Taco Buffet?

zedowns

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles
So I could just be tripping balls right now, but I'm PRETTY SURE when I first started visiting these forums a few years ago there were talks about a Taco Buffet in Midtown? Is this Taco Cabana that I've seen posted around here?

I'm just curious as I've gone the last few years and haven't seen any Mexican food places close by, let alone a taco buffet. The idea of eating 10-70 tacos is mighty intriguing.

So I could just be tripping balls right now, but I'm PRETTY SURE when I first started visiting these forums a few years ago there were talks about a Taco Buffet in Midtown? Is this Taco Cabana that I've seen posted around here?

I'm just curious as I've gone the last few years and haven't seen any Mexican food places close by, let alone a taco buffet. The idea of eating 10-70 tacos is mighty intriguing.

No taco buffet. Maybe you saw Glenn mention something about tacos and Jimmy Buffett. :cool:

Taco Cabana is pretty good -- and 24-hr! -- Mexican fare, but it isn't buffet-style. You DO get a lot; their fajita nachos are a tough assignment to finish in one sitting. :lol:

I can do it, and I know the guys in Mindflow can I saw them do it. Plus i saw them devour a whole 15 lb brisket at my house, those boys can eat!!!!!

You're probably thinking about Taco Cabana, which we usually hit every night on the way home. :) The "buffet" part just has all the different salsas, japs, that sort of thing. You order at the counter then fill up containers from the salsa "buffet." It's at the corner of Piedmont and Cheshire Bridge.

http://www.tacocabana.com/

Taco Cabana is literally a 3-minute ride from Center Stage at night, but it's best to take along a local or someone who's already been there, since the return trip uses a slightly different -- but still quick -- route.

Umm, drive past Center Stage. Stay to the left when the road forks at the traffic light. Keep going as that ramps up and over and then down. Take a right at the first 'exit' (Monroe Drive/Piedmont or something similar). At the light, make a left, when you reach Piedmont Rd. you're literally staring right at Taco Cabana.

For the return, go back down Monroe Drive but go past the traffic light where you came off the highway. At the foot of that hill is a traffic light at Armour Dr. Take a right, make an immediate left onto the ramp and then follow signs for Spring Street; you'll come out right behind the venue and near the former Fairfield Inn (R.I.P.)

I imagine it would be significantly less intriguing for the people standing near you at the show that night! :lol:

Yes, much like Dr. Orpheus leaving the restroom, at around the 1:00 mark here:

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sort of OT but maybe someone here will know this. I know the Vortex is open late but do they keep serving food until 3 AM or is it just the bar that stays open after a certain point? Even if it's just a limited menu, it is on our walk home.

I know the Vortex is open late but do they keep serving food until 3 AM or is it just the bar that stays open after a certain point?

The kitchen at the Midtown location is open until 2:15am TH-Sat.

~ Jen