TAB Thread.

What affects sound is how good of a guitarist you are. What determines how good of a guitarist you are is how much control you have in your playing. Things like how you position your hand on the fretboard affect your ability to attain proper control.

::::::::::THEREFORE, DUE TO MY INSANE SKILLS AS A THEORIST::::::::::::

How you position your hand on the fretboard affects sound.

so all this was an argument over the definition of "technique". (olol why does this seem so familiar Michael?)

So Fret, for you the definition of "technique" = taking a shit. No wonder we disagreed so much :p

What affects sound is how good of a guitarist you are. What determines how good of a guitarist you are is how much control you have in your playing. Things like how you position your hand on the fretboard affect your ability to attain proper control.

::::::::::THEREFORE, DUE TO MY INSANE SKILLS AS A THEORIST::::::::::::

How you position your hand on the fretboard affects sound.
I disagree that what determines how good of a guitarist you are is how much control you have in your playing. All of the control in the world won't compose music for you. Yes, good technique can help, and I never said having good technique was a bad thing, but unless you only want to play what others have written, composition is an important aspect for a guitarist as well. And because of this, I personally believe that the focus should not be on technique! (As I've said many times already)

Think about many of the revolutionary guitarists. For example, Hendrix by no means had "proper" technique, but he is still recognized as an amazing guitarist because being a good guitarist is more than just positioning your hands in the "right way" in order to have control of your playing. Furthermore, this is all assuming that having the "perfect technique" (ex. fingers parallel to frets, not anchoring, etc.) is the only way to be in control of the guitar when really, it's not!

Maybe this "perfect technique" is the most optimized, efficient way of playing the guitar, but let me state it again: the focus should not be on the technique! and just because someone uses a different technique doesn't mean they are somehow an inferior guitarist because they can't "maintain control" as your statement suggests.

As far as the statement "How you position your hand on the fretboard affects sound" I disagree here too. Using different notes, durations of notes, note sequences (phrasing) affects the sound much more than the position of your hand on the fretboard, bringing me back to my original point: the focus should not be on technique!

so all this was an argument over the definition of "technique". (olol why does this seem so familiar Michael?)

So Fret, for you the definition of "technique" = taking a shit. No wonder we disagreed so much :p
Not really sure what you're talking about here. I made that logic statement to prove that your determination of what defines an aspect of music is flawed. If I can insert the statement "taking a shit" in replacement of "technique" have the first 2 statements still be true and come to the conclusion "taking a shit is an aspect of music" then there's obviously something flawed with the logic being used. I'm actually kind of baffled how you missed this, unless you're now just joking around or something?

With all of this said, I'm not responding to any more posts about this in the tab thread. If one of you wants to talk about it more, you can PM me. A video was posted, and almost every comment about it (myself included) deals with technique: something that should not be the focus of attention! I only brought it up because I wanted to prove a point that guitar players shouldn't focus so much on technique rather than composition! In the end, nobody will remember a perfect cover, but everyone will remember a sloppy but amazing composition (not to say amazing compositions can't have good technique, remember it's about focus). Wow, can't believe I wrote this much...

Huh, don't write that much guys. No one 's gonna read this!

About technique... I haven't spend any minute in my life about my technique. I know it could be better but I do absolutely have no problem with anything.
That means: I can play the same thing with my bad technique other people can play with their good technique. So being a better guitarist just because you have a perfect or pretty good technique is bullshit.

wow, the internet makes me laugh.
i think people developing there own technique is good if they didnt, how would we hear and see different styles of playing different the world would be boring if everyone was exactly the same. in my opinion, there is no correct way to play a guitar and the way people do play is subconsciously influenced by people they see and watch. in a way its like handwriting, everyones is different.

I hate when people say things like that. This is not a subjective matter. It's not really relative to the individual player (I mean to an extent it is since we all have different hands, but overall it's not). There is an ideal, objective way to learn guitar. It's just not being taught because hardly anyone knows what the correct ways are. It's about efficiency, economy of motion, and being relaxed. Not about practicing incorrect methods just because they are comfortable for now but will lead to injuries in the future. Many people have yet to realize this.

Wow what a nice thread. I'm sorry i suck in english so i can't write how i would in my native language. However the above quoted statement is where it all started: the real misunderstanding. And please don't come out with Leonardo...
The matter IS subjective. Everything in art is subjective. Art is the freedom to HONESTLY expressing yourself. Many people don't understand this and they express themselves like teachers say, they are anchored into a tradition. The worst thing is: one hand technique to rule them all. This is damn wrong: a fascist conception of the art of guitar playing. Even Herman Li changes his style when sweep picking for example. On the other side Malmsteen says that only full bend are "real" bend. A poor, poor scientist approach to the art...
The muscles and tendons of the hand are very different from people to people so for this thing people write in very different ways. The same happens for guitarplaying. You still have to demonstrate that a guitarist with your "best ultimate technique" is a better guitarist than one with the dumbass technique.

