Studio Log Part 2: Preparing for drum tracking, drum micing etc.

Erkan

mr-walker.bandcamp
Jun 16, 2008
Uppsala, Sweden
mr-walker.bandcamp.com
Hey dudes!

Here is part 2 of the series of videos I'm releasing throughout my album's progression. This part is kind of boring for most of you I think because I take it very easy and slowly and I'm mostly explaining stuff that I've already learned from this forum in the first place anyway so there's not much for you to see I reckon. But still, might be fun to watch or something... in any case, I'll try to speed up the uploading for the next couple of parts because it gets a lot more fun after part 4 - I guarantee that! :)

Enjoy! (and subscribe if you haven't already! (god I feel like a whore..)) :D
(it might not be on full quality yet - just uploaded it a few minutes ago)

Last edited by a moderator:
did indeed like it. I know that you like your camera... but you dont need to tell us about the manual focus all the time :D

Haha yeah, actually I forgot that I already told about it once in the first part so I wanted to make sure the point got across - I'm focusing manually OMG OMG LOOK AT ME GUYS! Haha :D

Anyway, there will be no more talk about the camera or the focus in the coming parts, I guarantee you that!

Part 3 will come pretty soon... trying to speed up through part 2 and 3 because they're kind of boring for most, well most of YOU guys at least.

Cool vid man, but don't you mike your cymbals? Or is that in the next video?

Exactly, that's in the next video. But if you referred to close-micing, no I don't do that. Well, I would like to try it but I don't have enough channels :( So I'm just running a pair of OH mics as usual and hope for the best. That is what part 3 will be about and if I remember correctly.. there might be some drum tracking in part 3 too or maybe that's in part 4 ... ah we'll see :)

Good information! Though your talking is a bit boring to listen, but the information is awesome. Keep it up, im curious for more!

Btw, do you have a lot hihat bleed in your snare track?

"In a mirror finish, it's pretty gay" - I lol'd

Cool video. The music was distracting, but I can see why you put it on.

Does the snare mic not get in the way when you're hitting the toms?

A lot of nice information! When I saw the video length of over 9 minutes I thought "uh, shit" but then it was over and I wasn't bored at all. I really liked the way you explained a lot of things about pickup patterns and mic positioning. Well done!

Hey dudes!

Here is part 2 of the series of videos I'm releasing throughout my album's progression. This part is kind of boring for most of you I think because I take it very easy and slowly and I'm mostly explaining stuff that I've already learned from this forum in the first place anyway so there's not much for you to see I reckon. But still, might be fun to watch or something... in any case, I'll try to speed up the uploading for the next couple of parts because it gets a lot more fun after part 4 - I guarantee that! :)

Enjoy! (and subscribe if you haven't already! (god I feel like a whore..)) :D
(it might not be on full quality yet - just uploaded it a few minutes ago)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RljZF9j5x-Q

How are you so good at this? :lol:

I LIVE for vids like this. Great job Erkan, keep 'em coming!

It's surprising how differently drummers will mic their kicks, when I know I'm going to be sample replacing I like to shove the mic in, so I get more click and transient from the beater, vs. having it near the soundhole which tends to pick up more boom (Tad approved!!) and more tom sound. Especially when there's a double kick in play, I find that micing closer to the head really helps out when it comes to editing/mixing.

Great stuff!!!

Nice vid. Finally got to see your ugly mug in all it's glory and not just as an avatar thumbnail!

Ha!

Thanks for the info. I'm sure it will be a great help in the future to others!

Good information! Though your talking is a bit boring to listen, but the information is awesome. Keep it up, im curious for more!

Btw, do you have a lot hihat bleed in your snare track?

Thank you! I agree my talkie talk talk talking talk talk talk isn't the funniest thing in the world to listen to but I figured I had to do it that way just to get it done. I really want to help beginners since we've all been there ourselves and if nobody (this forum) had helped me, I wouldn't be here recording an album today.

Not super much actually but still enough to cause a problem if you REALLY compress the snare. I think it's more of a problem with the toms. The cymbal bleed there is definately harder to combat.

"In a mirror finish, it's pretty gay" - I lol'd

Cool video. The music was distracting, but I can see why you put it on.

Does the snare mic not get in the way when you're hitting the toms?

Hehe glad I made someone lol! :) Yeah the music was put in for two reasons. a) because I knew my talk would get veeeeeeery drawn out and boring and b) because I dig Cloudkicker so hard that I wanted to do some promotion for him :)

Nope, I have sort of taught myself to lift my arms/hands between the toms so I don't become "lazy" and just roll over everything. This allows me to put the mic a bit higher than usual and given the fact that my drums are very tight in terms of space, it's rather difficult finding a decent spot to put the mic at.

A lot of nice information! When I saw the video length of over 9 minutes I thought "uh, shit" but then it was over and I wasn't bored at all. I really liked the way you explained a lot of things about pickup patterns and mic positioning. Well done!

I'm really glad you didn't find it boring! I hope the video is bareable :) Part 3 is going to be kind of boring too but only 6 minutes at least. Then at part 4... the fun begins! So just hang in there hehe :)

I LIVE for vids like this. Great job Erkan, keep 'em coming!

It's surprising how differently drummers will mic their kicks, when I know I'm going to be sample replacing I like to shove the mic in, so I get more click and transient from the beater, vs. having it near the soundhole which tends to pick up more boom (Tad approved!!) and more tom sound. Especially when there's a double kick in play, I find that micing closer to the head really helps out when it comes to editing/mixing.

Great stuff!!!

Hmm yeah I used to think that way too but I discovered that I still get a very good transient when I mic at the hole and I get a sound that is somewhat usable in the mix later. As I said, I like to blend my kick with another instead of simply replacing it 100% and micing close to the beater from the inside sounds like ass for me if I don't have another mic for the bass at the hole or something. Of course it depends mostly on the drummer as well... if the drummer doesn't hit hard and consistently, you can kiss those nice sharp transients goodbye :(

Ross !

ross.jpg

Great video Erkan! :)

Are you gonna talk about mixing and mastering or just the tracking of the album?