Tasteful Shredding

yes he can play the content is so vapid... it sounds like technicality for technicalitiy's sake. Lars Johansen is a guy on the other hand who can shred his ass off and write completely memorable leads that compliment the song without going overboard.

Well, Necrophagist isn't the first place one should look for more lyrical solos or catchy shred. Their music doesn't warrant those types of solos. I'm sure he could write a memorable solo if he wanted to (there are many facets to all guitarists other than just what they're known for), his music just doesn't necessitate it.

I don't understand why you'd say his riffs aren't catchy or groovy though, just listen to the intros of Stillborn One and Seven.

I like how you took the only somewhat negative sounding thing I said in my post & quoted it so as to make it look like I'm just being negative.

Settle down children.
You misunderstand, it wasn't the most negative part I quoted but the most moronic. I could dissect the rest of the ways in which you are failing to grasp the nature of this discussion, but why bother?

Steve Vai.
And the song "For The Love Of God". ESSENTIAL LISTENING.
Shreddtastic at the end but emotional in the beginning.

Wow. Second time I've endorsed your posts today. Let's make out :p

Although Vai does often fall into the category of over the top wankery, this is a perfect example of incredibly skilled yet incredibly expressive guitar work.

And moving further away from metal: Jeff Beck. My favourite guitarist ever.

You misunderstand, it wasn't the most negative part I quoted but the most moronic. I could dissect the rest of the ways in which you are failing to grasp the nature of this discussion, but why bother?

There is really no difference between us in this thread other than I like Necrophagist (& maybe Bodom) & you don't. It's really not a big deal. I get the concept of this thread, it's not rocket science. Name the metal guitarists you think are most tasteful. What's tasteful to me is just different than what's tasteful to you, it's nothing to bitch over. I'm sure I like a ton of other stuff you don't like too :rolleyes:

That I would consider the opposite of tasteful, there's not much purpose for 90 seconds of sweeps in a five minute song other than to say "look how well I can sweep pick!"

Who are you to judge the purpose of an element in a piece of art like that? True, it can come off as "look how well I can play" but I think the songs are very well-written and well-performed, especially taking into account that he wrote that all himself when he was like 17 or something and programmed the drums, and played bass (rather well).

And for those who say Muhammed can't play a memorable solo; I can pretty much hum the solo in Fermented Offal Discharge note for note off the top of my head (and encompass the general melodies when he is playing much too fast)...so there goes that.

I get the concept of this thread, it's not rocket science. Name the metal guitarists you think are most tasteful. What's tasteful to me is just different than what's tasteful to you, it's nothing to bitch over.
No you fool, it's a recommendation thread. Bodom and Necrophagist were given as specific examples of what to avoid. What "tasteful" means to you is irrelevant, you were given a definition of "tasteful" to work with in the OP.

Who are you to judge the purpose of an element in a piece of art like that?
It's based on the undeniable technical excess, the first word you hear from fans caught up in the hype (and ad copy) is "technical", it fits the idea of guitar-endorsement metal with plenty of the aforementioned malmsteemisms. It's the element that stands out above the generic nature of the rest of the product. That's the evidence I'm basing my conclusion on. What's the alternative explanation? You can say it's "well-written" all day but that doesn't actually mean anything without at least a little content.

And for those who say Muhammed can't play a memorable solo; I can pretty much hum the solo in Fermented Offal Discharge note for note off the top of my head (and encompass the general melodies when he is playing much too fast)...so there goes that.
I'm not sure why people are bringing up memorable as if it's the equivalent of tasteful. :confused:

killing_is_my_business.jpg

About eight years of guitar, mainly jazz and classical ensembles but also some punk and metal. Although I've generally done vocals in the handful of garage bands I've messed around with.

I didn't bring up memorability, Thoth-Amon did. That's why I QUOTED HIM...

Anyways, you are honestly fucking worthless to argue (or even "discuss at odds") with because you really do constantly (and purposely) misinterpret whatever anyone who is arguing with you is saying. No one is talking about the HYPE surrounding the band or what their stupid fans think; of course a lot of people are going to go OMG HE CAN SHRED THE FUCK OUT OF EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD GO MUHAMMED but I don't listen to it like that. There are some equally memorable AND tasteful death metal sections on Onset as there are solo sections, and that is why I believe Necrophagist (pre-Epitaph, because it is crappy and sounds mechanical despite not using a drum machine which is deliciously ironic) uses rather tasteful soloing sections within the genre of "technical death metal." Sure there is frequent masturbation of classical scales or what have you, but I don't think that really negates the quality of the album right off.

I didn't bring up memorability, Thoth-Amon did. That's why I QUOTED HIM...
I wasn't trying to imply that you did. That's why I said "people" and not "you."

Anyways, you are honestly fucking worthless to argue (or even "discuss at odds") with because you really do constantly (and purposely) misinterpret whatever anyone who is arguing with you is saying. No one is talking about the HYPE surrounding the band or what their stupid fans think; of course a lot of people are going to go OMG HE CAN SHRED THE FUCK OUT OF EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD GO MUHAMMED but I don't listen to it like that. There are some equally memorable AND tasteful death metal sections on Onset as there are solo sections.
I'm just explaining my reasoning. If you would explain yours rather than get all pissy we might get somewhere. I'd love to see the greatness in Necrophagist that I'm missing but if all you do is tell us how "memorable" and "tasteful" they are without discussing the how and why, well... why bother commenting at all?

I understand you don't like Necrophagist & that's fine, but to simply write him off as just another generic sweeper or scale runner is ludicrous. I think he's quite original in that aspect of his playing & he's influenced by Malmsteen, but not a clone. I've never heard another band like Necrophagist. If you know of one let me know. I've asked the same question before & someone said "Theory in Practice"... WRONG! They're not like Necrophagist at al really. I've heard bands do similar things to them of course, but that was after they came out. He's very original in the Death Metal scene & he writes catchy Death Metal songs, that's why he's got some attention in the genre. You can hate his songs, but don't deny his talent.

I've been playing pretty much strictly guitar for about 13 or so years now. I've never had lessons & I'm strictly self taught. I play Barbaric Shred Metal & some Rock, but if you're good at Jazz & Classical I give you props. I never really had the discipline to learn that kind of stuff, & now that I play an hour a week I don't see it happening, although I would really like to learn. I'm more interested in learning Jazz actually.

I'm just explaining my reasoning. If you would explain yours rather than get all pissy we might get somewhere. I'd love to see the greatness in Necrophagist that I'm missing but if all you do is tell us how "memorable" and "tasteful" they are without discussing the how and why, well... why bother commenting at all?

:lol:

I've already explained why. Go read the other posts I've made.