Summoning--Dol Guldur

BloodSword

Jan 30, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I misplaced this album awhile ago, and just recently found it buried in my collection. That will never happen again for Dol Guldur, IMO, is one of the best BlackMetal records ever. I've appreciated most of Summoning's work, but this is their best. The marriage of composition between Classical and BlackMetal is complete brilliance. This is (for me) better than their latest "Oath Bound." The vocals are excellent on this as well. So, any reaction from this forum?:err:

i hope they will find a real drummer soon, good band, but i cant stand that drum programming shit anymore

i hope they will find a real drummer soon, good band, but i cant stand that drum programming shit anymore
Even if they did get a real drummer there wouldn't be that big a difference. Since Minas Morgul Summoning has predominantly used a military style drum beat which is quite mechanical in nature.

Regardless Summoning is great. Every album is magical and stands on its own.

I absolutely love Summoning. I own three of their albums, but Dol Guldur is not one of them. I'll be buying within the next few months though, but next on my list is Minas Morgurl.

My favorite song by them is probably off their new CD; Land of the Dead.

Summoning, have this awesome ability to "build" their songs. Unlike some bands, they compose layer upon layer to construct a magnificent song. Brimming with atmosphere and beautiful melody. If I'm correct, Silenius and Protector also play in Abigor.

Summoning, have this awesome ability to "build" their songs. Unlike some bands, they compose layer upon layer to construct a magnificent song. Brimming with atmosphere and beautiful melody. If I'm correct, Silenius and Protector also play in Abigor.
Not anymore. And yes, definitely agreed with what you said.

I am beginning to like this band, I love the tribal drums and sound effects....

imo this band would be very successful if it wasn't just limited to the black metal genre.

When everyone heard them for the first time, were you suprised with what you heard? I sure as hell was. They took a while to grow on me too.

I went and purchased "Dol Guldur" a few years ago without even hearing it, just reading all the praise it got as being one of the best black metal albums ever. I was expecting something more raw and typical, but was blown away by the slow, tribal like feel.