Studio Log Part 2: Preparing for drum tracking, drum micing etc.

Ross !

Great video Erkan! :)

Are you gonna talk about mixing and mastering or just the tracking of the album?

Hahahaaaa that cracked me up :D I've had one girl tell me I looked like Ross before but she was the only one to ever say that. I find it hilarious that it's been brought up again, by TWO people too! Don't know if I should be happy or sad though haha :)

I will be talking about the mix and everything too. I'm thinking of picking one song and just breaking it up and showing my approach to the editing and processing of each track. This or these parts will be extra interesting for everyone I think since there is usually no "wrong" way of doing anything since it's all just result based. Watching someone else's work can really inspire and give birth to new ideas sometimes.

Thank you! I agree my talkie talk talk talking talk talk talk isn't the funniest thing in the world to listen to but I figured I had to do it that way just to get it done. I really want to help beginners since we've all been there ourselves and if nobody (this forum) had helped me, I wouldn't be here recording an album today.
Well, i'm a beginner and this information is really usefull!
About the snare mic: I've been learned that you place the snare mic right between the hihat and the snare (with the back of the mic aiming at the hihat).

About the snare mic: I've been learned that you place the snare mic right between the hihat and the snare (with the back of the mic aiming at the hihat).

Slight "correction" there, you try to aim the null-point of the mic towards the hihat. SM57 is cardioid so the null is at the back of the mic, super(hyper)-cardioids have the null point somewhere on the side/back of the mic. Look up the polar pattern from the specs of the mic and apply accordingly. And then listen.

What vespiz says. The goal is to place the hihat where the mic is supposed to be the least sensitive so that it doesn't bleeds too much in your snare track.

Yeah that was amongst the first things I was taught as well but it's very difficult for me to get a mic stand in there since I have no space around the drum kit really. It would've really helped if I had a proper recording room with free space around the damn instrument :(

Yep. I like it. Would love to mix it, but then I'll need some money so my monthly salary doesn't go to hell, so good luck. :)

Cool! Na-uh, the mixing belongs to me! Haha :) No but on a more serious note, it'd be really cool to have someone who knows more to mix this but then again, this is my little baby and I really want to do everything myself so I can use this to sum up all of my skills in one package later when I need to show someone a portfolio or something.

Epic shit man. Killer beats.

\m/ Thank you sir.

I will be talking about the mix and everything too. I'm thinking of picking one song and just breaking it up and showing my approach to the editing and processing of each track.

That would be awesome man!!! To have a full sight of the way you mix, how do you process your tracks, compression, equing....cleaning tom tracks...it would be very interested for anyone even if it´s a noob or experimented...
Keep waiting for more vids dude!

That would be awesome man!!! To have a full sight of the way you mix, how do you process your tracks, compression, equing....cleaning tom tracks...it would be very interested for anyone even if it´s a noob or experimented...
Keep waiting for more vids dude!
This is the kind of video I would have loved when I discovered music production !