Summoning--Dol Guldur

Summoning is an excellent band for what they are doing now. Why should/would they change? In terms of musical evolvement or honing their skills more, I can see your point Metal Wrath, but this band is really like no other in Black Metal. I've read reviews on OB (anus.com) where it states OB is "dominant over anything else in Black Metal in the last 10 yrs."(paraphraseing). I don't agree. Ob, in comparison to DG just kinda drags for me, that being said, It still is a very good work from this band. Much better than other Black Metal from 2006 with 1 or 2 exceptions.

I think Summoning shouldn't be labeled as Black Metal. It's clearly not. The only "black" aspect about them is the vocals, and it's not enough to tag their music as such.

Sadguru, I can agree somewhat. Listen to the structure of the songs on DG or any Summoning album. Along with the vocals and guitars there is an absolute Black Metal emphasis, and certainly the atmosphere of their music. For me, their amazing talent lies within the ability to compose with a Classical foundation and to forge that with the arrangments of Black Metal. I think if you remove the vocals, guitars and Black metal aesthetic they would sound like hundreds of bands doing Classical-inspired-Tolkien-middle earth wander-shit. Just my opinion.

Sadguru, I can agree somewhat. Listen to the structure of the songs on DG or any Summoning album. Along with the vocals and guitars there is an absolute Black Metal emphasis, and certainly the atmosphere of their music. For me, their amazing talent lies within the ability to compose with a Classical foundation and to forge that with the arrangments of Black Metal. I think if you remove the vocals, guitars and Black metal aesthetic they would sound like hundreds of bands doing Classical-inspired-Tolkien-middle earth wander-shit. Just my opinion.

Humm, honestly, I don't see any black metal aesthetic in their music (except for the blackened vocals). As far as I'm concerned, the hole black metal "aura" just isn't there. Then again, I haven't checked out their first 2 releases. To me, the music is MUCH closer to what, say Vangelis is doing than any black metal bands out there.

I disagree, they have an obvious Black Metal feel to their music, such as in "Land of the Dead", where they have a sinister sounding although classical influenced sound. I was stating that they prob be more popular if they weren't tagged with the black metal tag...

Humm, honestly, I don't see any black metal aesthetic in their music (except for the blackened vocals). As far as I'm concerned, the hole black metal "aura" just isn't there. Then again, I haven't checked out their first 2 releases. To me, the music is MUCH closer to what, say Vangelis is doing than any black metal bands out there.

On what basis? Most of the basic technique is derived from black metal, and the band's conceptual stance is clearly in line with black metal. Their medievalist approach to making black metal isn't all that different from, say, Burzum.

I have only heard Stronghold but I thought it was repetitive and bland, I ended up getting rid of the cd but I did enjoy the side project Die Verbanten Kinder evas. I have had people tell me Stronghold is Summonings worst album, maybe I will check out Dol Guldur since I have only heard positive things about this release.

On what basis? Most of the basic technique is derived from black metal, and the band's conceptual stance is clearly in line with black metal. Their medievalist approach to making black metal isn't all that different from, say, Burzum.
Burzum and Summoning are miles and miles ahead between eachother. Despite the fact that both Burzum and Summoning music is inspired by tolkien, the interpretation or output expression is radically different. Anyone who denies this don't understand either of those bands' vision.

They've chosen to emphasize somewhat different aspects of a fundametally similar ideal - but they're hardly radically different in what they express or even how they express it.

Armageddon, I agree. To these ears, I hear Burzum-esque guitars. Strings and horns relate to DCD. Summoning's work has a "sountrack" feel to it. Maybe that's why the Vangelis comparison?

Burzum's music is much personal, nihilistic and anchored in the "I" and "We" point of view. It is fueled by a social context. It is cold, raw and fundamentally hopeless (especially in the filosofem era).

On the other end of the spectrum, Sumonning's is impersonal and novelistic in fashion. Its context is imaginary. Far from being desperate and hopeless, the music is heroic, majestic and hymnal.

Honestly, people wouldn't think of Summoning as a black metal band if it wasn't for the vocals. The band included.

I still only own newer stuff by this band, namely "Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame" and "Oath Bound," neither of which really "do it" for me compared to the stuff I've heard off of "Dol Guldur" and "Minas Morgul." I need to get off my stupid ass, make some money, and buy me those damn albums!

they're just not bm. although, their influence and inspiration is clearly bm. i wouldn't know what to classify them as, but bm wouldn't fit in the same way that dm or folk metal wouldn't fit.