Symphony X On Internet Jukeboxes???

*Jukebox Update*:

I know it has been so long since my last update but I guess that gal wasn't kidding about all of the priority lists. I guess they just have so many Black Eyed Peas and Lady Gagas to go through. :puke:

Anyway, here is the latest from the chick at Touchtunes:

We don’t have label rights for album: Odyssey but the licensing team are working it. The rest are still being verified.

I'm not sure why they're having a problem verifying The Odyssey but at least now we know that the albums ARE being verified.

Now we just have to hope that there aren't anymore remaining stages and the albums are added to the juke. :kickass:

Symphony X signing to a new label has nothing to do with anything here, since Nuclear Blast has not released any album by the band. Inside Out, Metal Blade, etc etc owns the rights to the older CDs and thus, this company needs to acquire licensing rights to play the songs.

Also there's a bit more to this than just "exposure;" getting the songs at bars entitles the band to some money as well (although not alot mind you) via mechanical royalties. Doesn't surprise me that it's quite lengthy a process. However, I'd be stoked to hear 'em at my favorite bar.

And, *ahem* Gaga is awesome. :D

I will give you this- as far as mainstream pop goes these days, I agree, Lady Gaga ain't bad. For one thing she(if it is a she) isn't from the world of colorless grunge.

I was displaying the hurl smiley mainly to show my disdain for how much of a stranglehold that popular music has on what is played and what's given priority(leaving a lot of great music unnoticed).

And yes, I'd already theorized that the band might make some money from this; so I am more than happy to help them out in that capacity as well. :)

There's no reason why Symphony X doesn't belong on a digital jukebox.

I will give you this- as far as mainstream pop goes these days, I agree, Lady Gaga ain't bad. For one thing she(if it is a she) isn't from the world of colorless grunge.

I was displaying the hurl smiley mainly to show my disdain for how much of a stranglehold that popular music has on what is played and what's given priority(leaving a lot of great music unnoticed).

There are some awesome grunge albums. I fail to see how Alice In Chains or Pearl Jam are colorless as well. Nothing wrong with being colorless either; there's a time and place for everything.

There are some awesome grunge albums. I fail to see how Alice In Chains or Pearl Jam are colorless as well. Nothing wrong with being colorless either; there's a time and place for everything.

Alice In Chains is probably the best of that ilk and Pearl Jam has a few good songs but I still fucking hate that band and Eddie Vedder, especially. There is no justifiable time and place for (in the words of Russell Allen) "suede rap with nasal singing" to take precedence over the Symphony X's and Sieges Even's(you know bands that actually care about crafting colorful soundscapes and have outstanding musical strength when it comes to songwriting) that I deem acceptable.

Fuck that shit with a cracked light bulb. I've had enough. :puke:

Being from the seattle area for my whole life and having to grow up around that stuff, let me say a few things:

1) Grunge is not a genre, it refers only to the music that came out of a region, yet shares FEW common traits. Nirvana sounds nothing like Alice in Chains sounds nothing like Pearl Jam sounds nothing like Soundgarden... etc.

2) Alice in Chains are heavy and dark. How is Dirt not a metal album? Sure, a bit 90's, but everything (including metal) had kind of a drab wash over the whole sound in the 90's... that was the decade.

3) For that matter, how is Pearl Jam's "Ten" not metal? Listen to the riffs and solos. Hell, listen to some of the songwriting. really the only thing that makes it not metal are the personal lyrics, which some would argue are akin to prog. I'll take Pearl Jam and AIC lyrics over Pain of Salvation ANY day.

4) Nirvana fucking sucks.

1. Well to me they are all very similar. Very distorted(both literally and figuratively) rock with tuned down guitars, simplistic basslines, pathetically morose lyrics, and nasal singing. Less of an emphasis on instrumentation, soloing, and production; and just all around lazy in sound and quality(though some members of those groups ARE talented[which is itself sad]).

2. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Any genre(however shitty) has its pioneers and masterpieces. Dirt is one of those records. I do like lots of things about that record; particularly the atmospherics employed in regards to the vocals. That is probably my favorite album of the genre. But nothing came as more of a breath of fresh air as Bruce Dickinson's "Accident Of Birth" or "The Divine Wings Of Tragedy". Now THOSE are metal records with spectacular songwriting. Nothing drab about those records at all. Just that they weren't on radio or MTV(which still pisses me off- there simply was/is no excuse for that).

