strings

razoredge

Jul 22, 2007
OK so whats everyone use one their electrics? Im sure many of you have tried all kinds for tone and feel. Whats your preference? List acoustics too if you like.

Bass players, tell me about bass strings, I have a bass I need new strings for and know nothing about bass.

D'addario 10's or 11's (depends on the guitar) for electric, d'addario EXP 12's (i thing that's what they're called) on steel string acoustic, D'addario pro-arte silverplated-wound Extra Hard tension on my classicals

Ernie Ball Slinky's (9's)
GHS Boomers (9)
When I owned 2 acoustics (both Taylors) I used Elixirs on them, whatever their light guage was.....

I'm not horribly picky about string brands (on electrics), BUT I got sacked with a box of the shitty run of D'Addarios a while back, and have never ever boght a set of them again.

I've got D'Addarios 9's on my guitar now. Brand new strings and they dont sparkle? like I remember new strings doing. I always used to use Ernie Ball 10's heavy bottoms, found an old set laying around and I'm going to put them on next time. 9's are a bit twangy by comparision and I loved the sound of the phat E,A&D strings as well. Bending....... thats another story, but I got used to it.

on electrics I used to use D'Addario 9-46 but my Caparison came with 9-42 and I'm happy to stick with that. Not sure what brand it came equipped with, but I really like them...

on acoustic steel string it came with D'Addario EXP 12-54, but I prefer the Elixirs might try some 11's on there as well...

on Classical i use the D'Addario Pro-Arte EJ46 Hard tension strings, definately very happy with those...

DR strings...absolutely the the best, longest lasting strings I've ever used. They're a little more expensive, but well worth it. Handmade in good ole New Jersey.

9's for me...always have, always will.

If I feel like spending the extra bucks on a set I get Elixirs or DR. I'm not very picky when it comes to strings. 10's-46's for me.

I use ernie ball hybrid slinkys. I like the feel and tone of light gauge strings. With the heavier low strings I can tune down 1 step w/o problem. D'addario makes very good strings too although I use ernie's for the moment.

Usually i get D'addario 10s.. but yesterday i ordered some Medium Top/Heavy Bottom (.011 .014 .018 .030 .042 .052) because most of the time im playing in DGCFAD tuning, and 10s just become too slack and don't have a nice a feel to play as they do when im in E tuning.. so i thought i'd try out a higher gauge and see what its like..

..They've not arrived yet though (i ordered them online.. music shop down the road doesn't sell 'em)

Glad to see a few others using the hybrid Ernie Balls. I found this set of old Ernie Ball strings I had laying around which are what I used to use. I'll switch next restring. They were at that time called "skinny top/heavy bottom" .010, .013, .017, .030, .042, .052. I remember being really pleased when I switched to them last time around :rolleyes:. I'll see how I feel about them this time.

I also found a set of regular 10's = .010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046........ damn, these are vintage strings, maybe I can make the big bucks on ebay.......:lol:

OK so whats everyone use one their electrics? Im sure many of you have tried all kinds for tone and feel. Whats your preference? List acoustics too if you like.

Bass players, tell me about bass strings, I have a bass I need new strings for and know nothing about bass.

DR's most definitely. I really hate d'adarios (so bad i can't even spell them! ). i just love the durability/tones i get out of them, i use 10-52 (dimebag high voltage set). I like having a bass string to chunk on, but I definitely like the medium tops; enough to grab a hold of, but no so tight i can't pick them.