Stratovarius - Elysium

Indestructible

New Metal Member
Nov 17, 2010
Has anybody heard it yet? Personally all the tracks are just nothing special except the title track. That one is the real deal....18 minutes of real professionalism.

Stratovarius knows how to impress me well...

I think there's a thread around for the album with quite a bit of praise for it -personally I found it to be a great album. Didn't have as much of an impact as Polaris did but I thought it was a worthy follow-up and it gets quite a few spins still from me.

I think there's a thread around for the album with quite a bit of praise for it -personally I found it to be a great album. Didn't have as much of an impact as Polaris did but I thought it was a worthy follow-up and it gets quite a few spins still from me.
couldn't find a thread about the album....where is it? give me a link of that thread or something. i want to see it.

also, yeah, it's a worthy follow-up but personally most of the songs except title track have nothing memorable to them.

I know to each his own opinion but wow, really? It has some of their most sophisticated songwriting yet. Progressive/experimental elements as well as good old-fashioned neoclassical metal. Easily their most solid release since Infinite, to me.

Personally I'd say it's quite a good album. Maybe not Stratovarius good, but still good.

Can agree with Indestructible though that a few of the songs were nothing special to me, tend to skip over the middle part whenever I listen to this album. But a few of the early Stratovarius songs had to grow on me before I acually enjoyed them, so maybe the times comes for those as well.

It blew me away on first listen, personally! After half a year and many listens, I can honestly say I hope they make more songs like Lifetime In A Moment and Move the Mountain. Unlike a lot of the ballads Tolkki's written in the past ten years, those are done properly, in my opinion. Love 'em!

This rejuvenated post-Tolkki Strato stuff is just as mind blowing and energetic as the Infinite era IMO and not the least bit generic or passable; it truly impresses me they've managed to make lightning strike again. Tolkki's stuff over the years have become a little tired and predictable and boy did that show with Revolution Renaissance, it took Symfonia's great debut to turn me round to him again.

I'm hoping Symfonia's next album will have a little more creative and progressive songwriting. Tolkki can be a great songwriter but some of the things on Symfonia either didn't impress me or were completely predictable. Hopefully he'll go easy on the vocals, too - it's still taking me a lot of effort to digest those vocals up in the stratosphere.

Already stoked to see what Stratovarius has planned for their next album, too. Elysium came not long after Polaris, so maybe with the incredible new elements they have in Lauri and Matias, they'll continue to blow me away!

Kicking something music related to the top instead of indestructible's police thingy (apologies in advance if that causes offense)... I got the limited signed collectors edition but haven't had the heart to open it :lol:

Got the same one! Mine's opened though...Still haven't heard the songs on the LP since I don't have an LP player, anyone here heard them?

:O

You lucky people! I have nothing signed by Strato. The one time I did see them, I even met them, but I forgot to bring in my copy of Polaris for the whole new lineup to sign :( I just hope I get the chance again someday!

I really liked the Elysium album, thought it was great. Haven't got Symphonia im am a big Tolkki fan, i'll have to order it now lol

You lucky people! I have nothing signed by Strato. The one time I did see them, I even met them, but I forgot to bring in my copy of Polaris for the whole new lineup to sign :( I just hope I get the chance again someday!
do you mean signed by one of the members themselves?

no offense or anything, but what's the point in that?

I was acually way more impressed by In Paradisum than Elysium. Guess I had too high expectations for Stratovarius and vice versa....No matter what it's a great album Gav, hope you like it!

do you mean signed by one of the members themselves?

no offense or anything, but what's the point in that?

Because many of my favorite musicians are my musical idols. And the band is just legendary in itself, a true pioneer of neoclassical metal.

There might be another factor in that I'm American and almost never even see these bands live - let alone meet them - so getting the chance to shake their hands and actually get an in-person photograph with them is almost miraculous. I still can't believe I talked to Kai Hansen for easily 20 minutes.

I was acually way more impressed by In Paradisum than Elysium. Guess I had too high expectations for Stratovarius and vice versa....No matter what it's a great album Gav, hope you like it!
Me too pretty much.

I only have the limited edition Polaris and Elysium signed by the band now (minus Tolkki of course).

I used to have many other albums signed back in the day but after my falling out with Tolkki I got rid of them all so now I have nothing signed by him, can't say I regret it though.