The Nintendo 64 Appreciation Thread

[0hr]Sunlapse

Wraith
Oct 1, 2002
Rumson, NJ
www.getyourasstomars.com
Where to begin? The N64 is by far the most underrated system of all time. So many people always tend to say, "oh the N64 sucked, what a waste of money," "playstation was so much better its not funny,"..... well fuck that. Playstation was good, has my favorite game of all time (FF7), but i've never had as much fun playing games in general as much as i did with the N64. The closest thing i had come to playing a 3d game before playing Mario 64 that Christmas of '96 was Doom on my old PC. Imagine the contrast. Back then, Mario 64 was the most visually advanced, revolutionary, and amazing platformer ever created. The 3d platformer is such a flat out amazing genre, and the N64 OWNED it by FAR. The thing about the N64 was that it had the 3 most amazing platform games I've ever played, M64, Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie(godly).....and it was an absolutely killer system for FPS games as well (PS just can't compare).... first time I played Turok, my jaw dropped, it was the most amazing FPS ever. Absolutely incredible. Then there was Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Turok 2, Doom 64, etc.... And we cant forget my two favorite racing games ever, the extremely underrated and awesome Extreme-G and XG-2 (its all about those tracks). Now, about the Playstation, here's the thing..... it had the FF series, and they are undoubtedly amazing, plus the CGI still graphics were on a different level (although real-time graphics the N64 obviously owned). But the main problem with the Playstation is that the ratio of "Best Game Ever-type games" to "Games that I bought used for 5 bucks, had fun with for a week, then tossed it like a frisbee" is, well pretty damn bad. PS had only a few of those "Best game ever-type games", while the N64 just had countless amounts for me. And there were none of those "buy used and throw a week later type games" on the N64. So there ya go. I had to get that out of my system, and anyone who loves the N64 as much as I do, please let the world know.

I have my faithful N64 sitting next to me right now, been played way too much for the past so many years (since the release date :))
And my playstation sitting in the closet because the piece of shit broke fairly quickly and the N64 was more than enough to keep my away from it (a few good games, but really not like the N64)
Playstation seems to have too many of those games that you burn out for a week then ignore, while all the nintendo systems, NES, SNES, and N64 (not to mention Game Boy) had many timeless games. They weren't a novelty, they were damn well done. Sad that GameCube has brought Nintendo down so far...

Steve said:
And my playstation sitting in the closet because the piece of shit broke fairly quickly and the N64 was more than enough to keep my away from it (a few good games, but really not like the N64)
I can't count how many times I've dropped the damn thing (cause im constantly carting it over to others' houses, different rooms, etc.) and it still works just like new. (same with all the games ive bought, heh.... i think about 95% of my old PS games are unplayable by now)

Steve said:
Playstation seems to have too many of those games that you burn out for a week then ignore while all the nintendo systems, NES, SNES, and N64 (not to mention Game Boy) had many timeless games. They weren't a novelty, they were damn well done.
exactly.

Not as good as the SNES, and the games were indeed damn expesive. Still, it had some exceptional games, including Ocarina of Time which is my favourite game ever. Goldeneye multiplayer is still a classic and that was released when, 96? Perfect Dark was also great fun.

I still have my N64, it has some great games, but it's not without it's flaws. The controllers, esspecially the joystick are pretty weak, and although mine is like however many years old, the buttons stick down and the joysticks are rough. There weren't really that many good games and they were all over priced.

Some of the games were fantastic though.

I loved the N64 and the Playstation, but I always hated controllers in general. Give me a keyboard and mouse anyday.

I don't mind the Playstation controllers, I think they are fine. The only games I wouldn't prefere to use a hand controller for are FPS and maybe a few others.

EvilKindred said:
:worship: Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie
Damn right. I got a complete 100% in Kazooie just by renting the game so much. Ive had Tooie for a while now and i'm still working on it.

EvilKindred said:
Perfect Dark has to be one of the best games on the N64, anyone agree?
without a doubt. i remember summer of 2000 playing 4 player constantly. and im still trying to complete Perfect Agent (impossible)