TAB Thread.

<-Warheart-> said:
Oh really, my bad. I wouldn't know, I don't collect guitar magazines anymore unless there's some decent thing about Bodom or Paul Gilbert. I've got to that point where the only thing that will make me better is practise, although these video things do inspire me to play more.

Well, I don't know a lot about theory, so I pick up some usefull stuff from the mags.
BTW, how did you learn so much about theory? Lessons?

Nope, worked it all out myself.

In the 2 or so months before I started college (waste of time) I spend every hour playing the guitar. Prior to that, I pretty much knew what a pentatonic scale was, now I'm actually pretty advanced, didn't have the internet then either.

I already knew all the notes on the neck so I used to work out what arpeggios people like Malmsteen, Becker were playing, then figure out all the inversions, transpose them to different keys etc.

Also, working out what scale this is(*), and then makign riffs/leads out if it. It's undoubtedly the best way of properly learning something...apllication.

e--------------------------------------------------------
b--------------------------------------------------------
g--------------------6-7---------------------------------
d----------------7-8-----8-7-5-8-7-5--------------------
a-4-5-7-4-5-7-8----------------------8-7-5-4-7-5-4-5---
e--------------------------------------------------------

Stuff like that. Also, working out all the modes in one key, transposing those.

Actually, I have a theory book that I think I used to check every now and then too. The only thing in it I haven't bothered to learn are all the extended chords used in jazz.

I see...I only know the major (concert scales, as they were taught to me) scales from playing trumpet. But, I'm liking hte Melodic Minor scale, since I can make some interesting things from it, and also I can easily shift to the pentatonic minor from it. But...keys, modes etc....I still need to get that stuff down.

hey warheart, you said that you've studied Alexi's style....so i was wondering what is the best way for me to write a song in his style? is there a certain mode that he uses? certain scales? any help would be nice. thanks :)

Very nicely done shadowsouls, thanks alot! :D

Mystique1721 said:
hey warheart, you said that you've studied Alexi's style....so i was wondering what is the best way for me to write a song in his style? is there a certain mode that he uses? certain scales? any help would be nice. thanks :)

Hmm, it's more about the way he uses scales since he only uses natural minor and harmonic minor, plus a bunch of diatonic arpeggios. But he writes in Emin alot and uses Emin, D, C alot. Messing around with a progression like that in different orders. Also the use of G alot to keep things interesting.

Do this and you'll see what I mean, listen to the chord progressions in:

the LAKE BODOM intro and riff rhythms
SILENT NIGHT, BODOM NIGHT rhythm
Rhythm guitar under the HATEBREEDER solos
the rhythm guitar under the DOWNFALL solo
rhythm parts in most of KISSING THE SHADOWS
rhythm parts in TRASHED LOST AND STRUNGOUT

It'd be easier if you got the tabs and looks at the tabs and compared the use of chords in the songs I just mentioned, you will see the same progression but just in different keys. Have a play through them all and you'll be able to see how they all use the same progression but it's the melody/tempo/key/vocals etc that make it sound different. So you could use that progression alot and it'll be a starting point.

Tempo, I'd probably say 140-150 and use 16th notes alot (BODOM AFTER MIDNIGHT, KISSING THE SHADOWS, CHOKEHOLD, LAKE BODOM, TRIPLE CORPSE HAMMERBLOW) or put it at 180-200 like most of their songs (HATE CREW DEATHROLL, WARHEART, DOWNFALL, FOLLOW THE REAPER, HATE ME, NEEDLED 24/7).

I'm not going to go in to much detail but notice all his riffs are based around Emin and alot of chugging on the low string, almost always using Emin or E phrygian. (NEEDLED intro, FOLLOW THE REAPER intro riff, DEADNIGHT WARRIOR riff, BLACK WIDOW verse riff)

And then the melody, I'd probably say use E minor and base the actual melody around an E. If you want arpeggios, use Emin, Dmaj, Cmaj and/or maybe a long sequence of diminished.

The structre of his melodies isn't really complex, they're very basic just going up or down scales, using pedal tones, open strings, pentatonic scales or arpeggios but as I said it's the chords that are under them as well as clever phrasing which is something you need to find in yourself, it's a very personal thing. Same thing for the keyboards too.

Hopefully you can understand that and put together a kickass song, let us know how it turns out, maybe we could help you out. :headbang:

EXAMPLE I JUST WROTE IN 5 MINUTEShttp://download.yousendit.com/AD81FE2023A006D5http://download.yousendit.com/AD81FE2023A006D5

I did 3 different endings to show basically what he's do in that situation. you can find it a lot in Sinergy too. (I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE, SUICIDE BY MY SIDE).

I hope that helps, maybe we can all have a go at writing a melody over it or something.

Fetzer said:
Yeah, when you tab or learn a lot of song from a band, it becomes really easy.

Yep, especially when there's not much variation in the rhythm guitars. Alexander/Roope must be really bored on stage. :erk: