Tatoo Idea??

2984685917_52f321c6e9.jpg

That's not mine, but im almost certain i'll be getting this!

6290_242256530186_619295186_8291554_4864957_n.jpg

Someone said wolf...bad picture but this is the one I have...need to get it touched up, but still not bad for being a 14yr old tatt done with a tyco gun and india ink. And no I dont regret it..but does piss me off when people ask "Why do you have a collie on your shoulder..."

Savagehippie;
1. Loki's spawn is a gargantuan wolf, Fenrir, who will bite off Tyr's hand. During Ragnarök, he will devour the sun and eat Odin.
2. Odin has two wolves for companions, Geri and Freki.
3. You can have a wolf kind of like a totem animal, a protective spirit that follows you. You cannot, however, choose your own totem animal. It is chosen for you. My family's totem animal is a moose, but my own personal one just happens to be a wolf.

I suppose one can appreciate mythical motifs just based on the art work or the style of art work. I mean, I am not really into celtic mythology, but I can still appreciate the symbolism and the beauty of it. And no, Vikings did not have horned helms, they didn't wear armour like that, either, but it's art. Women don't have square heads and boobies like they do in Picasso's and Braque's paintings, either, but people still like it. It's a symbol, an art form. Tats are not usually historically correct. We cannot expect them to be. If we did, well, then bloody well nobody would have a helmed Viking on their skin, since there are no complete Viking helms in the archaeological material (as in "we don't really know what they looked like"), plus 95% of Vikings did not own a helm and if they did, they were more than likely leather... By the time you draw the dude up, he won't look anything like what we today think a Viking looks like, and I think it was the stereotypical image dude was looking for when he got the tat.

As for Odin's eye, well, he wasn't a baby when he took it out and sacrificed it... He still had two eyes for a long time before then, so why bother covering it up in the tat?

As for Odin's eye, well, he wasn't a baby when he took it out and sacrificed it... He still had two eyes for a long time before then, so why bother covering it up in the tat?

Because that's one of the coolest things about Odin! He fucking plucked his own eye out! :D

Mmmm went to Rosslyn chapel the other day with some friends from England (Im a local, not a DaVinci tourist, and it's bloody well worth a visit) and saw a stone carving in the base of a pillar- eight dragons entwined becoming the roots of a tree-like pillar.

Well, cue in the interpretation, the guide on duty said it may be a reference to Yggdrasil as the family were the Norse princes of Orkney, and that's the norse mythology link.

http://www.sharzusrealm.com/images/Apprentice%20Pillar%20-%20Rosslyn%20Chapel.JPG

Click in and scroll down to the base of the column. It is a very nice motif if I ever decide to go for a "bracelet" type of tattoo (but still prefer the pictish boat) and to add to the discussion, I love the celtic/pictish art for itself, but also the mythology- cause/effect really.

Edit: link

Savagehippie;
. You can have a wolf kind of like a totem animal, a protective spirit that follows you. You cannot, however, choose your own totem animal. It is chosen for you. My family's totem animal is a moose, but my own personal one just happens to be a wolf.

That reminds me... a blind boy in the youth group I used to work in said to me that if I was an animal I'd be a wolf.

I liked it because it's a cracking totem animal to have!

I had a problem like that... there is a symbol in France, a Gaulish cock (as in the male of hens). Its a very well known symbol here, the equivalent of the German eagle, or the Russian bear. Cocks are very brave animals, they defend their hens with ferocity even against enemies they can't beat (foxes, some snakes..). So i fell on this drawing of a stylized angry Gaulish cock (attacking a german eagle.. but I'd take it away), it looked real kick ass (ferocious looking, very menacing... I know its hard, but try to imagine it) and I thought I'd get it tattooed on my back.. and then I realized that it could be subject of mockery if I go to an english speaking country : "hey, you have a huge cock on your back". :D we don't have that "metaphor" in french.. anyway its too bad, but I'm happy I realized this before getting tattooed, I would have regretted it.

Hey, apparently even the fleur-de-lys is phallic if seen from the right angle. :D:D:D:D

Cockerel attaching an eagle... reminded me of that chanteclairix unpublished cartoon... (in Astérix et la rentrée Gauloise)

I had a problem like that... there is a symbol in France, a Gaulish cock (as in the male of hens). Its a very well known symbol here, the equivalent of the German eagle, or the Russian bear. Cocks are very brave animals, they defend their hens with ferocity even against enemies they can't beat (foxes, some snakes..). So i fell on this drawing of a stylized angry Gaulish cock (attacking a german eagle.. but I'd take it away), it looked real kick ass (ferocious looking, very menacing... I know its hard, but try to imagine it) and I thought I'd get it tattooed on my back.. and then I realized that it could be subject of mockery if I go to an english speaking country : "hey, you have a huge cock on your back". :D we don't have that "metaphor" in french.. anyway its too bad, but I'm happy I realized this before getting tattooed, I would have regretted it.

What you should do, is get it on your lower leg. Then you can say you have a cock that hangs below your knee.

Savagehippie;
1. Loki's spawn is a gargantuan wolf, Fenrir, who will bite off Tyr's hand. During Ragnarök, he will devour the sun and eat Odin.
2. Odin has two wolves for companions, Geri and Freki.
3. You can have a wolf kind of like a totem animal, a protective spirit that follows you. You cannot, however, choose your own totem animal. It is chosen for you. My family's totem animal is a moose, but my own personal one just happens to be a wolf.

I suppose one can appreciate mythical motifs just based on the art work or the style of art work. I mean, I am not really into celtic mythology, but I can still appreciate the symbolism and the beauty of it. And no, Vikings did not have horned helms, they didn't wear armour like that, either, but it's art. Women don't have square heads and boobies like they do in Picasso's and Braque's paintings, either, but people still like it. It's a symbol, an art form. Tats are not usually historically correct. We cannot expect them to be. If we did, well, then bloody well nobody would have a helmed Viking on their skin, since there are no complete Viking helms in the archaeological material (as in "we don't really know what they looked like"), plus 95% of Vikings did not own a helm and if they did, they were more than likely leather... By the time you draw the dude up, he won't look anything like what we today think a Viking looks like, and I think it was the stereotypical image dude was looking for when he got the tat.

Thanks for the info. Good points, and very well said too! lol @ the square heads and boobies part!

Mmmm this morning quite a fit guy walked into the Driving test centre - Six foot plus, long hair, quite a substantial beard for someone who seemed about 24- and, could have guessed, a fantastic mjollnir tattoo to top it off!

Brought me good luck by the mere sight of it- I passed! :headbang:

Plus I had something to ogle while I was waiting for the examiner to come out. :heh:

144d9af.jpg

That is the symbol that represents the Greek word 'atheoi.' The symbol 'a8eoi' is a symbol that appears in the New Testament in the 'Epistle to the Ephesians' which was written by St. Paul when he was imprisoned in Rome. Anyway, basically 'a8eoi/atheoi' translates into English to mean "to be without God."

Atheoi is also the Greek word that atheist originated from.