TAB Thread.

Some of you guys got cool solos, a few people gotta work on what scale they solo in cuz it sounded off sometimes.

Don't take any offense, my personal favs were

warheart
EPI
ben johnson
and fetzer

Alexi's solo was kinda meh. good job to everyone!:headbang: :headbang:

btw warheart, are you a fan of paul gilbert? I noticed the string skipping there. Your solo is heavily influened by alexi and paul

oh one more thing, hey warheart, do you happen to have any just like tracks with powerchords or riffs that I could solo over in whatever key you have. I know I can just mute other tracks in songs, but I would like a consistent repeated progression. And tbh, i couldn't be bothered to learn how to make my own, so if you do, i would appreciate it

EDIT: I just realized how dumb it sounds to not be bothered, so I will learn soon, in the meantime, if you could provide me with some that would be great.

yea,i know mine is not the best solo in the world but I dont think DJ british, or shadow's were on key.(just what I hear)

-[chop]- said:
I feel insulted by that :D

btw you are my fire Mitch :lol:

Not you dude, "idiot" was Merrild. I don't know why he felt the need to come in and post what he did but it obviously sparked some off-topic stuff.

Ben Johnson said:
Those drum fills were Jaska-tacular.

:D I thought so too, I really like his style. Also, Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater and Chris Adler of Lamb of God so you might see some fills that remind of them too.

Follow the Roope-R said:
Some of you guys got cool solos, a few people gotta work on what scale they solo in cuz it sounded off sometimes.

Don't take any offense, my personal favs were

warheart
EPI
ben johnson
and fetzer

Alexi's solo was kinda meh. good job to everyone!

btw warheart, are you a fan of paul gilbert? I noticed the string skipping there. Your solo is heavily influened by alexi and paul

oh one more thing, hey warheart, do you happen to have any just like tracks with powerchords or riffs that I could solo over in whatever key you have. I know I can just mute other tracks in songs, but I would like a consistent repeated progression. And tbh, i couldn't be bothered to learn how to make my own, so if you do, i would appreciate it

I love Paul Gilbert. He's my favourite guitarist technically, and Alexi is my favourite on a compositional note. I look that firts pattern from some Alexi does all the time, and the string skipping is a Racer X style thing, you were right. :cool:

I think I have a few jam tracks but they're not metal/rock so I'll have to write some out or something.

Did anyone notice how I ended it? :D:D:p

Ben Johnson said:
:headbang:

Those drum fills were Jaska-tacular.
btw I liked your solo the most, I have a question, you know the last part of it, you did a harmonized diminished run(atleast it sounded like it), if at all possible, could you explain to me like how you know which diminished scale to incorporate over which chord. So the rhythm behind it was G#(thinking in E standard not D), so like is the diminished run based over the G#, or the overall C# rhythm? And how did you harmonize it? Diatonic Harmonization in minor scales is getting kinda boring for me, so I am trying to learn new things. Thanks

<-Warheart-> said:
I love Paul Gilbert. He's my favourite guitarist technically, and Alexi is my favourite on a compositional note. I look that firts pattern from some Alexi does all the time, and the string skipping is a Racer X style thing, you were right. :cool:

I think I have a few jam tracks but they're not metal/rock so I'll have to write some out or something.

Did anyone notice how I ended it? :D:D:p

LoL I should have looked at your sig first before I asked that question. Yeah that first lick I noticed alexi does a lot, especially in like Mask of Sanity and Bastards of Bodom.

Hey also, if you made some jam tracks I think it would be beneficial for the forum as well. Like if you made some progressions in a lot of the common progressions first like you know E minor, phrygian, major, and then for like the common progressions like E, D, A, and stuff, that would be soo cool. I am not imposing anything on you, I am just saying like it would be a next step or something if you have already tabbed most bodom songs, but you already done so much as far as tabbing goes so good job and thnx a bunch to you:kickass:

Follow the Roope-R said:
btw I liked your solo the most, I have a question, you know the last part of it, you did a harmonized diminished run(atleast it sounded like it), if at all possible, could you explain to me like how you know which diminished scale to incorporate over which chord. So the rhythm behind it was G#(thinking in E standard not D), so like is the diminished run based over the G#, or the overall C# rhythm? And how did you harmonize it? Diatonic Harmonization in minor scales is getting kinda boring for me, so I am trying to learn new things. Thanks

I realise that I'm not Ben Johnson, but I can help.

