Symphony X vs Iron Maiden

Alteredmindeath

Wasteland Survivor
Mar 5, 2003
Underneath your bed
Who can outjam who?
Iron Maiden did open up new doors, but so did Symphony X. I can see Symphony X doing a maiden cover but not maiden doing a SX cover... because they couldnt.

"Symphony X is the Beethovens and Mozarts of our time"
-the B

Symphony X - Iron Maiden: The raw and somewhat unfocused debuts
Damnation Game - Killers: The improvement required before the great leap forward...
Divine Wings - # Of The Beast: The breakthrough album, where the band's identity and purpose are fully formed
Twilight In Olympus - Piece Of Mind: The album where following the increased attention, the band begins to expand their range
V - Powerslave: Both see an increase in ambition and the scope of their work, also both have songs about Egyptian mythology
Odyssey - Somewhere In Time: Not that much in common...

Demonspell said:
Odyssey - Somewhere In Time: Not that much in common...

Mixed reviews from fans, maybe?

I think both are great, by the way.

Oh, and The Odyssey is based on GREEK mythology, and Alexander the Great ruled GREECE (though he was Macedonian).

I could probably think of other connections like that, but it's 2:00 in the morning and I've spent all day doing research for a paper, and my mind is about used up...

This is so hard, my two favourite bands (basically the only two i listen two actually, along with a bit of yngwie)

I really cant choose, maybe Iron Maiden out of sheer volume of classic material. Although in all honesty its impossible to compare, they are completely different sub genres.

Steve harris has to be a bloody clever bloody bloke to write all those classic songs though, considering he knew no music theory when he started, and there was virtually no melodic metal to take influence from except bands like rush and judas priest.

Damn, forgot the fact that SX's sixth album ends with an epic based on Greek mythology, and Maiden's sixth ends with one in which a Greek historical figure is mythologized... :) And both bands released a double live album following their fifth. With all these connections, I wouldn't be surprised if the next SX album is another concept piece...

Alteredmindeath said:
Who can outjam who?
Iron Maiden did open up new doors, but so did Symphony X. I can see Symphony X doing a maiden cover but not maiden doing a SX cover... because they couldnt.

"Symphony X is the Beethovens and Mozarts of our time"
-the B

I totally agree with you¡¡¡
SymphonyX has a technical level enough difficult to reach.

BTW i like your signature.

I love both bands, although I thought that IM's music really went down hill just before Dickinson left ("Fear of The Dark" album, I believe). However, they wrote some great songs and were awesome live!

I still think SyX is the better band overall. Maiden was very repetative in their music, particularly rythm sections of songs, while SyX is original in just about every song they have written.

SyX is just awesome! Nuff said!

SiRo said:
I'm gonna get flamed for this but I think IM are the metal band most overrated ever. I can't stand them. I think BD rules, and his album are far superior than IM so for me : SX >>>>> IM
*flames Siro* :p

hey man, I didn't know you posted here too!
Anyway, you can't compare IM with SX, they are bands from two different generations, and music styles.

Alteredmindeath said:
Who can outjam who?

Romeos left pinky outjams whole Iron Maiden by itself. But that's just my very humble and uncultured opinion. :D

I've never seen anything special in most of IMs music getting into heavier music through Metallica and all. Some of their tracks rock (Aces High, the Trooper) but most don't seem that spectacular after listening to bands like SX and DT for years. Maybe I'm just spoiled? ;)

*Starts strapping on his trusty asbestos suit for the flaming to come*

Phew, I thought I was the only person in the world who thought Iron Maiden was overrated. I can agree they are a part of what the world of metal is like today, but they are way too repetitive for me and I get tired of their songs pretty quickly.

Brave new world is by far their best album. I love maiden... though given the choice i go for SymX... but i don't know... maiden kicks large portions of ass.