TAB Thread.

Yngwie is even actually 21 frets. While admittedly I wouldn't settle for a less than 24 fret guitar at first when I was shopping around, I'd at this point gladly exchange the 2 extra frets for another pickup. 24 isn't all that great :p

But a lot of the children of Bodom solo's use the 24 freet much, so it can be a pain in the ass to bend all those 24's with 22 in high speed =)

hey Mitch, question for you. When you were practicing your vibrato back in your practicing days, what exactly did you practice (like in terms of songs, riffs, licks) and how did you practice it efficiently?

But a lot of the children of Bodom solo's use the 24 freet much, so it can be a pain in the ass to bend all those 24's with 22 in high speed =)

Right, and that's why initially when I was shopping for a guitar I wouldn't even consider for one moment a non-24-fret guitar, but from my viewpoint now it's meh. If you can't settle for not playing exactly what Alexi plays in CoB solos, then yeah you need a 24, but if you change up some notes/phrasing it doesn't necessarily make it any worse/less of a bodom cover.

Use an inversion. You can play the same interval with different notes. Sure it won't sound exactly the same, but I played Bodom covers on my dad's 22-fret SG and never felt too hindered. Your beloved guitarmajster used a 22-fret for his Bodom covers, did you think they were noticeably less musical/harmonized/awesome? :p

Michael: playing the same interval with different notes would not have the same function within the same key. the whole feel/sound of it would be different.
for example, in the Swarmed post-solo harmony that we love so much, how would we play that minor 3rd harmony without the 23rd and 24th frets? changing the notes in that harmony but still keeping the intervals the same would not work. it wouldn't give off that same sound which we eargasm over.

Arcane: simply switching them to the 12th fret would invert the interval if the other guitar was playing the lower notes in harmony. wouldn't be the same interval anymore. so like if it's supposed to be a minor 3rd harmony, it would then be switched to a major6th...completely different sound and feel.

Bend the 21st like a motherfucker? :lol:

Hahah, that what I do!
(now the story is that I don't have a nail on the left hand middle finger anymore, as I were trying to bend the living fuck out of the poor 22st). The string broke/got destroyed and my hand hurts more than a wanking maraton!

So please, make children of bodom with 22-fret. setups, or I'll destroy my hand so bad I won't even be able to touch myself :erk:

Michael: playing the same interval with different notes would not have the same function within the same key. the whole feel/sound of it would be different.
for example, in the Swarmed post-solo harmony that we love so much, how would we play that minor 3rd harmony without the 23rd and 24th frets? changing the notes in that harmony but still keeping the intervals the same would not work. it wouldn't give off that same sound which we eargasm over.

Saying the whole feel/sound would be different is a big of an exaggeration. I know it will sound different; I said that in my post. If your whole purpose as a guitarist is to play the exact notes in certain Bodom/Sinergy songs where the 23rd and 24th fret are necessary, then of course you must have a 24-fret. My point was that I think it's not that big of a deal if you need to switch up the note choice a bit. It wouldn't limit your growth as a guitarist, it wouldn't cause your compositions to be less good, the only difference is that your Swarmed (or insert X here) covers won't have identical notes. At this point I wouldn't personally base my decision of a guitar purchase over that one thing.

No, it makes no difference. You can play it in the same pattern. 9-10-12 is the same as 21-22-24 only 12 notes deeper
You didn't understand what I wrote...read it again.

Bend the 21st like a motherfucker? :lol:
that honestly seems impossible if you're playing a fast lick, like 16th note triplets at 120bpm.

Saying the whole feel/sound would be different is a big of an exaggeration. I know it will sound different; I said that in my post. If your whole purpose as a guitarist is to play the exact notes in certain Bodom/Sinergy songs where the 23rd and 24th fret are necessary, then of course you must have a 24-fret. My point was that I think it's not that big of a deal if you need to switch up the note choice a bit. It wouldn't limit your growth as a guitarist, it wouldn't cause your compositions to be less good, the only difference is that your Swarmed (or insert X here) covers won't have identical notes. At this point I wouldn't personally base my decision of a guitar purchase over that one thing.

It's not really exaggerated if all of a sudden we're switching from 16th notes to quarter notes, where the notes are heard much more clearly and distinctly. In such a case, the sound will be quite different from the original if it were changed around.

