Stoner/Doom Metal

I don't even smoke pot anymore(never was huge on it) and can't listen to a lot of doom/stoner because it's either really agonizing or you need to smoke pot. Kyuss 'blues for the red sun' for example on shrooms or pot is amazing but sober it's just nothing really.

I can't just sit sober and listen to Electric Wizard 'dopethrone' or even Eyegatehod(unless) drunk because the bands really sound like they want to die or might imo.

I do like some doom and stoner that I can listen to on a regular basis.

Same here. I have never understood this whole needing to be stoned or high or drunk in order to enjoy a certain type of music thing. Quite frankly I feel sorry for people who do.

CAIRATH said:
Same here. I have never understood this whole needing to be stoned or high or drunk in order to enjoy a certain type of music thing. Quite frankly I feel sorry for people who do.

I can't relate to stoner metal bands from cali. Happy music majority of the time makes no sense to me and actually makes me more uncomfortable in a regular mind state.

Yeah... not really getting it either. When I think stoner I think of bands like Kyuss, Monster Magnet, Orange Goblin, Fu Manchu, Electric Wizard, that kind of thing. None of those bands are "happy". Unless you consider anything more upbeat than brutal death metal to be "happy" (which I'm guessing you do).

I don't like happy music either and I love all of those bands and just have no clue what it is that you are referring to that makes you not relate to them really. But to each their own I guess.

To me the genre of Stoner Rock seems retarted, it should have a better title than that. But that the title it got, in the early 90's I interviewed several "Stoner" bands and they had not heard of that either haha. All in all it's down and dirty, fuzzed out rocken roll.

Todd Jaymz said:
To me the genre of Stoner Rock seems retarted, it should have a better title than that. But that the title it got, in the early 90's I interviewed several "Stoner" bands and they had not heard of that either haha. All in all it's down and dirty, fuzzed out rocken roll.
I have recently been thinking :headbang: Why not just call it HEAVY ROCK

Todd Jaymz said:

pretty sure 95% of bands that play "stoner" music and 99% of people who listen to it probably smoke weed. so it works.

CAIRATH said:

No offence, but you therefore don't really know what you're talking about. I can listen to and enjoy anything in my collection regardless of what I have or haven't taken (although I'm not planning on taking a fuckload of hallucinogens and listening to Today Is The Day anytime soon...), however, certain bands do sound better when you've taken something.
In the case of stoner, yes, smoking weed makes the dense, fuzzy wall of music sound better. But at the same time, can anyone honestly say Pantera doesn't sound better when you've been drinking?
As for bands, I wouldn't say Kyuss, Fu Manchu or Monster Magnet were metal (stoner or not), but rock. Personally I associate doom metal (possibly just due to the word) with very sludgy bands, whilst bands like Orange Goblin, especially having that more upbeat, stoner groove to it, I would just call heavy or possibly old school metal. After all, Orange Goblin have stated on stage that, "We're not stoner rock, we're heavy fucking metal".