This song is in the key of C#min (C#, D#, E, F#, G#, A, B, C#).

The last section of this backing track is G# major (G#, B#, D#). Over this, the best scale to use would be C# harmonic minor (C#, D#, E, F#, G#, A, B#, C#).

Now if you want to play a diminished run like in Ben's solo or any Malmsteen solo etc, you can figure out which frets to use but starting a diminished lick on the #7th of the harmonic minor scale. In this case, it's B# so play a diminished lick starting on B#, then you can move it up and down (by 3 frets each time of course) and start wherever you want.

Here's a C# (the root):

E-9-
B---

The #7th in this scale would be on the 8th fret so you could play something like this:

E-8-5---5--11-8------8--14-11----11--17-14----14-
B----7-7-------10--10--------13-13--------16-16---
G-----8----------11------------14-----------17----- etc

Also, another way to find your note that you can start on, is to play the major chord which is a 4th lower than your root chord (the key). Basically, in this C#min piece, you'd play a G#major. Then, just simply find the major3rd and that's your note, which is also the raised 7th of the harmonic minor scale that's diatonic to that key. So there's 2 ways of working it out. If you actually sit there with a guitar and do this, it won't seem so confusing. :erk:

In terms of harmonising, you can use 3 frets apart or 6, 9, 12, 15 etc because being a fully diminished arpeggio, all the intervals are minor 3rds so you can harmonise it with the same shape in any inversion. (What I tabbed above are the inversions of a fully diminished arpeggio).

Using anything else for this arpeggio might not sound great though so that's your best bet. Ben used 6 frets strictly when harmonising although he fingering the arpeggios differently in each part so it might not be obvious just by looking at it.

For the backing track thing, what kinda style do you want, what speeds etc?
Give me a rough idea.

Great job on that Mitch! :D. When I listened to it again, I realized mine didnt sound quite the way I thought at the beginning :p.

I think it would be really cool if we could do it again sometime. :)

<-Warheart-> said:
I realise that I'm not Ben Johnson, but I can help.

This song is in the key of C#min (C#, D#, E, F#, G#, A, B, C#).

The last section of this backing track is G# major (G#, B#, D#). Over this, the best scale to use would be C# harmonic minor (C#, D#, E, F#, G#, A, B#, C#).

Now if you want to play a diminished run like in Ben's solo or any Malmsteen solo etc, you can figure out which frets to use but starting a diminished lick on the #7th of the harmonic minor scale. In this case, it's B# so play a diminished lick starting on B#, then you can move it up and down (by 3 frets each time of course) and start wherever you want.

Here's a C# (the root):

E-9-
B---

The #7th in this scale would be on the 8th fret so you could play something like this:

E-8-5---5--11-8------8--14-11----11--17-14----14-
B----7-7-------10--10--------13-13--------16-16---
G-----8----------11------------14-----------17----- etc

Also, another way to find your note that you can start on, is to play the major chord which is a 4th lower than your root chord (the key). Basically, in this C#min piece, you'd play a G#major. Then, just simply find the major3rd and that's your note, which is also the raised 7th of the harmonic minor scale that's diatonic to that key. So there's 2 ways of working it out. If you actually sit there with a guitar and do this, it won't seem so confusing. :erk:

In terms of harmonising, you can use 3 frets apart or 6, 9, 12, 15 etc because being a fully diminished arpeggio, all the intervals are minor 3rds so you can harmonise it with the same shape in any inversion. (What I tabbed above are the inversions of a fully diminished arpeggio).

