Swords & Chains Records presents Gatekeeper - Live Over Calgarae

Ah I see, and how much do those run? I figured I could just bypass all that shit and contact whoever runs the Bathory estate and see if they are cool with us covering "Enter the Eternal Fire"

Or just do it anyway and not tell anybody because who is going to actually give a fuck?

I think it generally depends on the band/song and what you're using it for. I've heard of people getting the license to record an Iron Maiden song for like 150 bucks or something. The guys from Striker put a Grim Reaper cover (You'll Wish You Were Never Born) as a bonus track on the vinyl edition of their EP, and they contacted Steve Grimmet + His Management about it. They never heard back after a month so they just did it anyways.

Yeah, I'm not doing a Metallica cover where they will hunt me down and behead me for not giving them royalties. This is Bathory and people cover his stuff all the time. I don't see whoever owns the rights to Bathory's estate really giving a shit.

But its cool to know how cheap it actually is to get a license.

I have an interview with Quorthon from ten years ago where he talks about people covering Bathory songs. He said:

"You can record any song by any artist and play it any way you want or are able to. You can do a Bathory track backwards playing a toilet seat or your own arse, but you're not allowed to alter the lyrics or the title of the track itself. You must note who wrote the music and lyrics, the company that owns the copyrights plus you must report to your local royalty authority."

So there you have it.

603900_546861865367598_1061082074_n.jpg

HAILS! From the land of the Valar.

HAHAHAHAHA,
Manowar 1981 - 1988

Now that's funny right there!!!!

I might extend it to 1996 to include Louder Than Hell, but then you would have to include Triumph of Steel, so it's a wash either way.... :lol:

(Sorry in advance to Dave, the only Manowar fan who actually acknowledges the existence of Triumph of Steel)

HAHAHAHAHA,
Manowar 1981 - 1988

Now that's funny right there!!!!

Yet another reason I don't like this band. Why was Manowar singled out that way? Have none of the other bands on that list released a bad album?

I'm not the only Manowar fan who loves "The Triumph of Steel," just the only one on the internet. That reminds me, its 21st anniversary is coming up. Time to listen to it again!