Tasteful Shredding

Thoth-Amon

Hypochondriac
Apr 4, 2006
OK we all know about groups who go overboard with guitar wankery and Malmsteenisms essentially ruining whatever songwriting a particular album may have (some examples that come to mind are Necrophagist and Children of Bodom). But what do you feel are some examples of shredders who really know how to contribute to the music without overpower the songs.
A perfect example for me would be Andy LaRoque of King Diamond. He's just as flashy and technical as they come and yet it always sounds appropriate... never to much, always complimentary.
Thoughts?

I dont know who does the soloing in blind guardian but all their solos are made to contribute to the songs rather than showing off. Peter Lake from Theory In Practice is another guy which really has the actual song in mind when soloing.

Marty Friedman
Muhammed Suicmez
Andy LaRocque
Michael Romeo (solos are hit or miss)
Alex Skolnick
Alexi Laiho (cut him some slack, he's a good player on a lot of stuff)
Marco Sfogli
Kristian Niemann (Therion)
Christopher Amott (on Armageddon)
Hank Sherman/ Mike Denner (Best Mercyful Fate combo IMO, but I'm still not usually sure who plays what)
John Petrucci (more tasteful on early albums, but still good later)
Nuno Bettencourt
Yngwie (Duh... Overpowering but good at times. Overloaded Discography with him)
Jeff Waters
Lori Linstruth
Tony MacAlpine
Steve Vai

Bah Vai might be debatable on if he's Metal or not, but I would say his Alcatrazz album "Disturbing the Peace" qualifies him. There are a lot of guys I really like but just don't stand out like these do & I'm only including Metal guitarists.

The Theory in Pracitice guy is great too. Paul Masvidal has some great leads on Cynic, but I don't care much for him on "Human" for some reason... Maybe I need some Gordian Knot stuff. There were some great Cynic reunion videos on YouTube awhile back.

Skolnick, Mustaine on the new albums, the guys in Vital Remains,

The best would of course be Ace Frehley and Mick Mars.

Andy LaRocque,Mike Wead,Hank Shermann.
Lars Johansson.
Dave Murray,Adrian Smith.

Mustaine isn't tasteful on the newest album because he stole all the riffs from previous albums.

Oh yeah, KISS sucks.

KISS sucks? Really? Never noticed. I guess you never noticed the sarcasm; both Frehley and Mars are barely capable of playing in time. Neither can shred. All their solos suck. But way to notice sarcasm.
As for Mustaine, it's hard to steal a generic thrash riff. The solos are tasteful. The riffing and whatnot is fine, if generic. Not a huge fan of the new album, but both Mustaine and Drover do a fine job on guitar.

Dave Murray,Adrian Smith.
Murray and Smith don't really shred. Great guitarists, but not really shredders.

Not all of this list is metal but whatever:

Jason BeckerTony MacAlpine
Marty Freidman
Joe Satriani
John Petrucci
John McLaughlin (Jazz/fusion but who cares, this guy can tear up a guitar)
Kaj Gornitzka (formerly of Spiral Architect, now in Twisted into Form)
Steinar Gundersen (Spiral Architect)

Runner-ups:
Colin Marston & Mike Lerner of Behold...the Arctopus - They have a technical proficiency like none other but I can only take them in small doses. Their melodic breaks (check out the song Canada) are amazing though.