its way.

Orchid is my fave, with Morningrise behind it. MAYH, SL, and BWP have really done nothing for me. I wish they would have kept the style they had on the first two. The first two were progressive death metal. The last three are death metal with acoustics and clean vocals.

Originally posted by Dreamlord
Orchid is my fave, with Morningrise behind it. MAYH, SL, and BWP have really done nothing for me. I wish they would have kept the style they had on the first two. The first two were progressive death metal. The last three are death metal with acoustics and clean vocals.

I never really thought of Opeth as 'death metal'. The only link I see is in the vocals.

To me, Opeth is just progessive metal, always has been.

Originally posted by Don Corleone
pay special attention to the bass work on morningrise.

morningrise is my fave...

but the bass player totally suck:(

infact in an interwiev i read that they have changed the rythm section 'cause it was lack!!:D

still life is a great album(all opeth is...)but he have more prog feeling and less atmosphere than for example morningrise.

modern prog is always like a curse to me...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I find that Orchid was a very 'old-school' metal kind of album... the riffs and all that give it this neo-folk kind of metal feel.. it's really awesome... songs like In Mist She Was Standing and The Apostle In Triumph really show that... amazing album. They got alot more spacey in Morningrise and then start making things flow in MAYH... then kind of built their way into SL and BWP.

Originally posted by DogVomit

I never really thought of Opeth as 'death metal'. The only link I see is in the vocals.

To me, Opeth is just progessive metal, always has been.

Hm. Are you saying the song's Demon of the Fall and Black water Park are not death metal? Come now.

The first two albums are progressive death metal. The last three are not.

Originally posted by Dreamlord

Hm. Are you saying the song's Demon of the Fall and Black water Park are not death metal? Come now.

The first two albums are progressive death metal. The last three are not.

hey dreamlord this proggish people are scared of whole black/death affair

obviously they don't admit that one of the group that they listen is death or worst black metal!:eek:

to me modern prog is a curse

:D

Originally posted by Domson as TIOBS
I don't know, I like Orchid, but I don't really get into it; I know great parts from BWP and SL by heart, but nothing from Orchid although I got it together with Still Life. There are a whole lot of parts that I remember and like while listening to it, but nothing really comes to my mind later you know. I don't listen to it very often... but never the less I like it in its way.

I agree. Morningrise just flows through. Anyway, it´s great album but afterwards I don´t remember anything from it...