Stoner rock/metal

LivingCadaver

Cause à effet.
Apr 27, 2006
Montréal, Qc, Canada
Hey, I was wondering if there are people in here listenning to stoner metal. I only know a couple of bands like: Bongzilla, YOB and Orange Goblin, Sleep and Warhorse has some stoner parts but that's pretty much what I know about that genre.

What are your favorit stoner bands?

I imagine that it would, that seems to be suggested based on previous topics on various message boards.

well I don't smoke pot, yet I enjoy stoner and sludge but I can imagine it being more "enjoyable" when your stoned.

and for Warhorse yea I know they are not really considered stoner but some riffs make it sound stoner.

Acid Bath (more sludge than stoner, but their lyrics are pretty stoner'y)
Acid King (female fronted stoner rock)
Electric Wizard
Fu Manchu
Kyuss
Monster Magnet (old stuff is better, though I personally like their newer material too)
Orange Goblin
Spiritual Beggars

As for whether it is better when listened to while stoned, no idea. I don't do drugs myself (I smoked pot once but just didn't really see what the big deal about it was). But smoking makes it more enjoyable for you then more power to you. But music is my drug of choice.

Cathedral-carnival bizarre
The Hidden Hand-devoid of colour
Bongzilla-gateway
Goatsnake-Goatsnake Vol. 1,Flower Of Disease
High on Fire-surrounded by thieves,art of self defense
Place of Skulls-with vision,nailed
Melvins-houdini,bullhead
Alabama Thunderpussy-fulton hill,staring at the divine
Queens of the Stone Age-songs for the deaf

Carnival Bizarre =/= Stoner. Caravan Beyond Redemption = Stoner fyi.

Anyhoo, the list nails it, but fails, because:

IT DOES NOT MENTION ACRIMONY

Welsh doom/stoner band.

2 albums and 1 e.p.

"Hymns to the stone" (Godhead, I think - too lazy to check cd case)
"Tumuli Shroomaroom" (Earache was it? again, too lazy to check)

Brilliant stuff, very hypnotic on Tumuli, fucking ace album to get drunk in the sun to. \m/

Down is stoner? I wouldn't know, I think it's pretty awful. I wouldn't have said it's stoner though. But then again, I don't really know how one defines stoner.

hhhm, that was a really terrible post

KornyBstd said:

Apart from their first album not much of what they have done really is stoner. At best it has some mild stoner influence. Kyuss (the precursor to QOTSA) is much better if you're looking for stoner rock.

Hammer of Might said:
Down is stoner? I wouldn't know, I think it's pretty awful. I wouldn't have said it's stoner though. But then again, I don't really know how one defines stoner.

hhhm, that was a really terrible post

I think Down are stoner-ish in parts, though i enjoy them a lot.

Floodgate were along similar lines, and just as good.

(Featured Kyle THomas / Exhorder on vocs)

Down was great.

The funny thing is Down was better than majority of the albums by the members main bands.

The Greys said:
Down was great.

The funny thing is Down was better than majority of the albums by the members main bands.

By Pantera, yes.

BY COC or Crowbar? Hmmmmmmmmmm, on a par, I think.

Odd Fellows Rest > Down i.m.o.

For me, Kyuss invented stoner rock (in terms of what I consider stoner rock anyway), and are still the best. Also, most projects from their members, eg. QOTSA, Slo Burn and Unida (though the latter is not really stoner) is all worth a look. Fu Manchu, Nebula, Monster Magnet, The Atomic Bitchwax and Dozer are also personal favourites.
Further to that, I enjoy the transition from stoner rock through metal towords Doom, eg. Orange Goblin, Down and the mighty Spiritual Beggars. I also agree with plaguewilder that, no matter what catagory Clutch are, they are fucking awesome (Really looking forward to seeing them twice between the 7th and the 11th).
Oh, and I do find stoner rock sounds better when you're stoned. Music made by stoned people, for stoned people (not that you HAVE to smoke pot, thats just my view). Then again, I enjoy doing most things more when I'm high, so, as with most things, I guess it's down to personal preference.