Tasteful Shredding

I understand you don't like Necrophagist & that's fine, but to simply write him off as just another generic sweeper or scale runner is ludicrous. I think he's quite original in that aspect of his playing & he's influenced by Malmsteen, but not a clone. I've never heard another band like Necrophagist. If you know of one let me know. I've asked the same question before & someone said "Theory in Practice"... WRONG! They're not like Necrophagist at al really. I've heard bands do similar things to them of course, but that was after they came out. He's very original in the Death Metal scene & he writes catchy Death Metal songs, that's why he's got some attention in the genre. You can hate his songs, but don't deny his talent.
He's obviously very talented, I know. Not what this thread is about, though...

:lol:

I've already explained why. Go read the other posts I've made.
Are they in a different thread or something? :confused:

OMG HE CAN SHRED THE FUCK OUT OF EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD GO MUHAMMED

I seriously LOLed at this :lol:

The reason I like "Onset of Putrefacation" so much is because I find it very tasty, very well-produced, extremely well-written, very well-played by the entire band (even the drummer hits the skins very well & doesn't hit nasty notes like George Kolias), technical, not boring, different, & it hits the spot when I want to want to listen to a little technical guitar shred Death Metal stuff instead of say bands like Samael, Graveworm, Neurosis, or My Dying Bride.

This thread had me interested in the album so I popped it in on my way to work & I like it just as I do the last time I heard it. Muhammed can sweep in his solos & always land on the perfect note.

I dunno, I'm kind of torn on Necrophagist. They are amazing musicians and they can write incredible songs (i.e. Stabwound, The Stillborn One, Only Ashes Remain) with impeccable precision, but they also have a side that doesn't flow very well, giving a very disjointed and random feel.

It's not I think the constant sweeps and whatnot are over the top (I love tech-metal), I just think it doesn't always flow very well. A number of their solos start sounding somewhat alike after awhile too.

Mathiäs;6744989 said:
An hour a week? So that's like less than 10 minutes a day?

@ shred

OK... I was exagerrating a bit, but I really don't play much at all compared to the 6-8 hours a day I used to play years ago. Put it this way, I play enough to learn a song here or there & jam with my friend for a few hours once in awhile, but not enough to learn the shit load of theory behind Jazz. I'm self taught I can play a lot of Metal songs & what not, but I'm not well versed in theory. I probably practice 2-5 hours a week. 5 hours being a very good week. Sometimes I might jam with my friend up to 5 hours a week, but not for the last 2 weeks. This week I probably did play only an hour though, so it's relative to the fact that I don't practice enough to make any huge gains.

Necrophagist has never annoyed me that much. I actually enjoy a good listen to them every once in a while.

EDIT: on topic, Michael Angelo Batio and Yngwie Malmsteen are like machines that have been programmed with music theory. All technique, no feeling and terrible songwriting. Michael Romeo and (early) Alexi Laiho both use shredding in a tasteful way.

I seriously LOLed at this :lol:

The reason I like "Onset of Putrefacation" so much is because I find it very tasty, very well-produced, extremely well-written, very well-played by the entire band (even the drummer hits the skins very well & doesn't hit nasty notes like George Kolias), technical, not boring, different, & it hits the spot when I want to want to listen to a little technical guitar shred Death Metal stuff instead of say bands like Samael, Graveworm, Neurosis, or My Dying Bride.

This thread had me interested in the album so I popped it in on my way to work & I like it just as I do the last time I heard it. Muhammed can sweep in his solos & always land on the perfect note.

Onset of Putrefaction is all Muhammed (and a drum machine). There's no band there, except for an ex-band member doing a solo on Extreme Unction.

But yes, I agree fully with the rest of your post. Necrophagist is a very unique, resourceful, and tasteful band, and it shows on Onset of Putrefaction (and Epitaph, to a lesser extent). +1.

He's prodding me for ridiculous reasons. I never do anything but express my point of view & ocassionally joke around a bit. I'm a nice guy, I never put anyone down here because of their opinions or other ridiculous reasons.

On a side note, "Onset of Putrfacation" was re-recorded with a full band & a different bass player from Muhammed. This is the version that I have. I didn't think the old version was still in circulation, but I could be wrong.

The drums weren't rerecorded, but the drum samples were; it's still a drum machine.

Wikipedia said:

And I have the rerecord too. It even sounds like a drum machine. But it seems you're right on the new bass tracks though. I'm intrigued now; I want to hear the original. :p

Necrophagist has never annoyed me that much. I actually enjoy a good listen to them every once in a while.

EDIT: on topic, Michael Angelo Batio and Yngwie Malmsteen are like machines that have been programmed with music theory. All technique, no feeling and terrible songwriting. Michael Romeo and (early) Alexi Laiho both use shredding in a tasteful way.

Ironically as programmed sounding with music theory that Yngwie sounds when he wrote his Guitar Concerto he couldn't even write the orchestral parts... he had to have some guy transcribe them. Jesus even I could write them out.

You have logged some hours if you could write all that out perfectly... I can't write symphony scores by ear myself.

I'm not a huge fan of his Concerto thing, but I think it just fit his style & that's all she wrote. My friend bought the DVD a long time ago & I've watched it many times.

You have logged some hours if you could write all that out perfectly... I can't write symphony scores by ear myself.

I'm not a huge fan of his Concerto thing, but I think it just fit his style & that's all she wrote. My friend bought the DVD a long time ago & I've watched it many times.

thats not quite what i meant... he didn't know how to write out the parts for orchestra... he composed them on guitar and wrote them down as guitar parts and had some other guy who knew how to transcribe do it for him... i was merely saying that I could write the parts out myself without having to use some other guy even if i had written them on another instrument (which is in fact how i've always done it as i've written all of my classical pieces on piano and transcribed the parts for various instruments)