TAMPA

Zob Rombie

Fuggin GURU
Oct 21, 2002
Cherry Hill, NJ
Any one in or around or familiar with Tampa or the greater Tampa Bay Area?

Looks like thats where I'll be moving by the end of next month. Looking for any info anyone wants to share. The do's and don'ts where to go/not to go, etc., etc.

Hey Zob - I used to live there between 1983-2003 and now I'm out in San Diego. I moved because I finally had enough of the heat and humidity, and that is just a fact of life there. It's certainly a lot cheaper to live there than compared to Cali, but I was definitely ready for the change. I went back last year for my buddy's wedding in July and I cursed him for making me come out during such heat and humidty (those words are always together and it's always hot and humid).

One thing Tampa is famous for, and rightfully so is that it has the best titty bars. Mons Venus is still #1 - and I've been to quite a few across the U.S.. If that is your thing, then trust me it is the place to go and the place to take visitors. It is near Raymond James Stadium where the Bucs play, and if you like football that is an awesome stadium. The USF Bulls also play there so having college and pro football in a great setting is a big plus. If you like hockey - the Channelside District is a good destination. I always had a good time seeing games at the St. Pete Times Forum where the Lightning play and there is a nice little sports bar called Hattricks worth checking out for the wings and hot bartenders . That whole area has a lot of stuff to do, and it's about 10 minutes from the other party area called Ybor City. Ybor has an eclectic mix of people, clubs, shops and restaurants. For good Cuban food, Carmine's is one of the best spots and if you want something a little more formal then check out the Columbia Restaurant. It is a Tampa landmark and has great food and the best sangria. The house jazz band (Dick Rivers Band) is led by the Dad of one of my best friends, and it is a great place to take dates, friends, family, etc.

Of course, you have a lot of beaches and babes In FLA. I lived near Clearwater Beach which is nice, and a lot of my buddies worked at a beach bar there called Frenchy's Rockaway. It's right on the sand and is a good place to people watch - make sure to get some "she crab" soup if you are there...it is sinfully loaded with cream, butter and fresh crab but so damn worth it. The Gulf of Mexico gets warm and doesn't really have waves, so I used to trek over to the East Coast a lot and go to Daytona Beach. Daytona is a classic, but the beaches north of that leading up to St. Augustine are the best....they are quiet with great waves away from all the tourists. Orlando is also only an hour away from Tampa so you can make a run there for all sorts of stuff too.

Ahhh...tourists. The whole Tampa area always has tourists because of the theme parks, beaches, etc. - so add them to the healthy mix of elderly and you have a recipe for brutal traffic. I rode a motorcylce there for years and I'm still amazed that I survived it.

As I mentioned before - if you like sports, Tampa has made a pretty good turnaround. The Bucs won a Super Bowl, the Lightning won a Stanley Cup and the Rays have become a pretty good baseball team. You also have a ton of baseball teams there for spring training and if you like golf - the state is full of great courses. It is great to be able to golf year-round, but it is also hot and humid year-round and after a while it just burnt me out to always be sunburned and drenched with sweat no matter when or where I played. Westchase is a tough course where a lot of the football players golf and live, and it was always a favorite when I could afford it.

As far as the music scene - it has been a while so I'm not sure how it is trending there. I played in a metal band (influenced heavily by Sanctuary) in the late 80's/early 90's and it was weird because Tampa was known at the time as the death metal capital of the world, but we were too prog for the death crowd and too heavy for the mainstream so it was hard to find our niche. I think most metal bands still play at The Masquerade in Ybor City - that holds a special place in my heart because that is where I first saw Sanctuary. The smaller bands will usually play a major dive bar called the Brass Mug. I saw Nevermore and Opeth there, and it is a shithole, but I've seen so many great shows there over the years and my band logged many late nights sweating it out on that stage. I also saw Nevermore in a good place called the State Theater in St. Petersburg - a great venue but a dead area as far as the surrounding nightlife.

Well, that's a quick rundown for you - I wish you the best of luck in your journey !!!

Thanks for that great little review.

As of right now my friend and I have our sights set on the Tampa Palms/New Tampa area. We were there earlier in the week to check out property and managed to squeeze in an hour down south in Siesta Key. BEAUTIFUL white sand and warm water and LOTS of eye candy. The one thing thats going to be tough for me is constant heat and humidity. I'm a big guy so heat is not my friend. Ever.

We are relocating there to start an IT company specializing in servicing small-medium sized businesses all through out the area.

We checked out places from Town 'N Country all the way to Apollo Beach. It's competitive to find availability in a nice community down there.

Here is where we are looking to be as of now: equestrianparccondos.com

We have also been forewarned about the traffic. Not looking forward to that but then again, if you're near any big city theres always traffic at some point. I'm an Eagles fan (don't judge me) but I certainly wouldn't mind catching a few Bucs games. I'd only be slightly interested in the spring training in Clearwater because the Phillies train there every year. I'll be lucky if I can make it to anything with music because my friend that I'm moving down with shares no musical taste with me whatsoever. Also, doesn't seem like lots of big tours come through the area. So I'll be back in Philly in October to see NVRMR. The closest they are coming to FL is ALABAMA and i sure as fuck ain't driving over there.

UPDATE:

All systems are go. August 30 is the move date. The community linked in the post above is where I'll be heading.

Did I mention that we will be taking FULL advantage of the Florida Resident discounts on almost a dozen different theme parks? =D

You won't be too far from Busch Gardens - so you might want to get an annual pass. It was nice to be able to go there and sometimes just ride one or two rides and have some beers and know I didn't have to spend the whole day running around trying to hurry up and ride everything. Sometimes my wife and I would take a weekday off if the weather was good that week and we'd go on a Tuesday or something when the park was dead and we'd have the run of the place....you go to your favorite rides and hit them up 4 or 5 times in a row without spending hours in line. I know that moving sucks, but embrace the adventure and see where it takes ya !!!!

you are absolutely right! We just had a big discussion about all the theme parks and the annual passes we're getting

Busch Gardens
Aquatica
Adventure Isle
Universal Studios -> Preferred pass, no blackouts, free parking, etc.
Islands of Adventure ^
Disney (Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios) - Weekday Pass

You will love it there Zob!
I lived in Orlando for over 20 years and Tampa was one of my favorite places to go....!
I've been to the Brass Mug (lol..it is a dive! but *shrugs* fun...;)
as well as the State Theater (which is where i realized the band opening for Merciful Fate was NEVERMORE!) and OMGosh!! i had to go purchase every album they had made up until that point!! lol

Don't stress the heat and humidity...you will get used to it...a tip...get all your major running around done in the morning and just chill in the a/c for the rest of the day until the sun goes down!
Also..invest in some good curtains that keep the heat out and you will be fine!
Much luck to you!