TECH DEATH MIX FOR YOU TO TRY

been doing some mixing, i've given a lot of feedback to you guys, please tell me what you think of this: http://soundcloud.com/la-tigre/doop-de-doop
I like the cymbals, although the drum is too far buried for my taste, the guitars are upfront but the drums kinda get buried in the mix, the snare seems more distant than the cymbals.

the guitarsound is nice, for my taste it could do with a bit less gain, but i think if you bring the kick and snare upfront it will sound nice!

I like it. It has a very full sound. I would say the bass was too loud and the vocals too quiet. The guitars seem too staccato, too tight... too Spawn of Possession for my taste. If you were after that then I think you did a good job.

i agree the vocals are to quiet,i always like a full sound in the music i listen to so i guess thats where i get that from,lol, but what do you mean by staccato,too tight? ive been mixing for 3 months so i still have a lot to learn and will accept all constructive criticism

i agree the vocals are to quiet,i always like a full sound in the music i listen to so i guess thats where i get that from,lol, but what do you mean by staccato,too tight? ive been mixing for 3 months so i still have a lot to learn and will accept all constructive criticism

Do you know the terms staccato and legato? Staccato usually refers to a rhythm that is played with each note sounding in very short "stabs" like if a person plucks a violin rather that bows it. Legato is the opposite. What I mean when I say I think the mix is too tight is that I get this staccato feel from it. What it usually comes down to is too little gain on the guitars which again highlights the age old problem of mixing technical metal - getting the right amount of gain and tightness. It's damn tough to get it just right so what I do is vary the gain levels for different parts. The section in the middle of this song after the solo is where you can tell people have turned the gain right down to try and bring out each note clearly during the fast parts, but during this section of isolated guitars it just sounds weak so you need to beef it up a little. Another thing that is even more tricky is the bass. People often will just trim off a load of the low end to avoid ending up with a sludgy mess during the fast parts but then the whole mix loses out. Some notch EQing and some band compression will help. If you can give a fast mix some tight punchy bass along with chunky guitars that can stand up on their own then you're doing all right.

So, it's my mix. Without vox.
I hope you enjoy =)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37918804/Meditative.mp3

drums are definitely slamming - nice and huge. I like em but they could do with humanising a little. The guitars are a nice amount of heavy and chunky but they are very nasally- an odd eq. bass is nice and thunderous. yes... i like that snare but as i said it could do with humanizing - i dont think a person could blast at that velocity

Do you know the terms staccato and legato? Staccato usually refers to a rhythm that is played with each note sounding in very short "stabs" like if a person plucks a violin rather that bows it. Legato is the opposite. What I mean when I say I think the mix is too tight is that I get this staccato feel from it. What it usually comes down to is too little gain on the guitars which again highlights the age old problem of mixing technical metal - getting the right amount of gain and tightness. It's damn tough to get it just right so what I do is vary the gain levels for different parts. The section in the middle of this song after the solo is where you can tell people have turned the gain right down to try and bring out each note clearly during the fast parts, but during this section of isolated guitars it just sounds weak so you need to beef it up a little. Another thing that is even more tricky is the bass. People often will just trim off a load of the low end to avoid ending up with a sludgy mess during the fast parts but then the whole mix loses out. Some notch EQing and some band compression will help. If you can give a fast mix some tight punchy bass along with chunky guitars that can stand up on their own then you're doing all right.

first and foremost i apologize for the long delay of a response..i lost this thread. but thank you for your advice.i will keep that info in mind for future mixing projects. still have a lot to learn in this craft and any constructive criticism is always welcome..after all ,we are here to learn right?

Just saw this thread last night.

This song is amazing! And the high vocals are intense as fuck!

Heres my mix:

Also i thought id upload this because it ripped my face off!:

Last edited by a moderator:
tell me what you think ;)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28110505/UMF2.mp3
the best guitars i've ever mixed and the tightest

I think the guitars are great. Definitely tight and fat as hell. I'm very impressed. Can you tell me how you did it? I'm unsure if the tone is quite right for the song however. It's something I'd expect to hear from a djent song. It reminds me of Tesseract only with a lot more balls. In that respect as well it's impressive to achieve that tone along with that chunk. If you know what I mean...

Just saw this thread last night.

This song is amazing! And the high vocals are intense as fuck!

Heres my mix:

Also i thought id upload this because it ripped my face off!:

I appreciate the remarks on the song, thanks! I'm struggling to follow it up with anything as good though.

Your mix is alright but those drums are very weak. That snare really doesn't suit the music in my opinion. I have to be honest like with everyone else. They could really do with changing.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38187762/Final tech deathwishx.wav , Did this fast ,I over did it with the drums I think ! + theres no vox haha :p

Hello to you in Greece! My favourite country.

Like the drums a lot. The overall sound is really nice and big. The snare is a little quiet and the low end overall could maybe do with trimming a bit - a notch here and there perhaps - it sounds a little like there are a number of things all occupying the same space on the low end on the eq resulting in a lot of boomy sounds. Nonetheless a good mix.