TAB Thread.

Well some of the harmonies on that triplet bit were horrible. You were using minor 2nds and it sounded bad.

I don't like the way you've voiced some chords but the leads are pretty cool, remind me of that thing that Michael Angelo Batio does.

<-Warheart-> said:
Well some of the harmonies on that triplet bit were horrible. You were using minor 2nds and it sounded bad.

I don't like the way you've voiced some chords but the leads are pretty cool, remind me of that thing that Michael Angelo Batio does.
you reckon you could teach me a thing or two about harmonies? :)

That's really easy to understand. BfmV stuff is all usually diatonic 3rds. "Diatonic" means in key, or within the scale.

I'll write an example in A minor because it has no sharps or flats so it'll be easier to take it.

A minor = A B C D E F G A
Degrees - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

To harmonise in diatonic 3rds, you take the note you want to harmonise (A) and count 3 up. A..B..C. So in Aminor, you'd play a C to harmonise an A note in 3rds.

If you want to harmonise the next note (B) in the same way, you just use the same formula, count 3 up. B..C..D which means you'll play an D over a B.

This works in every single key, major or minor but you need to know your key and the notes that are in it. BfmV are using a drop tuning so typically their songs will be in Dminor (D E F G A Bb C D) tuned down one whole step.

In this GP4 file, I've played an open A string with 2 note chords (diads) added in using this 3rd type harmony. The first diad will be A&C, then B&D, then C&E etc etc just going up the scale each time.

The 2nd example is the same thing but in Dminor using a drop tuning like BfmV would use. Also Atreyu, Killswitch, Trivium etc etc.

http://download.yousendit.com/84908FA61C4320A8

That's as simple as it gets and if you don't understand, you should probably read up on how scales work etc and how to build chords. Building chords is the same thing as this actually, just instead you add a 5th aswell.

I'm guessing I don't need to point out that 2 guitars would play the 2 different notes otherwise it can start to sound muddy, especially with the amount of gain they use.

Reactions: Fetzer
<-Warheart-> said:
That's really easy to understand. BfmV stuff is all usually diatonic 3rds. "Diatonic" means in key, or within the scale.

I'll write an example in A minor because it has no sharps or flats so it'll be easier to take it.

A minor = A B C D E F G A
Degrees - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

To harmonise in diatonic 3rds, you take the note you want to harmonise (A) and count 3 up. A..B..C. So in Aminor, you'd play a C to harmonise an A note in 3rds.

If you want to harmonise the next note (B) in the same way, you just use the same formula, count 3 up. B..C..D which means you'll play an D over a B.

This works in every single key, major or minor but you need to know your key and the notes that are in it. BfmV are using a drop tuning so typically their songs will be in Dminor (D E F G A Bb C D) tuned down one whole step.

In this GP4 file, I've played an open A string with 2 note chords (diads) added in using this 3rd type harmony. The first diad will be A&C, then B&D, then C&E etc etc just going up the scale each time.

The 2nd example is the same thing but in Dminor using a drop tuning like BfmV would use. Also Atreyu, Killswitch, Trivium etc etc.

http://download.yousendit.com/84908FA61C4320A8

That's as simple as it gets and if you don't understand, you should probably read up on how scales work etc and how to build chords. Building chords is the same thing as this actually, just instead you add a 5th aswell.

I'm guessing I don't need to point out that 2 guitars would play the 2 different notes otherwise it can start to sound muddy, especially with the amount of gain they use.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: thanks so much! im savin that :lol:
what does "diatonic" mean, are there other ones that arent diatonic that will do a different kind of sound?

You can search for scale, on the internet or in books, cause there's to many to tell you here, cause for an exemple, it can become kind of hard to explain on net like:

Difference between Diatonic and Minor scale:

Diaonic:
W-W-H-W-W-W-H

Minor:
W-H-W-W-H-W-W

And it's just very very basic, there's alot of thing for each scale... so...

@ Fetzer: I wouldn't explain it like that. Diatonic isn't a scale, it's a term used to indicate that something is using a scale and one only. Both your examples are diatonic.

Kattanna: Yeah, non diatonic harmonies will give different sounds but just learn about this stuff first.

kk will do. thanks a bunch, what happened to Epi anyway? i thought he was tabbing that classical part out lol... anyway, what guitar do you play warheart / fetzer

Yeah, I think I've just screw things up how I explained it lol. It's like a scale of scale... Like Diatonic Scale, and in this you have different scale...

and my exemple was just in general to show that it wouldn't be easy to explain thing on the net, I could have just Egyptian or Minor Blues it would not matter.

EDIT: I play Keyboard, no guitar :)