Sweeping Solos

Horus

and his imaginary friend
Mar 4, 2005
Atlantis
I asked my guitar teacher, and he said that he wont teach me how until I learn my chords, so Im asking all of you. HOW DO I DO SWEEPING SOLOS?!? I've tried, and it always turns out all retarted when I try! help me!

Learn your chords, then your arpeggios and scales. Then learn chord progressions. You'll eventually learn to sweep your arpeggios. And then you'll know how to put your arpeggios together because you'll know something about chord progressions.

ABQShredHead said:
Learn your chords, then your arpeggios and scales. Then learn chord progressions. You'll eventually learn to sweep your arpeggios. And then you'll know how to put your arpeggios together because you'll know something about chord progressions.

So when do faces start to melt?

Well, sweeps are nothing but apreggios which are the individual notes of chords anyway, so it is beneficial to learn the chords first. But for starting out with arpeggios, I'd suggest limiting yourself to the bottom three strings at first. If you are learning basic chords, set your fingers up in the shape of a D major chord. Play the notes separately. That's an arpeggio. Now the object of sweeping is to play those notes separately and distinctly, so they don't ring or bleed into each other.

To do this, lift your finger off the note just after the pick hits it, but not completely, essentially you're muting with your fingering hand as you go. Do the same thing until you complete the sequence. It will be easier to do only downstrokes first. i.e.

-------2------
-----3----------
---2--------------
-----------------
------------------
----------------
^ ^ ^

When you are comfortable with that, extend the arpeggio by adding the next note in the sequence. Since you don't have any strings left, either slide up to this note or just hammer it.

-------2h--5--
-----3----------
---2--------------
-----------------
------------------
----------------
^ ^ ^

There you go, that's one way to sweep a D maj. arpeggio. As you learn you chords, practice sweeping by playing only the last 3 notes of those chords, and then progress to 4, 5, and 6 string sweeps.

Finally, someone gives me a demonstration! Everybody has just been saying "learn your chords and arpegios" and finally, a reason to learn them! But I've actually been talking about those sweeping solos where you go from like the 7th frett to like the 14th (i forgot what those were called)

ptah knemu said:
Finally, someone gives me a demonstration! Everybody has just been saying "learn your chords and arpegios" and finally, a reason to learn them! But I've actually been talking about those sweeping solos where you go from like the 7th frett to like the 14th (i forgot what those were called)

actually your teacher is right. Learn the basics first, man! Develop your rhythm skills, and be able to do simple lead phrases with good vibrato before you even try the shred stuff. Shred is like toppings on a pizza...but if the pizza itself is shit, then the toppings aren't going to taste very good either...and a good plain cheese pizza is always tastier than a shit pizza with lots of toppings ;)

Yngvai X said:
actually your teacher is right. Learn the basics first, man! Develop your rhythm skills, and be able to do simple lead phrases with good vibrato before you even try the shred stuff. Shred is like toppings on a pizza...but if the pizza itself is shit, then the toppings aren't going to taste very good either...and a good plain cheese pizza is always tastier than a shit pizza with lots of toppings ;)

...now I'm hungry!

:D ...time to practice, AND eat Pizza...t3h win.

Maximize your browser to ensure arpeggios are displayed correctly....best viewed at
1024x768

Alright suppose you do get to a point in your chosen path of guitar shredtacularness :D that you really think you can try to tackle this monster of a technique. As cool as it is, and as much as i love to perform it myself, if you dont have a basic foundation as a guitarist, to be quite frank, you wont be able to get a real good grasp on it. Irregardless of that im a supporter of shreds of all sort and willing to help anyone look for a bit of help. SO from what i can see, you are thinking more along the lines of 5 string arpeggios etc etc which ill post a shape or two here, that will hopefully point you in the direction you wish to go

||-----------------14-17--14--------------||-|
||o-------------15------------15----------o||-|
||-----------14------------------14--------||-|
||--------16------------------------16-----||-|
||o-12-17------------------------------17-o||-|
||-----------------------------------------||-|

4x
||-----------------17-20-17-----------------||---|
||o-------------18-----------18-------------o||---|
||-----------17-----------------17-----------||---|
||--------19-----------------------19--------||---|
||o-15-20-----------------------------20----o||---|
||--------------------------------------------||---|

Ex 2....3 and 5 string :-D

|18-14----------14-18-14----------14-19-14----------14-19-14--------14-
|o------16----16----------16----16----------15----15----------15---15---
|-----------15----------------15----------------16----------------16-----
|------------------------------------------------------------------------
|o-----------------------------------------------------------------------
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------

3x
19-14----------------------------14-19-14--------------------------14-19
------15----------------------15----------15----------------------16----
---------16----------------16----------------16----------------16-------
------------16----------16----------------------16----------16----------
---------------17-14-17----------------------------17-14-17-------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes to Symphony X tunes obviously the most adament display of this technique comes in the intro of Smoke and Mirrors (tabs can be found here on the site) and is a great gateway into getting into the world of arpeggios and sweep picking. Just remember, old agages stand fast TAKE IT SLOW! As always with guitar, patience does truely pay off, take the time to master the technique slow, get it down well, get it clean, then speed it up, it'll take time, but it'll pay off in the end i promise :) if need be i could even throw a coupla videos on here demonstrating the technique a bit in order to give you more of an idea if you need it, in any sense im outta here :D best of luck brutha!

Lacrymosa1776 said:
Alright suppose you do get to a point in your chosen path of guitar shredtacularness :D .....
........... :D best of luck brutha!

Hey, I'm a guitarrist who IDOLIZES Mike Romeo and John Petrucci. The only thing that can possibly stop me from taking the path of "shredtacularness" is a couple of hundred Nukes, and I know several people who can cover for me there

It wasn't coming from a mere teaching aspect Yng, he wanted 5 string arps, so thats what he got, developing the technique is a whole diffrent level, where you have to start with basic alternate picking anyways so :p but yeah i acknowledge and understand your point, which is way i made it known in my first post that starting with this wasnt the best way to go, building blocks :)

I dont know if this was the issue, but when I said that all I want is to jump down the path of Shreadtacularness, I never said that I dont want to learn my chords first.

The Yngster said:
Learn the chords and at least some basic theory first, do you think Romeo and Petrucci went straight to 5 string sweeps?
It's funny, the first sweep I learned was a 6 string sweep of an e-maj arpeggio, starting at the 12th fret. After I learned that and coujld play it cleanly, I then learned a series of 6 string sweeps starting with that arpeggio, like so \n Emaj C#min Amaj Bmaj \n It's kind of a 50's style chord progression \n I practiced it so much I can still do it in my sleep, but anyway, even after that I had to start from the ground up.... Diminished arpeggios are some of the easiest 3-stringers to start with.