Strategic Warfare games

Dodheimsgard

Oct 13, 2005
Scotland
Hey, It's been a while since I've bought any PC games, and was wondering if anyone could recommend any really good ones, I really enjoyed the Command & Conquer series, so something similar to that style would be preferable. Cheers.

Age of Empires is pretty cool. I'm real hooked on Spellforce right now. It's not a "historical, military strategy" game, but it's one hell of an RTS game mixed with some RPG elements. I would recommend those two games.

Total Tech is a turn based Strategic Game.. if you've played Mech Assault or Mechwarrior you've played games based on the Battletech boardgame. We need good people on the server.. its free and you should come and check it out.

I also say that Warhammer40k: Dawn of War/Winter Assault fucking RULE.. Iron warriors > EVERYONE

Well thanks everyone, been really helfpful. I found some other good Strategy games in the process, including World of Warcraft which is excellent. Also I'm planning on buying Age of Empires 3 which looks really good. Thanks again.

Warcraft series
Starcraft
C & C series
War of the Ring
Battle for Middle Earth series
AoE series......you can't go wrong with them

Any Age of Empires rules. They're making an Age of Empires III. It looks awesome, and I guess Warcraft is cool too.

MetalT

trapper_87 said:
You might like the Total war games, they arent quite the same as you just take an army and fight, but it is a good strategy game

Ah rite so you dont actually have to build a civilization? How big are the armies you fight with?

Well in the total war games the battles are set on point matches, you build your amry before the battle with those points (upgrades, units, ect). THere is also campaign mode where you try to conquore to world, you have cities and the such but all you do is set tax rates and what buildings to build and what units you recruit/retrain. This part is turn based, each turn is 6months in game. You move each seperate army you have traned around the map and engage other armies, this is where the RTS begins. Check out http://www.totalwar.com/ for a demo or two of the game and for more info.

I really like Paradox Games. Like Victoria, Hearts of Iron, Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis--all sort of risk-type games based on a different time period from the crusades up to WWII. Of course the warfare component is essentially like risk and simplistic(More troops means victory). But the economic and diplomacy compenents are first rate, and very difficult.

nope ur missing out on the best game that never gets boring.

it might be hard to grasp at first.
but it becomes addicting and then after playing for years u never get tired of it
Starcraft and the expansion Brood War.

3 races.
terran
protoss.
zerg.

all have strenghts and weakness and u can spend years figuring the perfect stratagey.

I see that Dawn of War hasn't been mentioned yet. It's based around the Warhammer 40K table-top game. You can play as Orks, Eldar, Space Marine and Chaos Space Marine. Recently an expansion was release called Winter Assault which adds some new units to the existing races as well as a new one: Imperial Guards. This is in my opinion the best RTS-game since StarCraft, immensly intense, balanced and good looking. So if you haven't checked it I easily recommend you do.

Cheers