And no, that's not my personal purpose as a guitarist. I was just arguing the other side of this discussion ;)

hey Mitch, question for you. When you were practicing your vibrato back in your practicing days, what exactly did you practice (like in terms of songs, riffs, licks) and how did you practice it efficiently?

Sorry, forgot to answer this!

When I first starting thinking "damn, Paul Gilbert is good at vibrato with his index finger!!!", I starting just doing:

G:-4~

With every finger. Vibrato with 3rd, then 2nd, then 1st, then 4th. Since 3rd finger is usually most people's strongest finger for it, then the aim is to make the vibrato played with other fingers sound the same as the 3rd. If you do it for about 15mins a day, you'll improve rather quickly.

Then stuff like:

G----------9----------------9----------------9~~~~~~~---
D-9-10-12---12-10-9-10-12---12-10-9-10-12-----------------

Doing it as wide as I could!! Just to get the strength.

In a rare PG vid, he plays a part from Far Beyond The Sun and it sounds siiiiiick because of the vibrato, it's this section, and it's good practice:

e-----------------------|--------------------------------|----------17-16-17--21-20-21~~~---
b-----------------------|--------------------------------|19-18-19-----------------------------
g----------------6-5-6-|-11-10-11--14-13-14--18-17-18-|--------------------------------------
d-4-3-4--7-6-7---------|--------------------------------|--------------------------------------
a-----------------------|--------------------------------|--------------------------------------
e-----------------------|--------------------------------|--------------------------------------

It's not really exaggerated if all of a sudden we're switching from 16th notes to quarter notes, where the notes are heard much more clearly and distinctly. In such a case, the sound will be quite different from the original if it were changed around.

And no, that's not my personal purpose as a guitarist. I was just arguing the other side of this discussion ;)

Indeed, you're right. That being said I still would prefer a neck pickup which would/can affect 100% of the notes you play rather than two extra frets which would most likely only be used once or twice during the whole song :p

Quick Question: Do any of you know Epi's legal name? I just wanted to credit him in my Alexi impersonation video for the backing tracks I used, and I thought it deserved more than just an online forum name. I looked in his youtube profile and see the name Eero. I guess it's safe to assume that is what I should use then, right? :cool:

Quick Question: Do any of you know Epi's legal name? I just wanted to credit him in my Alexi impersonation video for the backing tracks I used, and I thought it deserved more than just an online forum name. I looked in his youtube profile and see the name Eero.
Eero is his name, indeed. :)

Sorry, forgot to answer this!

When I first starting thinking "damn, Paul Gilbert is good at vibrato with his index finger!!!", I starting just doing:

G:-4~

With every finger. Vibrato with 3rd, then 2nd, then 1st, then 4th. Since 3rd finger is usually most people's strongest finger for it, then the aim is to make the vibrato played with other fingers sound the same as the 3rd. If you do it for about 15mins a day, you'll improve rather quickly.

Then stuff like:

G----------9----------------9----------------9~~~~~~~---
D-9-10-12---12-10-9-10-12---12-10-9-10-12-----------------

Doing it as wide as I could!! Just to get the strength.

In a rare PG vid, he plays a part from Far Beyond The Sun and it sounds siiiiiick because of the vibrato, it's this section, and it's good practice:

e-----------------------|--------------------------------|----------17-16-17--21-20-21~~~---
b-----------------------|--------------------------------|19-18-19-----------------------------
g----------------6-5-6-|-11-10-11--14-13-14--18-17-18-|--------------------------------------
d-4-3-4--7-6-7---------|--------------------------------|--------------------------------------
a-----------------------|--------------------------------|--------------------------------------
e-----------------------|--------------------------------|--------------------------------------

this is great, thank you!

Indeed, you're right. That being said I still would prefer a neck pickup which would/can affect 100% of the notes you play rather than two extra frets which would most likely only be used once or twice during the whole song :p

Quick Question: Do any of you know Epi's legal name? I just wanted to credit him in my Alexi impersonation video for the backing tracks I used, and I thought it deserved more than just an online forum name. I looked in his youtube profile and see the name Eero. I guess it's safe to assume that is what I should use then, right? :cool:
yeah his name is Eero, but if you want to credit his full name, it's Eero Laurell. Can't wait for your vid :cool: