Switch from Logic Pro 9 to Cubase 6?

Vinny

Jun 4, 2009
New Braunfels, Texas
Hey guys, just wondering if it would be worth it to swtich from Logic Pro 9 to Cubase 6, for the main reason that tracking in Logic is SOOOOOOOO unstable, even without any effects on the channels. I know some other people that use Logic have the same problem aswell. Just curious if Cubase is more stable.
Also- Can I use the stock Logic AU effects in Cubase?

I have a friend that uses cubase and it seems like its quite a hassle to get tracks set up as opposed to the plug-and-play attitude of Logic, no?

Just wondering.
Thanks guys :)

cubase is vst only.

the transition is only easy if you put in the footwork and research to find the best workflow that suits you.

i am a pro tools hd user that purchased cubase 6 (recently) and i am finding that there are a lot of great things i can do in cubase that i cannot do in logic or pro tools.

but also vice versa.

push yourself to learn more about the definable settings and i think you will find a much more graceful workflow in cubase.

another side note: most audio units were first developed in the vst platform, so most likely if you own the audio unit ...you own the vst version.

What Exactley are the problems your running into in logic 9? My only niggle is the god awful waveforms, that change totally everytime you zoom in!

I recently sat the training for logic and am no apple certified, which I'm taking the exam for in summer to be an apple certified pro. It's a cool DAW just has a lot of useless features and bad press

Good point(s)
The main problem is tracking. I'm on a late '09 MacBook Pro with 4gb RAM and 2.53 GHz, and it is just a nightmare even without any plug-ins on the channels as stated in my first post. But like I said, I know several other users who have Logic and have a rough time with tracking stability too.

I use Logic for a few years now (on a MBP and a Mac Pro) and never had a single problem regarding stability. In fact, it's the only DAW that didn't crash and loose data / settings. I switched from Cubase 4 which I didn't like at all. By the way you're the first person I see complaining about Logic's stability during tracking :eek:
The Cubase stock plugins don't stand a chance against Logic's, imho.

If you plan on getting another DAW solely for tracking and editing (Cubase for slip editing I guess?), you should probably try Pro Tools, too.
Personally, I bought it for drum tracking and Beat Detective, but I miss 99 out of 100 features Logic offers and PT don't.. I really have a hard time getting used to it.

Hmm, I saw a person say that Logic is a "tracking stability nightmare" in the thread that Lasse posted about wanting to buy Logic, but I've also seen other people say the same thing on some other occasions. It almost routinely crashes now too, and I still have a good 100+ gb of hard drive left out of the original 250 and I try to keep very few programs open while tracking, so I'm sure that isn't causing it... But if anyone has any recommendations on preventing that, it would be great too ;)
I thought about Pro Tools too, but I'm not entirely sure which is why I made this thread :)

i can actually attest to the same thing. when i was doing all of my apple certs (logic, fcp, soundtrack pro, etc). logic would crash the most; both at my school, my macbook and macpro more often than pro tools hd.

i don't really use any crazy plugins... mainly native instruments, uad and waves... but nothing to make any other daw crash

^ Wow.. guess I'm lucky then.

It's really a shame you can't try out Cubase or Pro Tools (well you can try Cubase but you'll have to pay for the usb-licenser) before you buy it.
Watching videos is all good, but you can't really judge whether you will like the app and its workflow or not.. and if it's stable :lol:
Good luck finding the right DAW for you :)

Thanks Jipchen.
And Tim, same problem here.
But like I said, there's no way I'll be able to do without the Logic plugs, so I'd still use it for mixing etc.

I run a Mac 3.6g Quad Core, Apogee Ensemble & Profire 2626. I can track 16 tracks at once with plugs, reverbs, etc... and it has literally never crashed. I run the buffer at 64. I do get that annoying System Overload error message every once in awhile that causes it to stop tracking....but that has to do with the HD, not the software... AFAIK And it doesnt crash.... that error just makes it stop what it was doing.

I was the guy that made the logic comment. Tracking is completely stable, as in I never had a problem recording up to 24 simultaneous channels. The problem is that fucking white noise bug. It still exists, apple refuse to acknowledge it and have done nothing about it. Basically what happens is you'll record a take of something, and the waveform will look fine but when you play back the take Logic will randomly blast white noise a LOT louder than you are currently monitoring. Not such a big deal in the control room, but to the the drummer tracking drums listening to his take in headphones really loud to hear the click, or the vocalist who prefers a loud headphone mix it is deafening. After this happening to the same client three times in one session I bought PT9 and never looked back. I really miss Logic though :(

If the problem got out f hand i think i wold have to find a new tracking and editing DAW, definaltley wouldn't lose it for mixing however.
Also soundtrack pro is intergrated into Logic, it has an awesome noise removal tool, useful when you get an annoying light buzz in location recording, etc.

as long as you track on your internam hd you will always run into problems wih every daw.
the data flow is just to big.

use an internal 7200rpm hd for the programs and use an external hd with 7200rpm only for tracking the audio on.

if you still have problems delete logic preferences.
if this also doesnt work you internal hd is fucked and you need to repair it.

logic is super stabil with a solid setup and a running mac.

gabriel g. said:
as long as you track on your internam hd you will always run into problems wih every daw.
the data flow is just to big.

use an internal 7200rpm hd for the programs and use an external hd with 7200rpm only for tracking the audio on.

if you still have problems delete logic preferences.
if this also doesnt work you internal hd is fucked and you need to repair it.

logic is super stabil with a solid setup and a running mac.

Cheers for the advice man, I'll have look into it!

Yeah gabriel is right, perhaps you can use the disk utlitity to find and repair errors and especially the rights for the harddisk. Should be done from time to time anyway.
That's perhaps why I have no problems, I have an extra "audio" harddisk in the MP and track on an external Glyph firewire hdd with the MBP.

And yep, the white noise blast has happened to me once, it scared the shit out of me - that was before I got the Glyph.