SW IV in 2010

AndreasBlomqvist

Mr. Bassman
Apr 19, 2008
www.seventhwonder.nu
Hi guys and gals!

The fourth SW album is now more or less completely written. As we speak we are in the midst of demoing the tracks, working with arrangements and trying out lyrical ideas etc. As the album was written we have also spent time finishing our own studio (Studio Wonderland) which is where we will record the next album.

We plan to hit the studio sometime late spring although no specific date has been finalized. The time and place of the mix is still a work in progress.

We believe that this will be a worthy follow-up to MF and it will have a couple of surprises and a couple of classic SW-tunes, and perhaps something in between.

We will disclose progress as it happens in this thread.

Stay tuned!

I look forward to the next SW offering with great anticipation, though Mercy Falls and Waiting in the Wings will certainly hold me over until you're ready to blow me away again.

Thanks for the update. And thanks for the just announced "Encore" show on Saturday at ProgPower USA in September. I can hardly wait. I'm so excited.

:Smokin:

Good news!
I hope everything will work out fine in Studio Wonderland.

Andreas, I do have a question.
The production - which you guys are responsible for yourselves - on WITW and MF are awesome (the sound is huge and everyone of you can be heard crystal clear).
Tommy Hansen mixed and mastered WITW/MF but I read in an interview that you guys no longer will be working with him due to different opinions/views.

Will you mix and master the album yourself or are you guys hiring an 'outside guy'? Is mixing and mastering responsible for the 'end-sound' of the album or is the production-phase responsible for the sound?

Greetz, Kazar

P.S. All the best to you and your wife in the next couple of weeks. It must be an exciting time.........almost being a dad!

About the mix:

- I would say that the mixing is really what defines the final sound of an album. At least these days. In the old days the recording was more important than it is today, even though you do of course need decent microphones to make it good enough.
We will absolutely hire an outsider for the mix. We tried to assist ourselves on Become and we all know how that turned out.... :saint:

About the child;
-it actually popped out on the 25th so we are in family bliss as we speak!!

Hola!

We have arranged all songs (number and titles tba...) and also finalized the studio setup preparations. The quest to find a suitable place to mix the album goes on but other things are slowly but surely falling into place.

Now, SW will hit the studio to officially start recording the fourth album on April 3rd. Look out for more news, updates and studio-log as we get closer.

More info as time progresses...

I really do hope you guys find someone who makes the sound as huge as it was on the last 2 albums (or even bigger).

The production really can 'make or brake' an album. Look at the last Brainstorm cd; the songs themselves are -mostly- pretty good but the production of that album is really eh.......not good.

However, let the 3rd of April be the beginning of yet another masterpiece. Good luck in the studio!

Hi SW,

I only recently found out about Seventh Wonder, and I really love your music - it makes me happy somehow, due to the brilliance of it. Stunning. Keep on rocking like that!

As much as I'm a newbie to SW, may I already post a request for the upcoming album, having seen that production is a subject here, and that a change in production personnel is on the way:
Please keep away from the "loudness race" if your work really means something to you (yeah, do a google search if it's new to you).

Yes, this is more or less the SOP of today...
It is however not always as easy as it seems. It will always be a trade-off between getting the full rich and powerful sound whiel still not compressing the heart and soul out of the music. We are definitely thinking about this but again -it is never easy.

Andreas, reading what you wrote I assumed that the new album will not be a conceptual album, as WITW....Am I wright?

This album will not be a concept album, at least not in the sense that MF was. I do believe there might be some features on this upcoming release that will appeal to those flavors as well though, without giving too much away.

On a more general note the status is that we are working extremely hard finalizing all arrangements, making improvements to the songs and polishing solos, leads, melodies, sounds etc while still pursuing the proper place to mix the album. A couple of ideas fell through but three places to mix still remain highly interesting and test mixes will be ordered from all three places.

There are also some other exciting new things relating to the upcoming release which we can not disclose just yet but I am becoming more and more confident that this new album really will rock your socks off and I can't wait to share it with you all....

In one week (God, time moves fast!) we all enter the studio to start working on the album. Studio logs will be posted here on the forum and we have also been approached by a couple of magazines about studio reports so we'll see what happens. Stay tuned for more exciting updates as we really get cracking!

Interesting stuff to read on the mixing-proces --> 'test-mixes' in order to chose the right place to mix the album. It's good to see that you guys are spending so much time to get the mix done by the best people available.

There are also some other exciting new things relating to the upcoming release which we can not disclose just yet but I am becoming more and more confident that this new album really will rock your socks off and I can't wait to share it with you all....
I'm pretty sure it will......:headbang::headbang:

I know october/november is still so far away but I'm already getting psyched by the idea of holding another SW-album in my hands.
It's also good to read that there's already interest from magazines in the next SW.

Hi Andreas, thank you very much for your swift answer and for the updates on the progress on the new album.

May I object on the "it is not easy" part, though :)

Actually, all the compression stuff has been "invented" for listeners on cheap equipment, like carry stereos and kitchen radios. On "decent" equipment -like in a studio or well chosen home stereo- music will actually profit from uncompressed mixing. In other words, it's the uncompressed mix that will "bang", not the compressed one: the latter is merely a blur.

I bow to you deeply ;)

And please forgive me, I'm just a fan, and a stereophile ;)

--
Cheers, Rock On,

Peter.

I am sure that you in many ways are correct. What I mean when saying that it is not that easy, is that people in general, like your average metal fan of today (and who is not 30+ as myself...) are used to hearing the powerful heavy, fat sound of Rammstein-like productions and they would frown angrily at anything sounding "too organic" like Deep Purple etc.

Now, I am not saying that this is a matter of either or (like only black/white), but there is a challenge for a band such as ourselves in making sure that there is a clearly audible bass guitar and room for the vocal stunts of Tommy, while still creating a product that has a somewhat modern sound.

Having said that, that is exactly what we always seek to accomplish with various degrees of sucess. I hope that somehow makes sense...