STRATOVARIUS: North American tour dates announced!

TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
According to postings Jaxx website in West Springfield, VA and BB Kings Blues Club website in New York, New York Stratovarius will be returning to North America for 5 dates in October. Special guests are expected to be announced.

Confirmed dates include

October 1 @ Jaxx in West Springfield, VA
October 2 @ BB Kings Blues Club in New York, NY

Really suprised to see them back at Jaxx...the place was virtually empty last year.....though I thought they played a better show than at their PP appearance.

It was empty because they are expensive and tickets were too much as a result. The price looks the same this time (unless you preorder), but since they aren't doing PP, maybe folks from down South will travel and there will be a better turnout.

airfare ticket #3 for that time period in preperation. I LOVE JENS JOHANSSON.

these guys would do great in south florida. all our power metal shows have been A FULL house here.

Wow, Strato returns! I thought the performance at Jaxx was a lot better than at Progpower too, surprisingly. Hopefully 3rd time is quite the charm!

Anyone else notice Pyramaze's logo on the "anyone interested in?" section of the Jaxx main page? hmmm.

Empress said:
these guys would do great in south florida. all our power metal shows have been A FULL house here.

Jaxx is generally pretty full for power metal shows. However - as we're experiencing with Gamma Ray - the "new guard" seem to be drawing better with the, um, "kids" than the "old guard" do. (We'll see what the actual turnout is, but Dragonforce is sold out already, whil GR is still selling tickets. Being in the same week isn't helping, I'm sure.)

I hope Strato does well, but it's still expensive...

eaeolian said:
Being in the same week isn't helping, I'm sure.
That actually IS a problem - most people can't afford travel/tickets/food/etc. for multiple shows, and there are 3 big time metal shows that week. Spock's Beard is shoved right in the middle of it!

And the new versus the old, I agree. GR seems to be "old" and Dragonforce is "new". Same with Evergrey, the are more "new". Seems shows like that sell much better.

OdinsCourt said:
That actually IS a problem - most people can't afford travel/tickets/food/etc. for multiple shows, and there are 3 big time metal shows that week. Spock's Beard is shoved right in the middle of it!

And the new versus the old, I agree. GR seems to be "old" and Dragonforce is "new". Same with Evergrey, the are more "new". Seems shows like that sell much better.

Nevermore's carrying that one, actually. Gigantour REALLY paid off for them.

I heard the Strato show in Chicago was virtually empty.
I had to sell my ticket due to another obligation coming up.
I have a feeling Chicago will be skipped due to poor turnout last year.

I don't understand when bands like Strato, Gamma Ray, Helloween, etc come just for 5 dates. If they are flying over here anyhow, stay 2 weeks. It makes more sense financially for the band too (IE - ticket sales, t shirt sales, etc).

I understand some festival promoters as part of bringing them over forbid the bands from playing too many dates around the festival. I do understand this as it makes the festival show all that more appealing. Though it doesnt seem like Stato are coming to play any fest in the USA.

I think what hurt Strato last time too is that they didn't have a solid opener. Therion struggled in the US from this too.

I will never understand why a band would come over for the first time and not bring a semi-solid opener to help boost the sales.

I was shocked when Sonata toured the US earlier this year and had all local openers. The Chicago show was a near sellout on a weekday. I guess you never know how the turnouts will be.

Though good package tours usually have proven successful, though I guess it means less money for the headliner too.

Ahh!!!!! Business!!!! :)

Again, I am jealous of Jaxx and B.B. Kings, but that's as to be expected. I doubt there'll be a Masquerade (ATL) or House of Blues (Myrtle Beach) date, but I'll cross my fingers.

Therion has issues with openers. As their equipment/sound setup takes a long time. I read in an interview, that if there is not enough room for an opener to setup and play in front of their setup, then they will not have an opener.

BlackenedDawn said:
Wow, Strato returns! I thought the performance at Jaxx was a lot better than at Progpower too, surprisingly. Hopefully 3rd time is quite the charm!

