(Studying "abroad"/Academia Thread)

You don't pay for a Ph.D. in the U.S. They pay you.

You make this money either by 1) having such a strong application they give you all the money you need and cover tuition or 2) they make you earn your money by working as a teaching assistant or, in the case of students who have passed their qualifying exams after their second or third year, teach your own classes.

At worst they will pay you too little to survive (say hello, Columbia, NYU, University of Chicago) and at best they will give you a living wage relative to your surroundings (Cornell, Yale, Harvard, here's looking at you). In some cases (hi, Brown) they don't pay you at all some of the time, and you depend on being really competitive and being successful at applying for academic fellowships to survive the 5-7 years it takes to complete a Ph.D. (all your M.A.s are for naught once you're in a Ph.D. program, except the useful knowledge you've gained to write a better dissertation).

Flip side of this is that competition for these programs is ferocious. I would guess Cornell, where I've been for 7 years, has about a less than 5% acceptance rate. That's about par for the course for the top 10-15 schools in every field. The schools vary a lot. Ivy League schools tend to proliferate in the top 15 for every field, but the composition always varies.

Again, I have no notion what it looks like for linguistics. If you're interested in other fields aside from linguistics, it's perfectly normal for you to have two more fields to go along with your primary field. Mine is American History, with minor fields in European History (sorry folks, I know British, Spanish, Russian, German and some French history, not anything Scandinavian) and African history / decolonization. But I could have had, say, Musicology as a field if my advisor would have allowed it (in my case, he would have said no and hit me with a book).

OK. So it depends on the land? And there are still ones in which higher-ed. is free?

There are some (actually most). As far as I know all the ex-GDR-states — i.e. Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt, Thuringia, "Meck-Pomm" and Brandenburg — Hesse, North Rhine-Westphalia, Saarland, Schleswig-Holstein, Berlin, Bremen, Rhineland-Palatinate. But as I said there's still a fee of like 100-250€ for social stuff, bus ticket, etc. Here you can find an overview.

You don't pay for a Ph.D. in the U.S. They pay you.

You make this money either by 1) having such a strong application they give you all the money you need and cover tuition or 2) they make you earn your money by working as a teaching assistant or, in the case of students who have passed their qualifying exams after their second or third year, teach your own classes.

At worst they will pay you too little to survive (say hello, Columbia, NYU, University of Chicago) and at best they will give you a living wage relative to your surroundings (Cornell, Yale, Harvard, here's looking at you). In some cases (hi, Brown) they don't pay you at all some of the time, and you depend on being really competitive and being successful at applying for academic fellowships to survive the 5-7 years it takes to complete a Ph.D. (all your M.A.s are for naught once you're in a Ph.D. program, except the useful knowledge you've gained to write a better dissertation).

Flip side of this is that competition for these programs is ferocious. I would guess Cornell, where I've been for 7 years, has about a less than 5% acceptance rate. That's about par for the course for the top 10-15 schools in every field. The schools vary a lot. Ivy League schools tend to proliferate in the top 15 for every field, but the composition always varies.

Again, I have no notion what it looks like for linguistics. If you're interested in other fields aside from linguistics, it's perfectly normal for you to have two more fields to go along with your primary field. Mine is American History, with minor fields in European History (sorry folks, I know British, Spanish, Russian, German and some French history, not anything Scandinavian) and African history / decolonization. But I could have had, say, Musicology as a field if my advisor would have allowed it (in my case, he would have said no and hit me with a book).

I knew about assistant professor (i.e. being someone else's slave :p).

Thanks a lot for the info on the specific Unis.

There are some (actually most). As far as I know all the ex-GDR-states — i.e. Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt, Thuringia, "Meck-Pomm" and Brandenburg — Hesse, North Rhine-Westphalia, Saarland, Schleswig-Holstein, Berlin, Bremen, Rhineland-Palatinate. But as I said there's still a fee of like 100-250€ for social stuff, bus ticket, etc. Here you can find an overview.

Haha Wikipedia is brilliant :) , I'll look into this.

I knew about assistant professor (i.e. being someone else's slave :p).

Thanks a lot for the info on the specific Unis.

Assistant professors are tenure-track junior professors. Teaching assistants are the graduate students who help grade and teach courses. Adjunct / visiting professors are professors that are on contract and are not tenure track. Lecturers / post-doctoral students are essentially lesser paid adjunct professors (in the social sciences / humanities; post-docs have a more defined role in scientific fields).

And then, of course, there are tenured professors. There's a bazillion different names for them (associate, I think, is the basic tenured professor title). And then there are... dun dun dun... endowed professors whose titles are named after donors! They get paid well.

Defiance said:
Just to be clear, since the schedule is different here, courses go from Sept. - Dec., Jan - Apr and Apr - Jun.

Am I right? Is it the same in Sweden and the US?

Also, would I be able to apply for the Jan-Apr period?

In the US the schedule was always Aug - Dec, Jan - May. Here it's Aug/Sep - Jan, Jan - Jun. Just two semesters. It is possible to apply for spring semester.

