Tasteful Shredding

Good for you man, because I can't really read or write music myself. I can barely read rhythms... I've spent more time just playing than learning the mechanics behind music on paper. Yngwie just learned how to read & write in standard notation a few years ago I believe.

A guitarist that no one seems to know about is Frank Marino. This guy is an animal. He is not "all shred, all the time" but only when necessary. Mostly blues rock and quite a few songs range over 10 minutes plus. I'm listening to his Live 2004 disc right now.

Frank Marino is an excellent Jazz Guitarist. He has sickeningly good technique & very tasty lines, but he's not really a shredder. Great Player though no doubt with better technique than a ton of those cheap shredders. I have friends who are into him. I need some more of his stuff eventually.

I hear a little bit of jazz influence but not alot in his music. Mostly 70's blues oriented. You'd be suprised...check out the song "Something's Comin' Our Way" off of his Live 2004 disc. You can tell where Satriani gets his influences from.

I mentioned him because the name of the thread is Tasteful.
Frank is indeed very tasteful and his playing is full of emotion.

Here's an interesting story about Frank Marino. A few too many blotters (LSD) for this guy:lol:. Maybe the acid made him become a better player?

It was during those days that his experimentation with LSD would lead him to what was later to become the definition of his life. As a young person doing far too much acid, he couldn't really understand when it finally caught up with him and gave him such an incredibly vivid experience that was so overwhelming, that it landed him in the hospital. "This experience became the basis of everything that I was to do in music, including the name Mahogany Rush, which was a description I would use to describe a certain sensation that I was having on the trip. The artwork on the albums, Child of the Novelty and Strange Universe are an artist's rendition of my trip as told by me to the artist, Ivan Schwartz, who has since passed away".

Since this early drug experience later became known to the press that covered his career, and since he played much in the style of Jimi Hendrix who had recently died, these sensationalists created stories that to this very day Frank has tried immensely and unsuccessfully to dismiss. "The most often heard story is that I took an overdose and woke up from a coma in the hospital and somehow became the spirit of Hendrix, or that I met this spirit and it entered me, endowing me with this amazing ability to play a guitar and magically know everything about it. Later on the story changed into a version that said I was in a car accident, died and came back as Jimi Hendrix in my body. They never ask me the truth and when I told them, they wouldn't listen. The short truth about it is that I learned how to play guitar while recuperating from my trip. The guitar became a soothing help for me because of my great fear of letting my mind wander back into the trip if I wasn't occupied and besides it was the only thing in the hospital relaxation room. I never even thought about the guitar before since I played the drums quite well anyway. I had this trip while Hendrix was still alive and began to play his music because it matched perfectly to what I was going through at the time".

Karl Sanders is a terribly over-rated wanker. Dallas Toller-Wade has some leads that I find quite listenable though. Karl's solos remind me of Kerry King's :erk: That being said I think Karl did an excellent job on his solo album.

Screw tasteful shreds! I want my riffs to be vulger and pulsing with maggots!

But I honestly dont understand why people have such deep seeded hate for Necrophagist.

Sure they may not be your cup of tea, but you have to respect them for what they have done. They have headlined a major tour with just 2 albums and successfully managed to get everyone on this forum to talk about them every other post.

For those who say Necrophagist does nothing but sweep pick and tap is nothing but simple ignorance.

The first song I ever heard by them was "Mutilate the stillborn"
the main opening riff in it has nothing to do with sweeping or tapping and it kicked me in the teeth instantly and left with me a thrist for more.

Screw tasteful shreds! I want my riffs to be vulger and pulsing with maggots!

But I honestly dont understand why people have such deep seeded hate for Necrophagist.

Sure they may not be your cup of tea, but you have to respect them for what they have done. They have headlined a major tour with just 2 albums and successfully managed to get everyone on this forum to talk about them every other post.

For those who say Necrophagist does nothing but sweep pick and tap is nothing but simple ignorance.

The first song I ever heard by them was "Mutilate the stillborn"
the main opening riff in it has nothing to do with sweeping or tapping and it kicked me in the teeth instantly and left with me a thrist for more.

:rolleyes:

Can someone please recommend me a specific Malmsten solo which is good?
I´ve never heard a single solo from him that i´ve liked,he´s skilled,no question about that,i just havent heard any solos from him that have sticked in my mind.