sunnO))) live

I do not really like SunnO))) but, I do like that they're a band that doesn't sound like every other band out there. At least they have some originality - to the point where I can hear it and say "Hey, that's SunnO)))". Not many bands have a unique sound, and I actually admire them for that. Wouldn't mind checking them out at least once.

i dont think ive come anywhere near them yet man
they've had 10 years of practice at manipulating sound and feedback to sculpt huge atmospheric compositions, i havent.

I want to like this band, but it's just so boring. I think Sunn is that type of band people say they like because it makes the listener part of a special group who "get" it. It's kinda like when people say they like the worst album a band has put out, and they claim it's their best album (i know it's subjective, but pinkerton is not the best weezer album).

Converge fans are kinda the way i'm describing. I like converge though, not trying to knock them.

I guess the only way I can understand Sunn is that it's weird performance art.

*shrug*
i always got the impression its nearly all just potheads who really like the sound of feedback

I have some questions for Sunno's fans:

- Do they improvise or they always play the songs the same way?
- Can you guess what song are they playing listening only to 1 minute?
- How do they know when to change the 'chord'?
- How many BPM do they play? 1 or 2?
- Do they know how to play guitar?
- Is the band some kind of humoristic or are they serious?
- Do you like Dragonforce?

Don't pretend to offend anyone, but couldn't avoid asking.

Quote of the Day Award goes to: Jevo

For bringing the truth in lulz. :D

I want to like this band, but it's just so boring. I think Sunn is that type of band people say they like because it makes the listener part of a special group who "get" it.
I agree with this. I think that this band has some true fans but beyond that they also have this tremendous cult hype that encourages lots of people to work at liking them.

To me it relates to this theory I have about John Zorn:
I speculate that 95% of all copies of Naked City sold get played exactly once. However, they get pointed to on the shelf and left out conspicuously on a regular basis. "Look what a serious listener I am. I also read Chomsky and date girls because I find them intellectually challenging."

Total conjecture of course and way off topic.

To me it relates to this theory I have about John Zorn:
I speculate that 95% of all copies of Naked City sold get played exactly once. However, they get pointed to on the shelf and left out conspicuously on a regular basis. "Look what a serious listener I am. I also read Chomsky and date girls because I find them intellectually challenging."

Any real Jorn Zorn fans are too busy listening to Painkiller d00d. :D
Jazz Grindcore represent. Naked City are pretty overrated IMO. Leng Tch'e's good though.

If I were stoned off my ass, the last thing I would want to do is see a sun concert. Everything just seems so much slower when you're high, I can't imagine their "music" being any fucking slower, and I don't think I would want to.

I always thought the evolution of music would eventually just lead to noise, because people would run out of ideas. I guess I was right.

am i suppost to feel really uncofortable listening to this, it just feels like pure anticipation that never ends.

am i suppost to feel really uncofortable listening to this, it just feels like pure anticipation that never ends.

Is that not a good thing?
Music is a powerful tool to make you feel things you don't usually feel. The best thing about Sunn is their music puts you in such a weird state.

except for monoliths and dimensions on vinyl, that was probably the most zen ive ever been in my life.

:OMG: Between the music you listen to, the fact that every piece of gear you own seems to be extremely crusty and old, and that you live in Holland, this comes as a great surprise to me :lol:

That makes two of us! :)

Which reminds me, I haven't gotten blazed since I've been in Europe. Wow, I need to get on that!

-Joe

i like Sunno))), but i don't talk about it or leave my CDs out, or wear it as a badge of "coolness" or whatever (although i do totally know the type of "fan" Egan is talking about)... to me they, and bands similar to them... the good ones anyway... evoke emotions that i don't get from other forms... it's disturbing, hypnotic... i like that. i also have been getting into some other really lo-fi, noisy stuff.... all of it really different. Khanate, Greymachine, Lurker Of Chalice, Nihill, Wolves In The Throne Room, Culted, Rossetta, Phobos....but then i'll lilsten to jazz for 3 days straight,
shrug.gif

murph you should get monoliths and dimensions on vinyl :) its beautifullllll

Nope, can't get into this. It's so boring after about 3 mins. I checked 5 vids (about 50 mins worth) and it was as if I was still listening to the first 3 mins. I can't imagine I would like it live either. By Gareth's description I would find it panic inducing. Don't like being disoriented, loathe that chocking bass feeling.

Also, they look retarded. IMO of course.

Nope, can't get into this. It's so boring after about 3 mins. I checked 5 vids (about 50 mins worth) and it was as if I was still listening to the first 3 mins. I can't imagine I would like it live either. By Gareth's description I would find it panic inducing. Don't like being disoriented, loathe that chocking bass feeling.

Also, they look retarded. IMO of course.

I saw its sober and couldnt get into it...so i smoked and watched it again and i still really wasnt into it, just not sure if it was my being stoned that allowed me to watch the full vid or being too stoned to actually lift my arm to hit the stop button...looking at the wall of amps though im sure the live experience has to have some sort of disturbing effect on you