Summoning--Dol Guldur

sure, summoning is a "metal" band. theyre not "ambient". theyre not "darkwave". theyre certainly not "indie" or "pop" or whatever else. their roots are in black metal for a multitude of obvious reasons (as well as their debut album). but theyre simply a band which transcended a specific tag, and deservedly so. besides...who really gives a shit? theyre one of the absolute very few "metal" bands who you know exactly for sure who it is when you listen to it and cant mistake them for anyone else.

Reactions: Demilich
sure, summoning is a "metal" band. theyre not "ambient". theyre not "darkwave". theyre certainly not "indie" or "pop" or whatever else. their roots are in black metal for a multitude of obvious reasons (as well as their debut album). but theyre simply a band which transcended a specific tag, and deservedly so. besides...who really gives a shit? theyre one of the absolute very few "metal" bands who you know exactly for sure who it is when you listen to it and cant mistake them for anyone else.
there it is.:headbang:

Reactions: NFU
Thank you. And I give a SHIT!! The post was to dicuss Dol Guldur musically as opposed to other albums by this band, and to determine what others thought on this forum.

I asked for Minas Morgul for Christmas. I can't wait until I get it heh. Then comes Dol Guldur...

Any band worth its salt transcends genre to some extent (that is, can appeal to intelligent listeners who are not necessarily fans of a genre).

On the other hand, I think a lot of people who enjoy Summoning have an animus against black metal for one reason or another, and they would rather the band not be considered black metal, though they clearly are.

plenty of top quality bands dont necessarily transcend genres. but thats not something we need to argue here i think.

and i totally agree that much of summonings fanbase kicks and screams that theyre not some super elite genre tag rather than black metal, in which they cant stomach the mainstays and typical bands of that style.

My point is more that one doesn't have to be a huge death metal fan to enjoy Morbid Angel or a huge speed metal fan to enjoy Slayer or huge hardcore fan to enjoy Dishcharge, even though they're all emblematic examples of their styles. Great art transcends style inasmuch as it appeals to something beyond a love of a particular aesthetic approach.

My point is more that one doesn't have to be a huge death metal fan to enjoy Morbid Angel or a huge speed metal fan to enjoy Slayer or huge hardcore fan to enjoy Dishcharge, even though they're all emblematic examples of their styles. Great art transcends style inasmuch as it appeals to something beyond a love of a particular aesthetic approach.

seriously, do you TRY to post in as many words as possible? this barely even needed saying whatsoever.