TAB Thread.

There's no tapping on the blooddrunk solo. If you use the guitar pro from this thread bar 91 has hammer ons. Besides that it's all picked. There's prob quite a few vids of people (even Alexi) playing the solo on youtube you should probably check out if you wanna see what they pick.

Yeah that's what I meant.. hammer ons not tapping.. *facepalm* I'm psyched to be able to play the first COB solo 45% speed now :D It's rewarding.

Joonas,
when you are practicing go for the hardest thing. Even if you cannot do that, just try. Try Malmsteen. Try the rhytm guitars and some licks. Then watch plenty of instructional videos. There are plenty from Paul Gilbert, which make the hardest thing playable on guitar seem easy, to many others. Check Alexi's video too. More, check every guitarist, even the dumbest. Every guitarist can teach you something.
If you want to play bodom stuff start learning alternate picking, up, down, up, down and so on. Do not forget to learn chords and barrè chords, this will help you later when you will do sweep picking. In fact, the greatest classical-flamenco guitarist are truly impressive when switching between chords and licks.
As for the easiest Cob Solo i still don't know, i don't think the BoR to be one of the easiest just because it is a "slow" song. For example i find the SNBN easier even if much faster, or better the Needled 24/7 which i learned the morning before the CoB gig but that's another story:)

when you are practicing go for the hardest thing.

That's definitely much wiser than going for something that's easy just for the sake of playing a full song.. I started with COB when I got the guitar, so that's pretty challenging for a beginner.. but the thing with COB is its got easy parts and very difficult parts.. but my motivation increased recently since I bought another guitar.. a Gibson SG copy used for 100€, not as good as my Ibanez but looks nice for furniture :lol: and I can now have one in D or drop-C and other in E..

I'd say the Hellhounds solo is the easiest, as long as you have a decent tapping technique.

I think that might look easy on paper but to get it sound credible is another thing. I just got the whole Blooddrunk song down, but the fastest parts I can't do as fast as required.. Next I should check the keyboard parts again..

Actually, here in Finland, where are tons of great guitar players, people always say that you should play stuff like Bodom after about 3-4 years of playing. Thats because (like Laiho sayed in Kuuden Kielen Maisterit interview) playing too hard stuff sounds crap. Time and practice will get your technique to level where you can learn those solos about 15 minutes. Play easy songs and riffs at beginning of your guitar career and you sound better.

When I got my first electric guitar (Harley Benton) first thing what I played with it was Everytime I die melody part after first sweeps, and beginning from Silent Night Bodom Night. After year I thought that I could play like 10 Bodom soungs with solos, but it was shock to record and hear my playing...

I am after two weeks playing exactly five years of guitar. There was times when I trained 2-3 hours a day, and times when I did´t even touch my guitar. It easy to be afterwise, but I think that I could be better now if I haven´t start with that hard stuff. Touch is that thing what really makes playing sound good...

Speed isn´t anything if you don´t play clean. Thats the key.

Btw, I remember notes or "can play" almoust every song from Bodom except Something Wild album (The Nail end sweeps and Lake Bodom beginning I can) and anything from Bloodrunk. And I have to say that Laiho use (or did use) very much same patterns and scales in his solos. I don´t wanna sound like asshole but "when you can play one, you can play them all" :rofl:

What I think makes COB music - for a COB fan - a good challenge for a semi-beginner to play is you can remember every note by ear, so to speak. It could be more difficult for me to do a Metallica solo as I don't know their songs as well. And there's easy parts and difficult parts you can come back to later once you've developed your skills another step.

But yeah, just remembering the notes of a song is not enough, it has to sound as good. And its plus if you don't have to play stuff only 20% speed because you're incapable of more..

Yeah, if you have patience enough to practice hard stuff with 20% speed and with proper picking, then it´s maybe fine to play those at the beginning.

But it´s boring as hell, atleast sometimes :D Remember record your playing before you increase speed.

And yes, there are guys who can play incredible good at 1-2 years of playing, BUT I have seen them only in Youtube, so you kinda have to just trust what they say about they playing years.

Well, technically I have only played 5-7 days. :D If I have played on average 1-2 hours every week for 2 years... So 2 years of playing is a lot with that logic. Some of those guys could well be pissing us in the eye.

Of course, if you aim to play Bodom stuff this should be just one part of your training.
Do not forget training both hands, chords, finger excercises etc : in one word the basics.
Then, since you are playing metal you should learn some classic metal stuff like metallica and so on.
In your training i would even put in some totally different music even if you don't like it.

Well I've been playing for 3 years and I have no problem with COB songs and HAHAHAHAHA I still have an OOOLLLDDD record of me playing "Kissing the Shadows" when I had about 4-5 months of experience HAHAHA it's sooo not clean.

Here's my COVER after a year of playing.

^You're actually pretty good but you can do better :D

EDIT: WTF my guitar nut just broke D:!!!!!!! I knew my .60 string would break it. (I didn't fit it in.)

^
Wow respect, im wondering that u can play after a year Sweeps. And you play the solos...nice one ;)
You should only buy a better Camera ;)

K ive been playing for about 7 years now, only seriously for about 1 (I had shitty teachers, and just had no motivation since they wouldnt teach me what i wanted) so I've been working on lots of stuff, random Bodom riffs, my own stuff, lots of improvising (its probably what im best at) playing guitar with vocals, and some band work. So my question is where should I go from here? Ive got very fast and coordinated hands, great tapping skils and not-so-great sweeping skills, but where should I go from here. Im not losing inspiration, I love the guitar and Id be happy with just doing what Im doing, but I need a challenge and I want a suggestion. Tell me a harder song for me to learn, and I will learn it, jusst give me a suggestion. Preferably dont pick a song with lots of chording in it, I hate chording with a passion.

P.S. If you want to know exactly how good I am, go to youtube and search up the Hourglass vomit riff, from Lamb of God. I can play that cleanly and up to speed on a shitty 20 dollar acoustic guitar, and I was at that level after about 20 minutes of practicing. (my electric guitar is in the city getting a new pickup put in, so Im stuck with that terrible acoustic.)