studio seven review (starting my own thread, sorry!)

dreaming neon darkspot

natures' retard
May 13, 2002
in times of grace
it was my first time seeing nevermore, i think i'm allowed to feel a little special :Smug::saint:

okay, so, after spending about 7 hrs total on our plane from baltimore, will and i get to seattle. wait about 15 min for a hotel shuttle, get there, and meet eric. will takes out his laptop, since all the computers in the room are being occupied (one by a loud, obnoxious british chick), and we chill in the business room-dealie. will is, among other things, making eric really jealous with all of his super-ultra-rare bootlegs-that-he-gets-because-he's-will.
that goes on for a while and then tyler gets there. exploitation of his accent and canadian-ness commences immidiately.

around 2, we are allowed to check into our adjoining rooms, which are totally snazzy looking. they lack coffee pots and microwaves attatched to mini-fridges, but we can deal. so we chill aroun the rooms for a bit before looking for somewhere to eat. we head in the direction of a food place (the journey initially started by tyler driving on the sidewalk) and find out just how people drive in canada: epicly. we settle on quiznos, then go back to the hotel.

will gets a call from rueben, who is already near studio seven and tells us traffic is murder. we get ready and then leave around 5ish. after that roller coaster-esque drive, we find the place. on the way, we saw a man standing at an intersection with a carboard sign that said something to the effect of "I need beer please." sadly, i didnt get my camera out in time for a picture. and quiznos and tyler's driving are such a great combination that will made several attempts to vomit while walking from the car.

so we get to the club at roughly 5:30 and are told that we aren't allowed in for 2 more hrs, when it opens. we walk to the mcdonalds down the street, and rueben comes in. the 4 of us sit there, traumatizing various families around us with our conversations, until roughly 6:30. walk back to the club and wait at the door. there we meet devy_metal and shoot the shit for another hr, until the doors open.

that is another story entirely

so it's will, eric, tyler, rueben, devy, and i hanging at the front of the stage, as is par for the course. seth-iroth comes by with a friend, and kevin shows up not long after. very shortly after, the show starts.

my memory kinda sucks and the openers all kinda blended together, sucking with little exception, so someone else will have to clean the following list up for me, but here's what i got:

openers (all locals, i'm assuming).
MTF: had the basic hardcore/nu-metal-y look down, and the music also, for the most part. we all liked them fairly well, though, and afterwards were easily able to deem them the best opener ... not that we had a lot to choose from, as we'd soon find out.

some hardcore band: yeah, that's all i really remember about those guys.
*oh yeah, they were called Hatefist. ... yeah, so i remember something that just makes them more retarded instead of distinguished from the other bands.

pent (or something that sounds like that): not hardcore, and that was kinda refreshing ... then kinda boring ... uninspired melodic thrash. they had about 5 min of ble strobe lights and jungle music as their intro, though, and that was damn cool. the jungle music could've stayed.

2-head chang: hardcore. beligerent, bone-headed hardcore tools playing music for RETARDED, fat beligerent bone-headed harcore tool kids. the music wouldn't have been thaaaaat bad if we could've actually listened to it instead of fighting off the pitters and windmill-ers. "WE!! RULE!!" wtf?

drown mary: hardcore-thrash. what was good about them was that they were initally too fast for the kids to really get a pit going to, and they didn't have all that "OUR HARDCORE HEARTS WILL BLEED THROUGH OUR FISTS AND WE LOVE BUTTERFLIES!" song-along type lyrics like cheng. the tools got a pit going soon enough, though, but it wasn't as bad.

okay, so finally all the trendy tough-guy shit got cleared from the stage and it was time for nevermore.

So when do we get your Nevermore review?

