Summoning

I still don't like Summoning. I've given up on them entirely after years of trying to understand their appeal. It's not that I find them boring (I listen to dark ambient for christ's sake), it's that I find them intolerably corny. I actually like the idea of Summoning more than I like the actual music, which is infuriating because I feel like this is something I should like. I just can't stand the execution of it, which I think compels some to look at me as though I'm being shallow or something, as though I'm letting some insignificant aesthetic thing get in the way of my appreciation. But I think that's wrong-headed. The various ways a song can be executed are also part of the musical language. Some of this stuff sounds epic and I would go so far as to say that some of the compositions are in some sense quite good, but then they have to go and ruin it everytime by throwing in that Casio on generic flute setting or whatever. I wouldn't enjoy hearing Beethoven played on kazoos (if that were even possible), so why should I overlook this sort of factor when I'm listening to metal? I feel like if I ignored this band for the rest of my life I wouldn't be missing out on much.

After some thorough listening, Stronghold may graduate eventually as my favorite Summoning, being that it's their most rhythmically arresting and guitar-driven work. The minimalism and repetition are significantly reduced compared to their previously artificially drawn-out albums;it's got better pacing and the music is actually pleasantly upbeat, and due to the fact that Summoning often try to match the vocals to the music, they actually feel more lively and less invasive in the mix than say, Dol Guldur. So yea, good album, I need to listen to it some more. I still don't like the last two songs though
Conversely, Minas Morgul is the odd handicapped cousin paying poor homage to SNES classics of yesteryear.

I actually like the idea of Summoning more than I like the actual music, which is infuriating because I feel like this is something I should like.

I'm surprised that you actually think you "should" like them, because they can be quite symphonic at times; I believe this is the aesthetic you were referring to (the heavy use of keys and folk instruments).

Anyway, I've always found that the soundscapes they create are extremely successful at evoking the themes/concepts which their music is about. They tend towards the dark side of mythology and fantasy, which I think is awesome; and while there is a significant element of cheese (inherent in any fantastical concept), I think they balance it well with a droning, melancholy darkness that pervades their entire catalogue. Just really such an interesting, unique sound.

After some thorough listening, Stronghold may graduate eventually as my favorite Summoning, being that it's their most rhythmically arresting and guitar-driven work.

Some of my favorite tracks are on that album.

.....Summoning is one of the most original black metal bands imo, although I wish they would release a new album soon but I would egarly wait for their next one for as long as needed.....
.....Whatever anybody say I am a "Summoning" fan till now.....

metal_wrath should just get banned already.

Summoning is a great band, but not one of the most flawless bands of all time.

I'm not new. You're just an idiot. I don't think that I've seen a single post where you aren't being a fag and insulting people or acting like you're above them.

You are the one typing random insults.

On topic, I tried to listen to a Summoning album yesterday but I turned it off before the second drum pattern.

.....Don't bother trying to listen to Summoning please.....
I don't think you will ever like them.Besides Summoning already has enough fans.....

Yeah! I just re-discovered Pazuzu, damn am I glad. I listened to them something like 7-8 years ago but then completely forgot about them. Pazuzu is better than Summoning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Conversely, Minas Morgul is the odd handicapped cousin paying poor homage to SNES classics of yesteryear.

Best sentence in this thread so far.

But, yea, Summoning seems to be a band that either people will like or they will hate. There's no middle-ground with them. The cheese factor does come out all of their albums, but they're good at creating that fantasy-driven atmosphere that their albums are meant to evoke.

The Casio keyboard flute synth does get to me after awhile.

Yeah! I just re-discovered Pazuzu, damn am I glad. I listened to them something like 7-8 years ago but then completely forgot about them. Pazuzu is better than Summoning.

ive heard all of Pazuzus works, and Awaken the Dragon and And All Was Silent do have some good songs. but no way in hell do those three albums come close to summoning.

that's cool. Pazuzu just comes off as to ritualistic. but Pazuzu is still cheesy as hell. like when he's naming off demons and then worshiping Lilith. I mean, c'mon man, that's pure velveeta.

metal in general is cheesy. carcass spouting off medical dictionary terms, hypocrisy yapping about aliens, south carolina hicks growling about egyptians, norwegians screaming about blazes in the northern sky, and ancestors they never knew, and mighty ravendark, and then you have power metal.

Metal is cheese. And if you don't see that, you need to not take yourself so seriously. Is it art? Sure. I love it just as much as you do. But lets call a spade, a spade.

BTW, all of that was not directed at you, Runk. Only the first paragraph