Symphony X in NYC 4/5

I am a huge Into Eternity fan, and I have to say they sounded terrible on Saturday...especially Stu. I think the smoking every night has really taken its toll on the guy's voice, because it was just plain bad. It's a damn shame...
I'm amazed at how many singer's smoke. At ProgPower II, some friends and I had a chance to just bullshit with Jorn for a good long while. We asked him about smoking (as he smoked throughout most of our conversation). He said it adds to the rough, edginess in his voice. While it still seems a bit crazy to me, I can at least understand that. However, with guys like Stu, who have a naturally cleaner voice, smoking just seems foolish.

Zod

Agreed. However, not a great set list overall.

"Masquerade" is an odd choice.

Nothing from "The New Mythology Suite" (my personal favorite). That was a disappointment.

Seven of the fourteen tracks they played were from the new disc. Now, I understand a band needs to push their latest disc. But did they need to play seven of the ten tracks from "Paradise Lost"? That just seems like overkill.

Zod

My ears are still awaiting a "great" SX set list.

Masquerade is cool, but certainly not the track I'd most want to hear from s/t(Absinthe and Rue, Rapture or Pain, A Lesson Before Dying).

Nothing from V doesn't upset me too much because at this point I really just want them to play it in it's entirety. Unless they did The Bird - Serpent War.

I agree there's too much from the new album. I could seriously do without Domination, which is easily my least favorite SX track ever.

These days, I'd kill for just a few tracks from Damnation Game. Alas, it's too much to ask. Though some would just call me greedy.

Either way, can't wait for the Chicago show.

Nothing from V doesn't upset me too much because at this point I really just want them to play it in it's entirety.
I was actually thinking, when I posted earlier, how cool it would be if they did "V" in its entirety. Unfortunately, this doesn't gel with the whole "Symphony X as a Metal band" thing they've been going for, that's driven their new found popularity (<--- relatively speaking).

Zod

And it warrants being said again, with the possible exception of Loomis, Romeo is the best guitar player not to be spawned out of the 80s Metal scene. He was so dead on Saturday night it was scary. Granted, he's always dead on (the man is a f**king machine), but the perfect sound the Nokia had going really brought it home. My younger brother, whose seen SX a handful of times, had his jaw on the floor with every solo.

Zod

Unfortunately, this doesn't gel with the whole "Symphony X as a Metal band" thing they've been going for, that's driven their new found popularity (<--- relatively speaking).

Zod

Man do I have mixed feelings about THAT. On one hand, I'm glad for SX that they're gaining fans and hopefully prospering a bit more financially than in the past.

However, the past few tours(Odyssey and beyond) SX has made it quite clear who they are gearing their set lists to... the "newer" SX fans. This pisses me off to no end because they flat out ignore the majority of their amazing catalog, and with that their original fans. Head over to the SX forum(if you dare) and you'll find almost everyone pimps the shit outta the last 2 albums. There's actually people there who get pissed at fans like myself who bitch about not hearing the old shit, and then post about how they don't even own Twilight or Damnation, etc, etc, etc. No joke.

SX is easily the most frustrating band in my life. I think the people around me are beyond sick of hearing me bitch about it, but until I see at least some of the old masterpieces performed live I'll forever be frustrated.

That said, based on your comments on the "sound," I'm sure hoping it's as good in Chicago. There's definitely been times when I couldn't hear a damn thing Romeo played.

SX is easily the most frustrating band in my life. I think the people around me are beyond sick of hearing me bitch about it, but until I see at least some of the old masterpieces performed live I'll forever be frustrated.QUOTE]

I would love to never talk about the Symphony and piss poor set lists ever again. But until they fulfill our needs it will always be a hot topic.

Man do I have mixed feelings about THAT. On one hand, I'm glad for SX that they're gaining fans and hopefully prospering a bit more financially than in the past.

However, the past few tours(Odyssey and beyond) SX has made it quite clear who they are gearing their set lists to... the "newer" SX fans. This pisses me off to no end because they flat out ignore the majority of their amazing catalog, and with that their original fans. Head over to the SX forum(if you dare) and you'll find almost everyone pimps the shit outta the last 2 albums. There's actually people there who get pissed at fans like myself who bitch about not hearing the old shit, and then post about how they don't even own Twilight or Damnation, etc, etc, etc. No joke.

SX is easily the most frustrating band in my life. I think the people around me are beyond sick of hearing me bitch about it, but until I see at least some of the old masterpieces performed live I'll forever be frustrated.

That said, based on your comments on the "sound," I'm sure hoping it's as good in Chicago. There's definitely been times when I couldn't hear a damn thing Romeo played.

lol at being frustrated at a progressive metal band for being progressive.

I really enjoy "Paradise Lost" and "Odyssey". Thank God when I saw them this past Saturday they didn't do "Odyssey" as the encore! Not a good encore tune and it gets boring about half way through to the point I'm praying for it to be over. The two latest albums I like better because they're more powerful guitar sound wise and the songs are more concise and to the point. Except "The Odyssey" of course. I hate fucking masturbatory noodling. Everyone loves "V : The Mythology Suite". I find it boring and punchless. I really do want to love this band, but something just doesn't click with me. I like SYMPHONY X now as they are and I hope they keep this musical direction. I know I'll get crucified, but it's just my opinion.

The sound there was definitely awesome. The sound guy is a friend of mine. :D

I got pretty close to front and center, along with the guitarist from Gods of Fire. Seriously kick-ass show... I brought a crew of 4 people from near Hartford came down to see the show, which was awesome, too. :)

I love V, but I think I'd rather hear those tunes played outdoors. They're a little more mellow than I'd like to hear indoors.

Alright a day late and a dollar short as always, but man... I too had a great time. To quote Christina: "I didn&#8217;t know you were drunk! I thought you were super funny. Mark looked like he didn&#8217;t know what hit him. He had this look on his face like, PWND!" LMAO!

What a great night! So not only was there a suprise MetalRose sighthing, it was a rare drunken MetalRose sighting! I had so much fun (from what I remember)... And I got to meet Ambr's HUSBAND! He's real he does exist!

It really was a mini-ProgPower... Even Zod was mean to me! :)

-MetalRose