Summoning

Pitiless Wanderer

Jun 14, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Would it be held as a minority opinion to say that Summoning is perhaps (but in all likelihood probably) in the top 5 metal bands of the past 20 years? I honestly can't find any flaws with their music. The melodies are hypnotizing and the mood they create is almost euphoric. Pardon the romanticism but this is quite an under rated and impressive duo. What do you guys think about this band? Do you have a favorite album by them? I want to say Stronghold but the more I listen to Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame the less inclined I am to hold that as true. The earlier work is, of course, of a different nature but still excellent. Track down the EP's as well, if you find them, because they contain some good songs as well.

NP - Summoning - The Land of the Dead

they've become increasingly formulaic and i'm no longer excited about hearing new material from the band, but they nonetheless have a formidable discography with a unique vision. 'dol guldur' remains my clear favourite.

There music has such an atmosphere to it... it makes my balls twinge... in such a good way. Every time I listen to there music (new or old) I find I enter a trance of sorts. I definitely can relate to the euphoric feeling. Favorite album probably has to be Stronghold.

Summoning are one of my favourite bands at all and I think it is the band with longest lasting value. I will never grow tired of Summoning. I love all their albums. Period.

If I was forced to choose a favourite, it would perhaps be Dol Guldur but Stronghold and Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame are definitely close. And then there are all the other albums with epic standout tracks like "Flight of the Nazgul" from Lugburz and "Land of the Dead" from Oath Bound.

I still have yet to listen to DOl Guldur, but out of all their other albums I reallllly love stronghold, and "land of the dead" off their last album is so beautiful

This is a joke?

Lord of the Rings obsessed "black metal".

Here's some flaws: They can be boring as hell and a little too much atmospherics not enough Metal, songs like "Land of the Dead" are creeping on Pop territory.

In a list of top 200 Metal bands of the last two decades I wouldn't include Summoning.

That post has a lot of stupid, but oh well.

Minas Morgul is my favorite, but Stronghold is quite excellent as well. Maybe not top 5 all time for me, but certainly top 5 black metal bands along with a band the are constantly compared to, Graveland.

Catchiness isn't the definition of pop music and Summoning is better music than you. What do you even dislike about it? That the lyrics are taken from Tolkien? The songs are longer than 5 minutes? Too much atmospherics, what the fuck does that even mean? You're an idiot.

Actually, he asked if it would be in the minority opinion if Summoning was proclaimed one of the best ever, to which, instead of acting like a doofus, you should have simply said "yes".

Then he asked what we thought of the band. Some like them, some do not, which qualifies as discussion. Then he asked which is our favorite album, to which many answered, which also qualifies as discussion.

Wow, discussing music on a music forum.

Deron, this is beyond a fucking difference of opinion. Look at what he's actually saying.

I agree everyone's entitled to their opinion, and this is only my opinion. The first sentence of the OP just seems ridiculous to me. Summoning are a good band but they are practically the Celine Dione of black metal.

I agree everyone's entitled to their opinion, and this is only my opinion. The first sentence of the OP just seems ridiculous to me. Summoning are a good band but they are practically the Celine Dione of black metal.

Dimmu Borgir would qualify first and foremost. The problem is that your opinion just makes no sense.