?! :guh:
You're 24 and already a professor at a university? How did you manage to get your PhD that fast??!
I'm 22 (my birthday is in December) and don't even have my Bachelor (of Science) yet :mad: Will get it this summer, for sure. Could have gotten it one year earlier if I wasn't so lazy and failed too many courses in the first two years, lol.

I got my first PhD when I was 16.

I wished! Haha well the thing is that academic standards in CR aren't very high, so I actually started teaching at the Uni when I had a B.A. I'm now doing my 2nd M.A., and next year I'll hopefully start my first PhD.
22 is still a decent age to have a B.A., and remember, never stop studying. I think most people are quite lazy in the first two years of college; I've never failed any courses in my life, but I almost failed an Astronomy one in my first year haha.

So yes, I'll finally leave, so as not to be drowned by the flood of mediocrity that is CR. I even wrote a poem about it (loosely based one Toxicity hahaha).

ah yes that makes sense. Here, the standards are quite high before someone can call himself a "professor".

Never stop studying ehh, I don't think so! Will definitely call it quits after getting my (first and last) M.A.
And even with "just" a BSc (in Applied Physics, which is what I'm studying) one should be able to find a nice job easily, it's just that I have absolutely no desire to go to work yet and there are some cool master's programs anyway, so why the heck not :)

You need a Ph.D. to teach in most, if not all non-arts / professional related fields in the US. You also have barely a shot in hell at a professorship if you didn't come from a top 20-25 dept in you field. If your work is amazing then that will compensate, but part of the trick is that it takes someone of talent to develop talent. When you're fighting for your financial life outside the top universities (and even then, it's a cash-strapped endeavor), it's hard to produce good work.

As for schedules... some schools have trimesters, rather than semesters. Just varies by universities. Most schools get sometime between June and August off, though. Trimester schools tend to start in September.

ah yes that makes sense. Here, the standards are quite high before someone can call himself a "professor".

Never stop studying ehh, I don't think so! Will definitely call it quits after getting my (first and last) M.A.
And even with "just" a BSc (in Applied Physics, which is what I'm studying) one should be able to find a nice job easily, it's just that I have absolutely no desire to go to work yet and there are some cool master's programs anyway, so why the heck not :)

Of course, that's precisely why I'm leaving. Education here is weird, it really depends a lot on the professor. I've been lucky enough to have really excellent professors (PhDs from Germany and the US). But hey, when I was in the 1st year of my BA I knew my English was better than my professors'.

You need a Ph.D. to teach in most, if not all non-arts / professional related fields in the US. You also have barely a shot in hell at a professorship if you didn't come from a top 20-25 dept in you field. If your work is amazing then that will compensate, but part of the trick is that it takes someone of talent to develop talent. When you're fighting for your financial life outside the top universities (and even then, it's a cash-strapped endeavor), it's hard to produce good work.

As for schedules... some schools have trimesters, rather than semesters. Just varies by universities. Most schools get sometime between June and August off, though. Trimester schools tend to start in September.

Indeed! Academia is really hard, everywhere. Not sure how I feel about academia in the US because of stuff like this. Don't get me wrong, I know the Unis are great, but US society scares the shit out of me.

like this. Don't get me wrong, I know the Unis are great, but US society scares the shit out of me.

1) That happened in Alabama (LOL)
2) That was a failure of the judicial system wherever the hell she lived before, she had murdered her brother 20 years ago

I don't think that story is reflective of academia in the US. I can't remember any other instance in US history where a department chair got shot for denying someone tenure lol

1) That happened in Alabama (LOL)
2) That was a failure of the judicial system wherever the hell she lived before, she had murdered her brother 20 years ago

I don't think that story is reflective of academia in the US. I can't remember any other instance in US history where a department chair got shot for denying someone tenure lol

True, she has always been mad. It's amazing how they never did a background check on her. But I've certainly heard of other people going insane at Unis (not only in the US, Montréal too). I remember one case that a student shot his thesis director on the head because the latter made some corrections.

True, she has always been mad. It's amazing how they never did a background check on her. But I've certainly heard of other people going insane at Unis (not only in the US, Montréal too). I remember one case that a student shot his thesis director on the head because the latter made some corrections.

I never heard of that one. I wonder where it was.

What you have a problem with is suicides, and I think both American and Chinese universities share this problem. Both unis I've attended had 2-3 suicides a year. Last year Cornell had three in like a month period!

I never heard of that one. I wonder where it was.

What you have a problem with is suicides, and I think both American and Chinese universities share this problem. Both unis I've attended had 2-3 suicides a year. Last year Cornell had three in like a month period!

That's what the article on Wired said; basically a department chair saying "we should've done a background check on her. I don't know why we didn't".

Wow I thought the problem was more of a shooting-rampage sort of thing. Suicides huh? Very interesting. Hahahaha damn three in one month, that's a lot! Do people get depressed or what? I'd like to read/see some reasons for all the suicides.
Speaking of Chinese suicides, I guess you'd like Wired's hmmm, March cover feature? It's about the suicides at Apple's factories in China.