Symphony X's new dark look

I'd still never tell a band how to dress, one way or the other. It was the original complaintant's "Mr. Blackwell on bad acid with a dash of toxic shock syndrome" that set me, and others here, off. I'm mostly over it, if it matters THAT much to him fine, just knock off the caustic holier than thou whining for God's sake. Not to mention his "guitar duel" comment. If we're going to be THAT disjointed with our reasoning pro/con, I can make his head explode with a single shot at 500+ yards, that beats ANY guitar duel, and neither have anything to do with the subject at hand.

Dude, I don't get it. Please go back and read my posts and the actual progression of this debate. First off you seem to be of the warped opinion that I at some point claimed to know exactly how the band should dress. I never made any claim of the sort, my sentiments extended no further than 'I don't think jeans and tee shirts are appropriate dress for Symphony X's style of music'. I don't claim to be a fashion guru - I don't sit there looking at the band and think 'hmm, this works, that doesn't, I think a black tie would really compliment that guitar solo'. If you've blown a simple statement of 'I don't like the jeans and tee shirt look for X' into me claiming to be a fashion know-it-all, and gotten upset about it, that is your own fault.

My comments about a guitar duel were to make a point, and I only brought it up in response to getting royally flamed for my simple original comment about jeans + tee shirts. There were a lot of posts with the sentiments of 'screw you, I don't care what they wear, all I care about is the music' which is an indirect way of saying 'I value Symphony X's music more than you because you dared to address something extra-musical about them'. My point in mentioning a guitar duel or music theory analysis is that it is nonsense for people to be all talk about their superior passion for the music and their excessive righteousness because they don't care about how the band dresses. There are a lot of people on this forum who post things that trite and cliche' all the time and hold themselves up on a pedistal because they like to think of themselves as musical purists. My point in the guitar duel comment was largely just to make a point that people should put their money where their mouth is if they are going to act like music snobs. I have never been one to flaunt my talents on this forum - I don't post YouTube clips, etc, just to be like 'look how great I am everyone'. That's not my style, and you know that. The most I've ever really brought up on this forum about guitar play or theory was to help others who were asking for advice.

So when you say that is a disjointed arguement, I would AGREE with you that it is completely disjointed from any fashion debate. My saying that was not by any means implying that 'I'm frrrreakin amazing on guitar, ergo my opinion about X's fashion is more valid'. That comment is purely in response to those who decided to be music elitists and treat me like my values about the band's music are misplaced because I mentioned something about their dress (how dare I speak on anything but their music - and then furthermore anything except pure unbridled praise about everything the band has ever done). The idea is - if those people care so much about JUST the music, they can put up or shut up in regards to strictly music related knowledge flouting. Do you get the idea of that statement now? I'm just defending myself from posts saying my values in the band are misplaced because I mentioned their dress (two topics in one post - but not that hard to grasp, I even separated them into different paragraphs for clarity of topic transition). Does the comment make more sense in that context?

Dude, I don't get it. Please go back and read my posts and the actual progression of this debate. First off you seem to be of the warped opinion that I at some point claimed to know exactly how the band should dress. I never made any claim of the sort, my sentiments extended no further than 'I don't think jeans and tee shirts are appropriate dress for Symphony X's style of music'. I don't claim to be a fashion guru - I don't sit there looking at the band and think 'hmm, this works, that doesn't, I think a black tie would really compliment that guitar solo'. If you've blown a simple statement of 'I don't like the jeans and tee shirt look for X' into me claiming to be a fashion know-it-all, and gotten upset about it, that is your own fault.

First off, I believe your initial post was something along the lines of "it fucking pisses me off that/when Sy-X wears T-shirts & jeans...", which started this whole caustic exchange, where you were instantly branded (in my mind at least) as Sy-X's fashion consultant, leading to the sarcastic Mr. Blackwell comment. Not to mention that if you are going to comment on a band's attire, & that's you in your avatar, I hope you're a member of the Wiggles or something...:Spin: but seriously.......

My comments about a guitar duel were to make a point, and I only brought it up in response to getting royally flamed for my simple original comment about jeans + tee shirts. There were a lot of posts with the sentiments of 'screw you, I don't care what they wear, all I care about is the music' which is an indirect way of saying 'I value Symphony X's music more than you because you dared to address something extra-musical about them'. My point in mentioning a guitar duel or music theory analysis is that it is nonsense for people to be all talk about their superior passion for the music and their excessive righteousness because they don't care about how the band dresses. There are a lot of people on this forum who post things that trite and cliche' all the time and hold themselves up on a pedistal because they like to think of themselves as musical purists. My point in the guitar duel comment was largely just to make a point that people should put their money where their mouth is if they are going to act like music snobs. I have never been one to flaunt my talents on this forum - I don't post YouTube clips, etc, just to be like 'look how great I am everyone'. That's not my style, and you know that. The most I've ever really brought up on this forum about guitar play or theory was to help others who were asking for advice.

I think you got flamed for your attitude on this whole mess, and perhaps the thread should have been shutdown to avoid all this. Too late for now. I'm very anti-music snob, and in my view, you came off very holier than thou with your duel challenge/"I'm a performing musician, I KNOW" comments. If that wasn't your intent, then fine, I read into it wrong, and I'm sure a lot of others did as well. I know I'm not the only one here, and on other forums at UM you post at, with that kind of perception. It's water under the bridge...
I'm glad you posted something with a little less bile in it here, but I'm fully prepared to drop the whole subject.

So when you say that is a disjointed arguement, I would AGREE with you that it is completely disjointed from any fashion debate. My saying that was not by any means implying that 'I'm frrrreakin amazing on guitar, ergo my opinion about X's fashion is more valid'. That comment is purely in response to those who decided to be music elitists and treat me like my values about the band's music are misplaced because I mentioned something about their dress (how dare I speak on anything but their music - and then furthermore anything except pure unbridled praise about everything the band has ever done). The idea is - if those people care so much about JUST the music, they can put up or shut up in regards to strictly music related knowledge flouting. Do you get the idea of that statement now? I'm just defending myself from posts saying my values in the band are misplaced because I mentioned their dress (two topics in one post - but not that hard to grasp, I even separated them into different paragraphs for clarity of topic transition). Does the comment make more sense in that context?

It somewhat makes a little more sense. Perhaps not reponding to the tirades in such a manner to encourage further exchanges/flaming would have been best. I'm not saying don't respond to people taking you to task, but there's ways to do it better, and still get your point across without pissing off the masses. Like I mentioned a few posts above, I'm over it. Not everyone is going to look for the same qualities in a band. The gals want more shots of Russ in leather pants, some just want to hear Romeo shred, some want the whole audio/viual experience, and nobody is wrong, nobody is right, which is why this whole "debate" was pretty much useless IMO.

What's not gr1m or n3cr0 about an open fly?

abbath.jpg

...nothing.