Using anything else for this arpeggio might not sound great though so that's your best bet. Ben used 6 frets strictly when harmonising although he fingering the arpeggios differently in each part so it might not be obvious just by looking at it.

For the backing track thing, what kinda style do you want, what speeds etc?
Give me a rough idea.

Wow, that makes perfect sense. Thanks a bunch man! A quick question, so you basically dissect the notes of both rhythms then find which scale they fit in? So lets say when you dissect it, yo uknow, whatever, its like a D mixolydian or something, I don't know if a diminished would fit over it good, but would you again do it on the 7th of that scale. Is the diminished scale applied to only the 7ths?

Like both maybe? A fast one for just shredding, and a slower mid tempo one for like you know slower more melodic and emphazising the phrasing. Again, I don't want to force you to do anything, but like you know, it would also help out the forum too. haha I sound like a little prick. But yeah, like a slow one for slower solos and fast one for shred type things. So could you first do like (in D standard, so I will be talking as if in E standard, but in D in actuality), like the common E that bodom uses, and then maybe a B? If you do , you are awesome man

Ben Johnson said:
Yeah, thanks for answering that, Mitch. I have no idea what I'm doing, really - I just play whatever sounds right.:p
haha yea,sometimes I'm just messing around and my guitar teacher was like,
"what was that?"
"I was just messing around"
"that was a diatonic fluctual shifting paradox run"
"cool"

Follow the Roope-R said:
Wow, that makes perfect sense. Thanks a bunch man! A quick question, so you basically dissect the notes of both rhythms then find which scale they fit in? So lets say when you dissect it, yo uknow, whatever, its like a D mixolydian or something, I don't know if a diminished would fit over it good, but would you again do it on the 7th of that scale. Is the diminished scale applied to only the 7ths?

Like both maybe? A fast one for just shredding, and a slower mid tempo one for like you know slower more melodic and emphazising the phrasing. Again, I don't want to force you to do anything, but like you know, it would also help out the forum too. haha I sound like a little prick. But yeah, like a slow one for slower solos and fast one for shred type things. So could you first do like (in D standard, so I will be talking as if in E standard, but in D in actuality), like the common E that bodom uses, and then maybe a B? If you do , you are awesome man

If you have a D Mixolydian lick and you want to play a diminished arpeggio next, you should figure out the key first.

OK you said D Mixolydian? That's the 5th mode of the major scale so if a D note is the 5th, a G note would be the key, you'd be in G major, right?

Now I said last time about starting on the #7th of the harmonic minor, but first you need to find the natural minor. In G major, the relative natural minor is Emin (E,F#,G,A,B,C,D,E). So if D is the 7th, D# much be the #7th (harmonic minor) so I THINK you'd base a diminished lick around that and move it up/down by 3 frets like last time.

I'm not positive on this like I was last time but it makes sense if you compare it with my other example.

xshadowsoulsx said:
Great job on that Mitch! . When I listened to it again, I realized mine didnt sound quite the way I thought at the beginning .

I think it would be really cool if we could do it again sometime.

Hehe yeah, that synth I put in there really highlights accidentals. That's why I was trying to point out to everyone to stick with a diatonic solo.

Conti said:
haha yea,sometimes I'm just messing around and my guitar teacher was like,
"what was that?"
"I was just messing around"
"that was a diatonic fluctual shifting paradox run"
"cool"

:lol:

Nice work warheart ! I have no idea what you meant with the comment "Take it away Inhe" though :lol:

Still, really nice work, i'm looking forward to doing something like this again! :)

<-Warheart-> said:
Not you dude, "idiot" was Merrild. I don't know why he felt the need to come in and post what he did but it obviously sparked some off-topic stuff.

Yeah!! well its ok Mitch ^^

inhe said:
Nice work warheart ! I have no idea what you meant with the comment "Take it away Inhe" though :lol:

Still, really nice work, i'm looking forward to doing something like this again! :)

Well it's a solo jam and you were first up so "take it away" just means go, basically. Lead the way.