I thought the show was fucking awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it was nevermore. they were awesome, what do you expect? :loco:

haha, but yeah. the floor was so packed by that time that we were getting literally crushed against the stage, with will and rueben, at alternate times, keeping my digital camera safe.
medicated nation was a fucking brutal opener, going into voyager perfectly. i cease to recall the rest of the set in exact order, but it was, obviously, flawlessly played and fucking killer. warrel's so great onstage *muaha* and was talking to will (and by defaut me) throughout the whole set ... at one point, he noticed that will and rueben both had their shirts off and asked why i was still wearing one, though.

but yeah, fucking amazing performance. would've been able to enjoy it a little more if the drunk moron who looked like a much thinner and useless version of the singer of martyr with much less awesome wild hair wasn't jamming his way to the front between seth and his friend to drunkenly headbang and not fucking move. that kinda sucked and, despite the efforts of a lot of big dudes and a security guard, he still wouldn't fucking move. taking him and the pit into account, we dealed. someone managed to squeeze in front of him and we were finally rid of that problem for a while.

it returned during the encore of the tge title track. for most of the whole show, will had been standing behind me so i didn't a) get hurt by the moshers and/or b) attempt to hurt the moshers (short fuse and little commen sense doesn't work too well for a small chick at a metal show, i found). now, when they came back for the encore, we noticed that the frizzy-haired fucktard was back, and behind us. i turn and all i see is will falling/getting pulled backwards and his face is livid with rage. i freak, try to pull him forward and am yelling obscenities into the fucktard's face. somehow that gets calmed down, tge finishes and then warrel starts to introduce no more will, mentioning that the mod of their forum always bugs them to play it and, in some way or another, will is pulled onstage. fucking awesome. so while we're watching will onstage with warrel, i'm trying to protect my camera in a pile of my shirts that i merge with rueben's jacket, and then the fucktard makes a break for the front. he's between me, and rueben and eric, and i freak, thinking he's gonna break my camera with his failure at headbanging and winning at being a total idiot.
at that point, the owner of the club, who's pretty big dude, squeezes between us all, too. i'm kinda crushed and still freaking out about my camera, when some middle aged douchebeg wearing a hot topic spike bracelet busts through and has his fucking elbow held against my throat for a good minute.

no fucking idea, but i get back to the front and reach my hand out for will (just as i hear someone behind me screaming *somethng something* BITCH! in my general direction). i grab it and then rueben grabs my leg and boosts me up. i am now onstage with nevermore and will, in front of several hundred people. i think "wtf??? ... awesome!" will puts his arms around me and we pick up singing and headbanging to no more will, warrel handing me his water bottle and joining us on the mic. the song ends, people cheering, screaming, and snapping pictures, will and i both basically astounded and wondering if that'd really just happened.

so we all stumble offstage, will and warrel yelling for the forum people to meet on the side. everyone's basically looking at us with wide eyes and mouths agape, and warrel tells us to wait about a half an hr before he's back. so we stand there attempting to think coherently about what just happened, trying to calm down (im still freaking out about the whole stage rushing and almost-dying thing a little). it's us and some other assorted people, carrie, brad, and their friend (shit, i forgot to mention you guys, too! sorry!!) come over ... van walks by and we are able to talk to him a little ... jeff comes by eventually and we talk to him a good bit, too.
waiting, waiting, no warrel. fairly soon, the security douchebags are yelling at us to leave even though we're telling him the SINGER of the HEADLINING fucking BAND told us to stay there. eventually they get frustrated enough to tell us all to go backstage and find him. we work our way through the labyrinth of practice rooms like a fucking band of hobbits until we see van, then jeff, who tells us where warrel is. finally warrel comes out but he's on his way home, so we only talk to him for like 10 min before he leaves.

we amble back to tyler's jeep, disoriented and beyond belief at the entire night. we're giving rueben a ride home so i have to sit on will's lap an almost die a lot as tyler drives ... and takes on a bunch of fucking hills, comically amost killing a teenage couple as we speed through an intersection. trust us, it was funny.
so we look for a food place or something, park in a mcdonalds lot, get verbally assaulted by a dumbass-looking scene teen chick asking us for money or drugs so she can get home or something. then, walking down the street, we see one crazy old white guy pushing another crazy old white guy in a wheelchair with a guitar and they ask if we want them to sing. will explains that he's deaf and we continue on our merry way.
we get to the 5 points diner, find out there's no room for us, go to a 7-11, and then try to find our way back to tyler's jeep. we drop rueben off at a bus stop and then will and i kinda pass out while tyler and eric figure out how to get back to the hotel.

we get back to the hotel around 4:15, exhausted, sweaty, and totally fucking amazed, and promptly crash.

the end.

