Stupid questions

Violens

Jun 14, 2007
I read the FAQ topic before posting this, but I haven't found what I was looking for..so here they are:

1)What's the story behind the concept of Ghost Reveries? I translated for me the whole album but I can't link all the lyrics into a complete "narration".

2) Why (again about GR) is used an open tuning? It reminds me of the strange ones Dire Straits adopted..

1) Although GR was going to be a concept, Mike included some songs which arent part of it. No idea which is which but its been confirmed GR ISNT a concept

2) Mike used open D minor tuning I believe, for the sake of experimenting. Until then they had almost entirely used standard tuning. Open D tuning allowed for different chords, open string techniques, etc to be used.

1) Although GR was going to be a concept, Mike included some songs which arent part of it. No idea which is which but its been confirmed GR ISNT a concept

2) Mike used open D minor tuning I believe, for the sake of experimenting. Until then they had almost entirely used standard tuning. Open D tuning allowed for different chords, open string techniques, etc to be used.

Thx.

Yet I'm sure that I heard him saying (during an interview) that GR is an occult story..btw if someone knows the exact "plot"..again thx.

Isolation Years was the song that kinda ended the whole concept album idea. Mikael liked the lyrics so much that he decided to include it anyway, compromising the concept.

Someone did a good interpretation on the album's theme, but I can't find it anywhere now. It's basically something about the main character making a deal with the devil (to save his mother's life?) and then being betrayed by him, which leads to a chase... can't remember exactly how it was, but it sounded convincing.

Someone did a good interpretation on the album's theme, but I can't find it anywhere now. It's basically something about the main character making a deal with the devil (to save his mother's life?) and then being betrayed by him, which leads to a chase... can't remember exactly how it was, but it sounded convincing.

Ah, that sounds new to me. From what I understood the main character sees that the mother has become an evil ghost (?) and in some way he becomes so scarred but at the same time so fascinated that he betrays everyone and even his wife/girlfriend (Rosemary?) to become a serve of the devil or something like that..but this version of mine is surely completely fucked up :lol:
What it's not so clear is the fact that in TGC he is evoking the devil but it seems an event that is not in right timeline of the whole happenings of the concept. Another thing I can't completely understand is why the devil should like him to bury something beneath a mire (I have to admit that probably is a symbolical place..) and wtf the harlequin forest is..

Damn, I wish I could find the interpretation, it was very well done, save a few logical flaws.

I think Rosemary was Mikael's grandmother. Isolation Years has nothing to do with the storyline.

Damn, I wish I could find the interpretation, it was very well done, save a few logical flaws.

I think Rosemary was Mikael's grandmother. Isolation Years has nothing to do with the storyline.

Don't waste your time looking for that, it's not so important :lol:
Thanks a lot, however..

I had just posted when I read the last song is not part of the concept; so it ends with TCG..this proves once again my interpretation was a shit :kickass:

Ah, that sounds new to me. From what I understood the main character sees that the mother has become an evil ghost (?) and in some way he becomes so scarred but at the same time so fascinated that he betrays everyone and even his wife/girlfriend (Rosemary?) to become a serve of the devil or something like that..but this version of mine is surely completely fucked up :lol:
What it's not so clear is the fact that in TGC he is evoking the devil but it seems an event that is not in right timeline of the whole happenings of the concept. Another thing I can't completely understand is why the devil should like him to bury something beneath a mire (I have to admit that probably is a symbolical place..) and wtf the harlequin forest is..

To be honest I havent really looked at the lyrics to this album in depth. But you mention he betrays his wife Rosemary to make a deal with the devil? Interesting. If you have seen the movie Rosemary's Baby, the husband (about to spoil the plot for those who havent seen it!) makes a deal that the devil can use his wife to carry his son. So the women (his wife Rosemary) gets pregnant with the son of satan. Not sure if Mike got his ideas from that movie but its an interesting similarity I thought o_O

To be honest I havent really looked at the lyrics to this album in depth. But you mention he betrays his wife Rosemary to make a deal with the devil? Interesting. If you have seen the movie Rosemary's Baby, the husband (about to spoil the plot for those who havent seen it!) makes a deal that the devil can use his wife to carry his son. So the women (his wife Rosemary) gets pregnant with the son of satan. Not sure if Mike got his ideas from that movie but its an interesting similarity I thought o_O

Never seen that movie, but seems quite interesting :)

In here, btw, other users say that the last track in not concerned with all the rest..so it would have been a good interpretation, but we can't use it! :lol:

If everyone has got other ideas about that..

If you like I can even finish my thought about the "supposed to be, but not right" :lol: GR concept..

There's no such thing as a stupid question. Just stupid people asking questions.

I'm here just since some day and thus I'm going to be more polite than how you have just been; so I won't say nothing more..but it's just for the first time..next I won't be so "kind" in replying, ok?

well rosemary's baby is a movie about the occult and the whole "son of satan" thing is a primary concept in occult. no surprises here

At least..can you find or tell me how to search for that link?

Thx..

as they said already: Mikael had the idea to make it a conceptalbum about something occult (with different aspects of contacts with the devil I think), but it turned out differently when he wrote Isolation Years. after that the idea of the concept was put aside ... so there are more parts in it that have nothing to do with the original idea!

and it's also a fact that the order in which the songs appear on the album are not according to a timeline of the original concept. there has been an interview where they said that they talked about the order in which to put the songs.
so if you really want to reconstruct the original concept (which wasn't even finished), than you have to puzzle with all the different parts (and perhaps there are bits cut out of it). but I don't think the concept was a real story, but more like different aspects of the devil or something like that. so you really are waisting your time :p ... perhaps you can spend it better at creating your own story.