Maybe this "perfect technique" is the most optimized, efficient way of playing the guitar, but let me state it again: the focus should not be on the technique! and just because someone uses a different technique doesn't mean they are somehow an inferior guitarist because they can't "maintain control" as your statement suggests.
The focus should be balanced. You shouldn't really emphasize composing/playing your compositions before you have got your technique down. When your technique is good and efficient, this will allow you to be so much better in the compositional and playing process.

As far as the statement "How you position your hand on the fretboard affects sound" I disagree here too. Using different notes, durations of notes, note sequences (phrasing) affects the sound much more than the position of your hand on the fretboard, bringing me back to my original point: the focus should not be on technique!
I think you really have missed the point here.

Not really sure what you're talking about here. I made that logic statement to prove that your determination of what defines an aspect of music is flawed. If I can insert the statement "taking a shit" in replacement of "technique" have the first 2 statements still be true and come to the conclusion "taking a shit is an aspect of music" then there's obviously something flawed with the logic being used. I'm actually kind of baffled how you missed this, unless you're now just joking around or something?
haha, yes, I knew exactly what you were doing. This is the reason Kant said logic is vacuous. But keep in mind that formally, before any proof is given, there are axioms and definitions that are also given. But obviously this is not some school paper I'm writing, so I didn't go thru all that stuff. Where we seem to be differing, however, is on our definition and understanding of "technique" and the effects it has on music as a whole.

With all of this said, I'm not responding to any more posts about this in the tab thread. If one of you wants to talk about it more, you can PM me. A video was posted, and almost every comment about it (myself included) deals with technique: something that should not be the focus of attention! I only brought it up because I wanted to prove a point that guitar players shouldn't focus so much on technique rather than composition! In the end, nobody will remember a perfect cover, but everyone will remember a sloppy but amazing composition (not to say amazing compositions can't have good technique, remember it's about focus). Wow, can't believe I wrote this much...

Well same here; if we can't seem to agree on definitions then I'm done with this topic. It was fun though.

The matter IS subjective. Everything in art is subjective. Art is the freedom to HONESTLY expressing yourself.
I think you're confusing what exactly in art it is that is subjective. The interpretation of art is what we can label as "subjective". This is because everyone has their own mind and interprets things on a personal level.

However, the method of execution to producing that art is not really subjective (I prefer "relative") at all. And by "method" I'm not talking about composing. Take for example the way a painter holds his paint brush. If he were to hold it ONLY between his ring finger and pinky, how efficient do you think that would be for his paintings? I mean sure, he could get some lines and miscellaneous shapes on the canvas, but would he be able to paint what he really wants to paint? Most likely not, or maybe he could manage doing it in 5 years if he is careful. So this method of holding the paint brush would certainly be seen as bad technique by other painters.

Switching over to musical instruments/guitar: This is where Aleksi's long post comes into play. We all are proportioned in basically the same way, given that we are all human beings (and this is of course assuming none of us are extremely deformed in any physical manner). And so the laws of physics, exertion, and economy of motion will apply to all of us equally. The thumb behind the neck was the example given earlier. So there is indeed an objective matter in all this. Not everything about art can be subjective. If that was the case, there would be no defining "art" whatsoever.

I feel like I'm repeating myself but in different words. If you guys choose not to see what we're saying, then ok. All I can say is that we tried to help you out. But maybe some day in the future, when you see how you've limited yourselves, you will realize what we were saying.

Oh man......I shouldn't have said anything :lol:.

So in conclusion:
Although music comes first one must not completely ignore the important aspects of technique, which allows one to play without developing serious physical strains.

Holy crap! Good technique is nice and pleases the eyes, but PG has some of the most awkward hands on the guitar god olimpo and he still kicks pretty much everyone's ass. As far as I'm concerned, technique is what leads me to do things and e.g. I have to learn how to properly do sweep pickings or bendings or tapping, but if I place my hand 1º left or right from the "good" position I don't think really maters. Even when puting my finger back on the fretboard instead of on top, I feel weird and uncomfortable, so I don't play with perfectly paralel fingers, I actually slant them a bit, but I play more comfortable and I can do more things like that.

And if paralel position and slanted positon only differ on that the former will get me to Rusty Cooley's technique for videogame shred then I don't want it, I'd rather keep my "wrong" but comfortable positioning.

@Mystique:
ok of course there's a general consensus technique, but if i play the guitar with my teeth and i obtain amazing results what the hell?
We have a general anatomy in common thanks God, but the hand anatomy is relative absolutely, so it happens that people write in very different ways, ways in wich they are comfortable with, even if the teachers say; "keep the hand this way..." and so on.
I'm repeating myself for the last time. I feel it as an insult to me that you say that i have a limited view. I feel your view as basically dead and uncritical.
The funny things is that i actually use the "thumb behind the neck" sometimes. When i feel i need it. But saying that other techniques are garbage just for a general consensus is THE limited view. Just check the best guitar player in history, not only metal and go tell the their view are limited. In the end i don't care what do you think anymore since you seem really close minded. You seem like an aikidoka who says: "my martial art is better than yours".
But that was a good discussion anyway.

Technique isn't something you should worry about EXCEPT if it badly affects your playing. e.g. You're alternate picking on the first string when your hand is dropped right in the middle of your strings. GG it makes all kinds of noise.