3. "Ten" catapulted alternative metal into the mainstream. It should forever be seen as an anathema to the songwriting efforts of bands who could actually write and play well and a bane to radios and TV sets everywhere. Sure it's got a few decent riffs but it was embraced mainly for being "different". I don't know about you but I wanna hear a band that's gonna rock out; not a band that sounds like they just got off work.
Pain Of Salvation isn't really a great example of bands who I consider stellar. They've got some good songs but I remember back in 2001/02 I stated that we should "keep funkness and nu-ness the fuck out of prog".
But would you really take Pearl Jam, and AIC over Fates Warning and Sieges Even? Because I seriously doubt you would.

4) Who cares?

You should hate alternative/grunge for what it did to the firmament of popular music which was mutate it and which still exists today in the very alive and well indie/emo pop genre which has gotta be the worst shit to ever grace my ears.

Let's keep the numbers theme going :D

1) basically describes nirvana to me and grossly oversimplifies the other bands that entered the discussion (save for post-Ten pearl jam... that stuff sucked). There are some other bad albums in the later 90's too (Soundgarden's last album) but that was pretty much at the point that the genre was dying because ironically, all these bands were getting huge.

2) Nothing really to say here. Sure there are some great metal albums and I may have misspoke, but I'll ammend my statement to say pretty much every band that was around in the 80's and continued on into the 90's released some bullshit material that had a distinct 90's sound, regardless of if it was thrash, death, power, traditional, etc. Everything seemed to be influenced by Pantera or Nirvana. Which i'll address in a second...

3) I agree with you about wanting to see a band that's going to rock out. That's why Dream Theater is so fucking boring. And yes, I'd much rather listen to Alice In Chains, early Soundgarden, select Pearl Jam, Mother Love Bone, etc than the vast majority of Fates Warning and Sieges Even. I think the only worthwhile album by Fates Warning is No Exit. I never have the urge to hear anything else by them. Sure, if someone throws on Awaken the Guardian or Spectre Within, I'm totally on board. I'll never ever choose to listen to it though.

4) And finishing the thought in point 2, I have no ire for anything that destroyed popular music. Popular music was not dumbed down or mutilated by "grunge". the decline started long before that, and had it not, something else would have come along. I have much more venom for a band like Pantera who took something that I love and care deeply about (metal) and bastardized it, made it OK to have this groove breakdown shit, have some vocalist who sounds like he's taking a huge dump, and turn metal into bullshit jock music. They had such an influence on bands that they single-handedly turned the thrash genre into fucking garbage. don't believe me? Listen to Twisted into Form by Forbidden, then go listen to Green. Or really any american thrash from the 90's... Annihilator is another good example (I know, not American, canadian. Same thing).

Point is, I don't generally care about popular mainstream music of any genre, though there are bands, artists, and albums that catch my attention as I'm sure everyone here can agree with to a large extent. it's not offensive when Kanye gets up and interrupts Taylor Swift because they're both so unimportant to my life. but when Pantera, Korn, Slipknot, Mastadon, or any band of that ilk takes something that I find dear and just fucks it up under the guise of "progression", that's where i get mad.

Paradise Lost and The Odyssey (but mostly paradise lost) both have a large Dime influence on a lot of the riffs. This is why I don't feel like they are solid albums (though they obviously both have their masterpieces)

quick edit: hope none of this comes off as me being too much of a dick. Truth be told, i care about literally none of this, i just have a day off and am bored :lol: Arguing is fun though :D

And yes, I'd much rather listen to Alice In Chains, early Soundgarden, select Pearl Jam, Mother Love Bone, etc than the vast majority of Fates Warning and Sieges Even. I think the only worthwhile album by Fates Warning is No Exit. I never have the urge to hear anything else by them. Sure, if someone throws on Awaken the Guardian or Spectre Within, I'm totally on board. I'll never ever choose to listen to it though.

Man, I couldn't disagree more. I would never listen to grunge on my own for pleasure, but Fates Warning and Sieges Even have entertained me time and time again. There is so much more substance to their writing, IMO.

1) Again, the genre isn't dead. It has "evolved" and is very alive and well in the grotesque forms of music known as alternative metal and indie/emo. I honestly would rather hear Kelly Osbourne come up with something.

2) That is mostly true of the "popular" metal bands of the 90's. Megadeth made Risk, Metallica made the Loads Of Shit, and Queensryche toyed with it on their "Frontiers" album. But you forget about the underground. And A LOT of those bands stayed true to their original 80's sound- like Sieges Even. Although I will say that Iron Maiden NEVER changed their sound; they just made shitty albums with Blaze Bayley. So I do not agree with you here.