(guys, please add anything i missed!)

omg, so yeah, to recap, it was great getting to meet so many people (tyler, rueben, seth, kevin, devy, carrie, brad and whoever i may have missed) and, obviously, see my favorite fucking band for the first time and have all that happen. i'm still tripping off the whole thing like you wouldn't believe.

Ha! Laura -- very comprehensive review! It was great meeting you, finally. I think you looked very natural up there on stage, m'dear and the show wouldn't have been as good without you and Will! ;)

The openers were local bands, and I'm a little more used to seeing them, so I have different opinions about them. I think MTF is pretty good, and somehow I never really cognited on the fact that they were playing that night. I happen to think that 2 Headed Chang is really very good at what they do, but yeah, I've got enough sense to stand well clear of thier mosh pit. They have a pretty strong following, and from my vantage point, well back from the stage, it looked like the crowd quite enjoyed them. Well, those members of the crowd that weren't getting their asses kicked, anyway. One of the musicians that practices at S7 said the guitar player for Pinch was still recovering from a broken hand, and that might explain the lack of solos, leads, or whatever variation was missing from their set. It'd be interesting to hear them when his hand is well, and I liked the opening drum thing, too. Nevermore pretty much just owns, and I love seeing them play live. Overall, it was a great night, but it doesn't sound like WD went through with the independently funded survey he mentioned while introducing Heart Collector, which is a shame; that would have been some interesting fan interaction.

I am sorry that we had to leave so early rather than to hang out with you guys a little more, though. I have learned recently why parents threaten children not to make faces or strike poses lest they freeze like that. It's becuase when you get old enough, shit really does freeze up "like that". And, by "like that", I mean in ways you totally wish it wouldn't. On the brighter side, nobody had to actually hand truck me to the car after all that standing, and I was able to fold myself into it, to get home. I finally got to bed around 3 AM.

Laura,
That was one of the best reviews of a show I've read in a long time.
It makes me feel like I was there with you all. I love little details in a story :D
I'm so happy you guys had a good time!!! With Will by your side you get the special "Will treatment" haha! I think that's awesome you guys were on stage with them,
definitely a dream come true to you, I'm sure!
That's GREAT! I'm happy for you guys,
can't wait to see the pictures!!!

:)

that indeed sounds like it was an awesome time for you, laura. and all the rest of you! but i'm really glad for you especially, since it was your first time seeing nevermore and all. quite the moment. to think it all began with a maxell cassette tape! madness! :headbang:

that indeed sounds like it was an awesome time for you, laura. and all the rest of you! but i'm really glad for you especially, since it was your first time seeing nevermore and all. quite the moment. to think it all began with a maxell cassette tape! madness! :headbang:
haha, i know! i found a bunch of those tapes the other day and was thinking about that. basically, if not for you sending me nevermore cassettes, none of this would've ever happened o_O

nevermore01.jpg

nevermore02.jpg

nevermore03.jpg

nevermore04.jpg

I'd just like to add that Deconstruction was probably one of the best live songs I've heard.

Also, the Frizzy-Haired Fucktard (not me) was a pain in our collective ass for about half the set. During TGE, he decided this was a great time to make his big push for the front, pulling Laura away and trying to shove between me and Eric. We managed to banish him, then he came back for another shot. At that point, Tracy the owner comes shoving through the crowd, grabbing for the FHF, who's sorta halfway wedged himself in.

I grab one of his arms and drag him back, and Eric and Will push him, and together we manage to get him to where Tracy can get a hold of him. So that's all good...and then Tracy just shoves me aside and bulls to the front, dragging the FHF with him, and there I am wondering if that idiot is going to hurl on my jacket or break Laura's camera. Kinda fucked up the end of TGE for me, which is a damn shame because I love that bit.

But hey, whatev, dudes got drunk, shit happened, shit was taken care of. I had a brilliant plan to start pushing people on stage. The plan failed when I decided "Okay, No More Will's almost over...fuck it, I'm going up there and then dragging Tyler and Eric and any other boardies I can reach!" Security was not okay with this. I was not okay with getting kicked out of the club. I hopped back down.

Hell of a show. Brain still somewhat disconnected, also cannot hear or move neck properly. Work will be fun.