Anyone else notice Pyramaze's logo on the "anyone interested in?" section of the Jaxx main page? hmmm.
Yeah, I just saw that last night too. Unfortunately for them the show is on a Sunday and tickets are relatively high. I hope it does well, I want Jaxx to keep booking these acts!

NO!!! Are you serious? That would rock! Hell yeah, I'm interested! I had been hearing about Pyramaze increasingly over the past year and my curiousity was growing, but when they were booked at PP I finally broke down and checked them out. I love these guys!! I can't wait to see their set at PP!! And to be able to possibly catch them again @ home?!?!! Hell yeah!!! I also think it is quite interesting that Pyramaze, a Friay night opener is #3 in the poll -- only 2 votes behind Mercenary, a headliner. Perhaps they should switch places with Thunderstone! :lol:

eaeolian said:
Jaxx is generally pretty full for power metal shows. However - as we're experiencing with Gamma Ray - the "new guard" seem to be drawing better with the, um, "kids" than the "old guard" do. (We'll see what the actual turnout is, but Dragonforce is sold out already, whil GR is still selling tickets. Being in the same week isn't helping, I'm sure.)

I hope Strato does well, but it's still expensive...
That's what I was thinking. I would have never guessed that GR would be WAY outsold by Dragonforce. Sure Dragonforce has buzz going on, but GR is GR!!!! And with all the negative buzz surrounding Timo and the fact that they are "old hat" to some people. With all the recent buzz, I wouldn't be too surprised to see Pyramaze do even better than Strat. Its getting harder to call. And there is no doubt that having 4 big shows the same week is diluting the audience. :( All 4 shows would run ~$86 - not horrible by some concert prices out there, but it seems that most people are feeling more financially squeezed with fuel prices driving everything up.

Agreed!

Jasonic said:
I don't understand when bands like Strato, Gamma Ray, Helloween, etc come just for 5 dates. If they are flying over here anyhow, stay 2 weeks. It makes more sense financially for the band too (IE - ticket sales, t shirt sales, etc).

Ahh!!!!! Business!!!! :)
Actually, bands make damn little on ticket sales especially if the show is not close to selling out. They also have to give a big chunk of the merch take to the venue. Also, due to the greast distances required to travel coast to coast, the cost of touring the U.S. can get mighty steep. Not to mention how long it takes to go between gigs and how exhausting it can be. I've heard several European bands complain about this and how it effects the viability of doing a large U.S. tour. I guess some bands are just trying to find that fine line between getting some exposure in the U.S. and having it blow the budget. They sure aren't making much doing it.

Yeah, I just saw that last night too. Unfortunately for them the show is on a Sunday and tickets are relatively high.
You think Jaxx's prices are high? ($27 i.a./$30 d.o.s.) Check out B.B. Kings, $35.00 Advance
$40.00 Day of Show
And get this:
$65.00 VIP ticket includes first entry into club at 6PM door time and autographed band poster.
That's $15 more than they were charging for this rip-off last year. Add on $25 min. to park and $7 beer, they are clearly the front runner taking adavantage of the masses.

Rick Pierpont said:
Its getting harder to call. And there is no doubt that having 4 big shows the same week is diluting the audience. :( All 4 shows would run ~$86 - not horrible by some concert prices out there, but it seems that most people are feeling more financially squeezed with fuel prices driving everything up.

Yeah, but think about it: For most, catching the weeknight shows means eating out, in addition to driving time, beer, and merch. I've noticed that "kids" (under 21s) generally spend either nothing or about as much in merch as I spend in beer ( ;) ), so all four shows could end up being over $200. That drives people to pick and choose. Even going cheap - and not having to pay for at least one of them - that week's going to hurt for me, and is preventing my wife from coming to see you guys on Saturday, since we can only afford one night of sitter, and she's an Evergrey freak.