3) yes, I'd much rather listen to Alice In Chains, early Soundgarden, select Pearl Jam, Mother Love Bone, etc than the vast majority of Fates Warning and Sieges Even.

...I really don't know what to say to this...

4) I agree with you on Pantera being Jock Rock and bastardizing metal further(in fact I objected on that type of sound being used when The Odyssey was in its mixing/mastering stages but it did work to an extent on songs like "Wicked"); but I am much more disgusted and pissed at alternative metal spawn like Korn, Sevendust, etc.

Paradise Lost and The Odyssey (but mostly paradise lost) both have a large Dime influence on a lot of the riffs. This is why I don't feel like they are solid albums (though they obviously both have their masterpieces)

I think that The Odyssey is light years better than Paradise Lost. But you have a point on how they've made many songs sound heavier than they really need to be. And LOTS of bands are doing this.

quick edit: hope none of this comes off as me being too much of a dick. Truth be told, i care about literally none of this, i just have a day off and am bored :lol: Arguing is fun though :D

No you are not coming off like a dick at all. This is a very positive thread and if it does become negative by anyone, I won't allow it. I don't care about many of the shitty bands we are talking about but I do care about what they did to music and will never forgive them for it.

Posts like the ones above really make me laugh. I'm listening to Seiges Even right now for the first time and I see nothing "colorful" about them whatsoever. You want colorful music? Listen to Sigur Ros, Eluvium, Explosions In The Sky, etc (bands which by the way, I LOVE). Metal is NOT colorful, it's heavy and dark. Are there more "colorful" metal bands? Yeah sure. Obviously Amesoeurs isn't in the same spectrum as Celtic Frost and Opeth isn't in the same spectrum as Entombed or Terrorizer, but claiming that metal bands are colorful and musically superior to other non-metal bands is like getting a California roll and then calling yourself a sushi connoisseur. Pearl Jam's "Ten" is excellent, who cares about its mainstream appeal? I want good songs, not endless self-indulgent wanking. "Instrumentation" and "technical ability" do not equate to talent. That's what I love about SymX by the way; because of Romeo's knack to write SONGS. I couldn't care less about what kind of technical flourishes he inserts (or in your case, removes) into those songs make you go "OOOH AHH," that's not what I listen to music for.

There's a good example of something "colorful." I suspect most of the above posters who think grunge is too heavy for them will probably not like EITS, which only proves my point. You are just metalheads who THINK you are listening to a "colorful soundscape," but you only gauge your opinions through a metal kaleidoscope. Alot of prog metal fans, for lack of a better term, feel that way about music and it just makes me laugh. It's closed-mindedness posing as open-mindedness.

And I couldn't care less what Rus has to say about grunge. I think his musical knowledge is rather out of whack if you ask me; if I recall correctly he referred to the other bands on Gigantour 1 as death metal. lol.

I agree with Zach on all accounts except two.

1) I do like Nirvana, especially Bleach. :D

and 2) the Pantera comment is kind of silly. I shared that opinion when I was 15 but I then grew up. You'll find shitty fans in EVERY genre following every band, but that has nothing to do with the music. Just because redneck bulljock morons made up of a large chunk of Pantera's fanbase doesn't mean the band should be to blame for it. And as much as I love Alice In Hell, Jeff Waters is a soulless wanker compared to Dimebag if you ask me, and I say that not even being a huge Pantera fan! Also how did Mastodon "fuck up" metal? What?

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't care less about what kind of technical flourishes he inserts (or in your case, removes) into those songs make you go "OOOH AHH," that's not what I listen to music for.

You're just forming straw men of people who disagree with you now. Prog fans like songwriting too, not just mindless technical noodling. The point is increased technicality removes restrictions from your songwriting ability if you are a good writer in the first place.

There's a good example of something "colorful." I suspect most of the above posters who think grunge is too heavy for them will probably not like EITS, which only proves my point.

If grunge is too heavy for you, you're either under 10 or over 70. Again, straw man.

You are just metalheads who THINK you are listening to a "colorful soundscape," but you only gauge your opinions through a metal kaleidoscope.

I don't listen exclusively to metal - I like a lot of prog rock, blues/hard rock, 20th century classical music, and a little new agey material. Again, straw man.

In short, you are attacking people who don't exist. I'm sorry people have different opinions from yours.

Also, as far as Explosions in the Sky goes, I am aware of them and several other post rock acts but they do not appeal to me because they feel overly sentimental and forced IMO. There is no challenge or conflict in the listen.

^^^This guy(not you Postulate) I will say is definitely coming off like a dick and this is not what I wanted this thread turned into. I will state that I started this thread with the best of intentions and that this thread is all about positive vibes.
You wanna make another thread pertaining to the superiority of grunge, fine. I will tear through your tissue thin posts like a bunch of Lindsay Lohan used Kleenexs'. But I'm asking you to respect the original intent of this thread and if you don't have something to add that will contribute to getting the most awesome band on the planet(Symphony X) onto my local bar's digital jukebox then stay the hell out of it.

Posts like the ones above really make me laugh. I'm listening to Seiges Even right now for the first time and I see nothing "colorful" about them whatsoever.

Check out "When Alpha and Omega Collide" and "Dimensions".

You want colorful music? Listen to Sigur Ros, Eluvium, Explosions In The Sky, etc (bands which by the way, I LOVE).

I watched that video and I all I have to say is I want those 7+ minutes of my life back. Not the worst thing I ever heard but not all that great either. I didn't find anything colorful about that song other than being a monotonously downtroden and lackluster affair. If that's what you consider colorful then your post makes me laugh as well.

Metal is NOT colorful, it's heavy and dark. Are there more "colorful" metal bands? Yeah sure. Obviously Amesoeurs isn't in the same spectrum as Celtic Frost and Opeth isn't in the same spectrum as Entombed or Terrorizer, but claiming that metal bands are colorful and musically superior to other non-metal bands is like getting a California roll and then calling yourself a sushi connoisseur.

Of course. Anything you say.

Pearl Jam's "Ten" is excellent

Of course it is. If you say so.

I want good songs, not endless self-indulgent wanking. "Instrumentation" and "technical ability" do not equate to talent. That's what I love about SymX by the way; because of Romeo's knack to write SONGS. I couldn't care less about what kind of technical flourishes he inserts (or in your case, removes) into those songs make you go "OOOH AHH," that's not what I listen to music for.

Nor do I. What part about
by Prismatic Sphere said:
bands that actually care about crafting colorful soundscapes and have outstanding musical strength when it comes to songwriting
did you NOT understand?

There's a good example of something "colorful." I suspect most of the above posters who think grunge is too heavy for them will probably not like EITS, which only proves my point. You are just metalheads who THINK you are listening to a "colorful soundscape," but you only gauge your opinions through a metal kaleidoscope. Alot of prog metal fans, for lack of a better term, feel that way about music and it just makes me laugh. It's closed-mindedness posing as open-mindedness.

Could you be more of a condescending dick? I was "open-minded" to watch your vid and it sucks.
For the record, while I do listen a great deal of progressive music, I listen to SHITLOADS of other stuff like classical and new wave(for starters). I'm not one of those fucksticks you meet at parties who says that they "listen to everything"(as that is impossible), I cite specifics and proclaim said music as a great piece of songwriting with enough musical knowledge to back it up.

And I couldn't care less what Rus has to say about grunge. I think his musical knowledge is rather out of whack if you ask me; if I recall correctly he referred to the other bands on Gigantour 1 as death metal. lol.

You are aware that this is the Symphony X forum, correct?

Jukebox Update:

So I asked the nice lady over at Touchtunes how long the verification process takes once the albums start being verified and this is what she said:

Sorry for the delay.
The stages are: label verification and then publishing verification.
Sometimes we can get a publishers approval in 3 hours and sometimes in 3 months, copyright research and licensing is a complex world.
I can never give approximate times unfortunately.
In rare cases, the artist himself/herself can deny approval.
Hope that helps.

Not the best news in the world. But hey, I guess it could technically happen any time. And I first got the news that they were being verified almost 3 weeks ago. And Paradise Lost did make it onto the Billboard 200(I believe), so who knows?

Keep your fingers crossed.

Jukebox Update:

So I've been growing pretty impatient lately and I badgered the gal at Touchtunes. Here is how we stand:

We received some digital files (the music) from the label so publishing rights will be verified and I’ll let you know.

Hopefully any day now. I know it's been forever but it sounds like we are very nearly there.

Guess what folks?

IT IS DONE.

That's right. The Symphony X albums "The Divine Wings Of Tragedy", "V: The New Mythology Suite", and "The Odyssey" have all been added to your local bars' Touchtunes jukebox. Hopefully the rest are on their way.

Last night I played in joyous celebration these songs in this order:

Wicked
The Odyssey
Inferno
Egypt
Rediscovery Pt. II
Pharaoh
Sea Of Lies
Candlelight Fantasia
Communion And The Oracle

Play some SX songs in your local watering holes mateys. :kickass::headbang: