TAB Thread.

So, I tune the strings a little bit lower then D standard and then tighten the screews and then tune the guitar to D standard untill it lies flat :)? and the screws are the ones going into the guitar in the direction of where the neck is :D?
Exactly :)

If you tune your strings to where you want them (for example E standard) and then tighten the springs there's a good chance you'll snap the strings.

Oh shit, I failed. But if you're using new strings, it's nearly impossible to make it snap when tightening the screws. Well thanks anyway for the correction. It's been so goddamn long time when I adjusted my FR bridge and I did it the way I mentioned and of course with brand new strings.

Oh shit, I failed. But if you're using new strings, it's nearly impossible to make it snap when tightening the screws. Well thanks anyway for the correction. It's been so goddamn long time when I adjusted my FR bridge and I did it the way I mentioned and of course with brand new strings.

Ugh...your strings won't snap!! That's the way I do it...I tune it, then adjust the strings, then re-tune. If your strings snap, then they're old and shit.

Ugh...your strings won't snap!! That's the way I do it...I tune it, then adjust the strings, then re-tune. If your strings snap, then they're old and shit.
Not all your strings will snap but the high E might. Think about it, you place the string under tension and it pulls the bridge up, if you then adjust the springs on the back you're increasing the tension on the string and it can snap... It's exactly the same as if you tuned the string too high.
Anyway, even if you don't snap a string: if you tune the guitar to E standard, find your bridge is pulled up and you proceed to flatten it without adjusting the tension, you might have a flat bridge but your guitar will be tuned too high (e.g. F standard). So then you go and lower the tension on the strings and your bridge will now be pulled back because of the decreased tension on the strings.
This means that you'll have to go and decrease the tension provided by the springs and your strings will then be too flat... This process can continue for an awfully long time.

If you de-tune the strings slightly and then re-adjust the bridge you can maintain a balance of tension and get the bridge into position faster without risking the snapping of strings.
The first time I changed string gauges on my FR I spent 4 hours sorting the thing out. Now it takes me about 10 minutes to change string gauge, that includes putting the strings on, minor re-intonating and minor truss rod adjustments (obviously, as necessary).

Well it might, but high E strings 'might' snap at any point. Tuning a string a half step up is nothing compared to bending 1 1/2 steps up in a song so if it does, you're just unlucky. I have no idea about all that stuff you wrote, I just know how to sort it, as opposed to how to explain it...

guys i have to ask something that sounds weird...since the bridge raises when i tune my guitar to D standard...i should Loosen the bridge not tighten :S? And i dont need any extra springs or anything right ?

The ultimate "OMG MUM MY FLOYD'S ACTING WEIRD" fixing guide for n00bs

Bridge is low: loosen the screws a bit. Repeat as many times as needed till the tuning is correct and bridge in desired position.

Bridge is high: tighten the screws a bit. Repeat as many times as needed till the tuning is correct and bridge in desired position.

Going for a lower tuning with same gauge strings: loosen bridge to compensate the lost of tension on the strings.

Going for higher tuning with same gauge strings: tighten bridge to compensate the extra tension on the strings.

Going for one lower/higher tuning with one lower/higher string gauge: leave the bridge how it is and try tightening it if after tuning it's too high or loosening it if it's too low. (E.g. going from E standard with 09-46 strings to D standard with 10-52 strings)

As with everything in this life, mastery comes with practice, so get new set of strings and start the journey. After 3/4 string change you'll know it pretty good.

guys i have to ask something that sounds weird...since the bridge raises when i tune my guitar to D standard...i should Loosen the bridge not tighten :S? And i dont need any extra springs or anything right ?
No, you tighten it. A floyd rose system is all about a balance of tension, the tension of the springs counteracts the tension in the strings and the whole thing lies in it's flat floating position.
If the tension on the strings is increased (going to a higher tuning or using higher gauge strings like Children of COB said) then it pulls the bridge up because there isn't enough tension in the springs to keep the bridge flat.
So, to make the bridge lie flat, in this case, you need to increase the tension of the springs by screwing those screws further into the body. Step by step for doing this:
1. Tune your strings a bit lower than you want them to be (maybe around a half step lower), you don't have to be really specific with this, just lower.
2. Tighten the springs in the back of the guitar until the bridge is flat.
3. Tune your strings again, if the bridge gets pulled up repeat steps 1 to 3.
4. If the bridge is being pulled back into the body once you've reached your desired tuning: then you've tightened the springs too much so just go and loosen the springs.
5. Tune up your guitar.
6. If it's still being pulled back into the body repeat steps 4 - 5 until it's flat.

You know, you could just play most any lick in legato style, whether or not it was recorded that way.

Playing something legato or picked the whole way through is something just up to the personal choice of the player and what they're feeling. Sometimes they'll do it one way, and sometimes the other.

That's true, I could change some picking lick to a legato one. But even then, if anyone can think of something that was intentionally written in legato, please let me know. Thanks.

I assume you're not counting tapping licks as legato style?
Other than the tapping bits I can't think of any that utilize legato for any extended period of time.

Nah, not counting tapping. And yeah, I'm having trouble thinking of any songs that contain legato also. I guess it's not really Alexi's style.

but hey Aleksi, I think you have a pretty good taste in bands. are there any good legato licks in general that you can think of that come from other bands?

Satriani uses legato a lot. And both Loomis and Petrucci use it frequently. I'll try and think of a few specific licks.

Not that I can think of offhand, I'm not a big fan of legato style. Though now that I think on it, there's a legato lick in "Passage To The Reaper" (you know when Laiho and Roope are playing Vivaldi's Summer).

hmm are you referring to the one at like 0:43? And Roope actually does a lot of tapping action for Vivaldi's summer. I forgot what a tapper Roope can be, haha.

hmm are you referring to the one at like 0:43? And Roope actually does a lot of tapping action for Vivaldi's summer. I forgot what a tapper Roope can be, haha.
Yeah that's the one, I only remember it because it used to make my pinky hurt trying to play it lol, got it down now though. I'll give you a heads up if I think of any other decent legato licks.

seriously, that one should build up pinky strength. but yeah, it's not exactly the type I'm looking for, as it stays in one main position. Maybe I'll just come up with my own. Thanks though :)