Symphony X - The new album

Darn, there's a new album already? I've just gotten The Odyssey last week!

Anyway, I think Odyssey is a strong album, but I'd like the next album to take on the direction of Twilight in Olympus.

On the other hand, reworkings of the debut won't hurt as well, 'coz the only songs I'm familiar with are "The Raging Season" and "Masquerade".

:erk:Oh man,, I was really looking forward to them Redoing the 1st SymX cd..

But I also would be happy w/anything from them, I don't care if its real heavy or not, just as long as it is THEM!!:Spin:

Forget the debut, it's ancient history!

After hearing how they've perfectly mastered the art of arrangement with "The Odyssey" (the song), I can't wait to hear more of that. AND LOTS OF HARMONOIES PLEASE!!!

I would love for them to do another concept album. There's just something extra you get when they piece together an entire story in music. I've been listening to V almost non-stop the last few weeks. It's getting very close to surpassing TDWOT for me, which I didn't think it would ever do.

I was looking forward to the re-do of the 1st album too. I hope they do it as I don't listen to that album as a result of the poor production and shitty vocals. It would be like getting a whole new album from them. However, I am very eagerly awaiting a totally new album. The Odyssey, while great, just didn't have the staying power for me that V and TDWOT have.

I'm just waiting to get something new from them! It doesn't really matter if they won't rerecord the debut album (though it might be interesting), just as long as they're recording more of that amazing music, which they've been doing for years now. :)

Oh, and that european tour would be great too!

Yeah I agree on the Twilight In Olympus thing. Some of those songs are just magical.

For the new album I would LOVE to hear a more natural drum sound. His kit sounds really nice live but is processed to buggery in the studio. I love the bright tight snare Jason uses live and his deep toms and big kick drum sound, I just wish they were used on the album.

Also I think Michael Romeo should use either a Dual Rectifier for rhythms and a Mark IIC+ (or Mark IV) for leads or just an Engl Powerball :) I'm fed up with the sound of modelling amps.

Whooo a new album in the works already? A sequel to Edge of Forever would be nice, they did it for Accolade so why not? :D

metropolis2k X said:
Yeah I agree on the Twilight In Olympus thing. Some of those songs are just magical.

For the new album I would LOVE to hear a more natural drum sound. His kit sounds really nice live but is processed to buggery in the studio. I love the bright tight snare Jason uses live and his deep toms and big kick drum sound, I just wish they were used on the album.

Also I think Michael Romeo should use either a Dual Rectifier for rhythms and a Mark IIC+ (or Mark IV) for leads or just an Engl Powerball :) I'm fed up with the sound of modelling amps.

Yes, I agree about the drum sound.

Am i the only one who is willing to be greedy here?? DO BOTH ALBUMS DAMNIT!!!! I want to hear the first one re-done, followed shortly (a week tops) by the release of a new studio album. Of course i will be happy with a trogdor single ;) but i want to be greedy as well.

All right! Guess I'm not the only one who noticed something amiss with the drum sound. :lol: It comes off clean a few times(IMO, in "The Witching Hour" & "The Accolade", to name a few), but the bugginess gets to me more often than not.

theodyssey said:
Am i the only one who is willing to be greedy here?? DO BOTH ALBUMS DAMNIT!!!! I want to hear the first one re-done, followed shortly (a week tops) by the release of a new studio album.

EXACTLY. My friends and i discussed Lepond's comments on this, and we agreed that it shouldn't be that difficult to do both albums. The majority of the band knows the material from the first album (at least partially), so i can't imagine it being insanely hard to go in and record those songs again. For example, if they're working on the new album and they get to a point where they're feeling a little burned out, why not record a song from the first album to blow off a little steam, you know?

Yeah, it's wishful thinking at this point, but i was really looking forward to the debut album, and the possibility of the band just completely dropping it is disappointing.

korruption said:
I found the drums a little annoying sometimes too, they are a little ummm... Soft/tappy/small?:Spin:

The best drum sound I've ever heard is on Queensrÿches "Operation:LIVEcrime". Now that is what drums are supposed to sound like!

I want them to drop their lowest string to C and play a bunch of index finger power cords!!! They dont need solos, they can just get rid of the singer and get a really hip Nu-metal one to talk about how violent and down with the sickness he is. Romeo should either paint his face or wear some sort of horrifying mask.

Oh yeah, 3 drummers like slipknot would be awesome for the new album.

Or maybee they should get 7 string guitars and tune them ridiculously low and not even touch the top 4 strings!!

That would be mega sweeeet

I have a feeling that if they said they are redoing the original album then they are doing it or have finished it already.. But at the same time they are starting writing whatever ideas they have for the new album.. so i dont think its impossible to pull both albums off.. the new one will take some time before its released, so the original redone could be just something to take the edge off our anticipation for number 7. this is what i hope anyway