Studio Monitors

Novocaine

Feb 4, 2014
Up until now I've been primarily mixing with headphones, mostly because I couldn't treat my room properly. But I want to take the next step.

I've checked the Yamaha HS5, JBL LSR305, and the Genelec 8030B, all 5" (the first two had particularly glowing reviews). I was very disappointed by what I heard, because they didn't sound flat or neutral at all - the Yamaha had an ear-splitting amount of high-end, the JBL had almost no high-end and sounded very boxy, and the Genelec were very muddy. All of them didn't seem to have much depth.

I was wondering whether it was simply because I'm not used to hearing studio monitors, or because my budget was too low (though JBL reviews said that it sounded much better than more expensive monitors). Do you think that this is an inherent part of 5" monitors, and that maybe I should aim for bigger ones?

Anyway, what monitors are you guys using? are you happy with them? do you put them on floor stands or on desk stands? what monitors do you recommend?

yes, i have to use two of these three models as monitors at university, among several others. Far from neutral, almost none of the dedicated "nearfield monitors" i heard are neutral. I can hardly mix on any of these.

My own monitor system is a HK 990 amplifier driving Acoustic Energy Aegis 2, plus a Nubert AW1000 sub. Call me crazy or whatever you like to, but that system sounds a lot more realistic to me

I grabbed a pair of Equator D5's about 5 years back and my mixes instantly got better. I can't judge or compare though because I've never owned any other monitors.

Well everything is relative... I mean, if you are used to a certain sound with your headphones, you might not like most of the other stuff you hear, unless they do sound similar to said headphones. For example, a friend of mine keeps telling me his "Seinheiser HD280" are "flat", and very good for mixing. However, I find they have no bottom at all, and too much high end.

I did put my hands on a Frequency Response curve of those headphones and they indeed have a cut at low frequencies and a boost at higher frequencies.

My point is: Though I was somewhat right about the HD280 not being flat at all, he liked them to mix and was used to them, so I don't see any issues with that.

I own the JBL 305 you mentioned and I like them. They were in my price range, and they sounded the way I wanted them to sound. They have a sound that I am "used to".

When I switch to my headphones, which are slightly brighter and less bassy, I have more difficulties mixing. Not saying they sound bad, just that I am not used to them.

And, not knowing what you ears are used to, I think it'd be difficult to suggest monitors. Maybe if you tell us the headphones you are using, people here could relate and find monitors that have some similarities?

Finally, it is critical that you align the monitors so that their evelation is centered to your ears. Your perception of their sound will be affected a lot by their position, especially elevation.

Thanks for the replies. After another round of comparisons at a different store I settled for the JBLs and I really like them so far. Very smooth and balanced.

If you want low end response right get bigger speaker monitors (ideally 8").
I think Ola Englund mentioned in one of his Q&A that he had Behringer Truth monitors for long time before he upgraded. So I got myself a pair and damn I was surprised how solid subs are coming. It sounds amazing and true. I mainly mix with headphones Senheiser HD600 while my room isn't perfect but speakers aren't falling far behind.
No need for subwoofer that will phase fight with speakers.

Last edited: