Stoner/sludge/doom.

what albums are worth looking into. what ive heard so far sounds pretty gay, the vocals anyway.

AllShallFall, what albums should i get by fear factory.?

Hey guys. I'm looking for some crushing heavy sludge. Something like Sleep, with those long notes and powerful breaks. Any recs would be much appreciated!!!

When I think of Sleep I do not think of Crushing, Heavy, or Sludge...But these few might be a good starting point.

Conan
Kongh
Amenra
Bongripper
Shrinebuilder

If I was stuck on an Island with one Stoner/Sludge/Doom album it would be Acid Bath `Paegan Terrorism Tactics'. Or Cathedral -the ethereal mirror.

When I think of Sleep I do not think of Crushing, Heavy, or Sludge...But these few might be a good starting point.

Conan
Kongh
Amenra
Bongripper
Shrinebuilder

Well this sure did it!

Anything like this. I love the riff staring @ 1:16

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it's not their best, but it's still ok. I love Stargasm, Spectrelight, and The Sparrow.

btw, Crack the Skye is their best work. Leviathan is good, too

Disagree. Crack the Skye was just as bad as The Hunter to me. They don't have a clean vocalist that's worth listening to. Their best is Remission, then Leviathan. Then they stopped really being decent at all.

Disagree. Crack the Skye was just as bad as The Hunter to me. They don't have a clean vocalist that's worth listening to. Their best is Remission, then Leviathan. Then they stopped really being decent at all.

I disagree. Have you seen them live? I saw them with Opeth and Ghost and they fucking kicked ass

There are two Mastodons: before "Blood Mountain" and after "Blood Mountain". The before times were days of joyous, heavy metal where all the children could listen and mosh and headbang and air guitar to riffs like "March of the Fire Ants". The after times are days of suffocating pretentiousness where the children sit and stare in bewilderment at an album with 15 guitar layers and a cover that looks like someone tried to cram a pinata into another pinata.

BTW if you're into sludge and haven't listened to pretty much everything from The Melvins you should do that right now.

Wheoo, if I had to pick one to start? Probably Houdini, Gluey Porch Treatments, or honestly A Senile Animal is pretty awesome.

Melvins are an odd band, but definitely sludge in a sort of "Crowbar on quaaludes" kind of way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree. Have you seen them live? I saw them with Opeth and Ghost and they fucking kicked ass

I've seen them live a bunch of times. They were great the first time I saw them on the Blood Mountain tour. Then I saw them tour for Crack The Skye and they played the whole fucking album in its entirety with shockingly out of tune clean vocals and attempted harmonies. Someone needs to tell them to either get a vocalist who can sing or stop trying and go back to the style they were good at. And also to stop writing yawnworthy attempted prog.

There are two Mastodons: before "Blood Mountain" and after "Blood Mountain". The before times were days of joyous, heavy metal where all the children could listen and mosh and headbang and air guitar to riffs like "March of the Fire Ants". The after times are days of suffocating pretentiousness where the children sit and stare in bewilderment at an album with 15 guitar layers and a cover that looks like someone tried to cram a pinata into another pinata.

This. Totally. They disappeared up their own arses.

BTW if you're into sludge and haven't listened to pretty much everything from The Melvins you should do that right now.

Melvins fucking rule and I need more of their stuff.