Symphony X North American Co-headline tour w/ Overkill!

EyeballKid

Shyamalan'd
Just got an email from Enter The Vault with a tour announcement for SX and Overkill! Not sure why neither band has announced it yet, but tickets are already on sale. Dates are:

09/18/2015 The Palladium – Worcester, MA *
09/19/2015 Upstate Concert Hall – Clifton Park, NY **
09/20/2015 Dome Theater – Niagara Falls, NY *
09/22/2015 Agora Ballroom – Cleveland, OH *
09/23/2015 The Intersection – Grand Rapids, MI **
09/24/2015 House of Blues - Chicago , IL *
09/25/2015 Rave – Milwaukee, WI *
09/26/2015 Mill City Nights – Minnesota, MN **
09/27/2015 Park Theatre – Winnipeg, MB - CANADA **
09/29/2015 Mac Ewan Hall Ballroom – Calgary, AB - CANADA **
09/30/2015 Union Hall – Edmonton, AB - CANADA **
10/01/2015 Knitting Factory – Spokane, WA **
10/02/2015 Vogue Theatre – Vancouver, B.C. - CANADA *
10/03/2015 Showbox at the Market – Seattle, WA **
10/05/2015 The Grand Ballroom at the Regency Center – San Francisco, CA **
10/06/2015 The Regent Theater – Los Angeles, CA **
10/07/2015 Marquee Theatre – Tempe, AZ *
10/09/2015 The Bomb Factory – Dallas, TX *
10/10/2015 210 Kapones – San Antonio, TX **
10/11/2015 Warehouse Live – Houston, TX *
10/13/2015 The Ritz – Tampa, FL *
10/14/2015 The Masquerade – Atlanta, GA **
10/15/2015 The Filmore – Charlotte, NC **
10/16/2015 The Filmore – Silver Spring, MD *
10/17/2015 Terminal 5 – New York City, NY *

*Overkill closes
** Symphony X closes

Great, I wont be there at any of the dates! This is just perfect, I'm so happy right now!

(note the sarcastic tone in the typing...)

Do we know if SX will be playing a shorter set at shows where they play first, like Worcester?

Since they made a point of disclosing who will be "headlining", I think it's safe to say yes. My guess is that depending on the night, Symphony X will play an 80-90 minute headliner set or a 65 minute direct support slot.

It's a little confusing when they refer to the tour as "co headlining". Usually implies similar set lengths. But since Worcester is the first show, and a long drive for me, I'd love some clarity.

Yeah, co-headlining has become a term used to mean "the bands switch off who headlines." Seems like vague marketing as an effort to get more people out to shows.

What "co-headlining" should mean is: NO LOCAL OPENER, 90 min set from one band, 90 minute set from another band.

What "co-headlining" almost always means is: LOCAL OPENER, 60 minute set from one band, 90 minute set from another band, switch the order the next night.

For what it's worth, I saw them with Iced Earth back in 2012, which was also billed as a co-headlining tour. Both bands played a 90 minute set, with the same amount of songs per night, regardless of which played first. They just alternated opening and closing each night. And yes, this was including Warbringer being the opening act (they played for like 20-25 minutes).

So no, I don't think it will affect show length at all. It's merely a deciding factor on if you don't like one of the two bands, you can duck out if the one you do like plays first that night.

For what it's worth, I saw them with Iced Earth back in 2012, which was also billed as a co-headlining tour. Both bands played a 90 minute set, with the same amount of songs per night, regardless of which played first. They just alternated opening and closing each night. And yes, this was including Warbringer being the opening act (they played for like 20-25 minutes).

So no, I don't think it will affect show length at all. It's merely a deciding factor on if you don't like one of the two bands, you can duck out if the one you do like plays first that night.

Yeah and Devin Townsend and In Flames just did a similar tour, and the only difference was an extra encore tune for the closing band.

Lots of folks on FB asking about this. No one wants to get screwed out of SX time! Be great to get some official word from the band.

Well, for me the two determining factors will be:

1. If the new album be out by the time this tour rolls around (I don't see why it shouldn't be).

2. What the setlist looks like overall. If the new album is out by then, we can expect a good sized amount from that, but I don't want it to be reduced to just IC and PL songs taking up the rest of the set. Hopefully they'll put together a more balanced setlist this time around.

I hope this is true! Otherwise, I'm driving 6 hours round trip.

Also will be at the Charlotte show and can confirm from the IE tour that they played the same length of set list (Iced Earth was the closing band when they were in Charlotte).

Just need some album news or something now! Can't be more than a 2-4 months off now.

I just emailed Enter The Vault about the set lengths, since no one on the SX Twitter, Facebook, or email (or Jax) responded to my question, and they said that both bands WILL play the same length regardless of the headliner. Granted, their response was literally,

"same amunt yes"

...so I'm not sure how reliable that could be.

Just got a confirmation from Gunter at World Entertainment (Symphony X's management) and he confirmed that they will be playing the same set regardless of headliner. Chicago here I come!

That is super helpful. Thanks!