Technical/Prog Metal

MasterOLightning said:
Allmusic.com is just so great. Anyone with any band questions should go there.
You're joking, right? AMG has some really bad information on there... incorrect, misleading, etc. I'd take anything on AMG with a grain of salt.

Donnie Darko said:
Try Spock's Beard, Yes, Dream Theater, Symphony X
If he's asking for bands like Pagan's Mind, Cynic, Spiral Architect; do you honestly think Yes and Spock's Beard are good bands to recommend? :p

As for my recommendations... I'd say Pain of Salvation, Planet X, Symphony X...

If you want the Cynic type of sound then Death's Human has a few of the same players and I feel that Inner Thought Patterns was also pretty close sounding to this style.

Liquid Tension said:
If you want the Cynic type of sound then Death's Human has a few of the same players and I feel that Inner Thought Patterns was also pretty close sounding to this style.
YUCKKKKKK, if you haven't heard Human don't waste your time, it's like the most boring "death metal" ever recorded and I don't hear much that sounds like Cynic in there at all. Inner Thought Patterns has some interesting stuff on it, though.

By the way, quit recommending Symphony X, they're about as far removed from Cynic as you can get in the so-called "prog metal" field. :'( ANyway, if he's heard of the bands he listed in the beginning there's no chance he hasn't heard of Symphony X?

unknown said:
Yeah...

There is a BIG difference between Prog and Tech

I know, but I am looking for bands of both styles. Thanks for all the posts everyone, although of course I have heard DEATH! How can you be a fan of metal without even hearing of Death? And yes, It's INDIVIDUAL Thought Patterns not "Inner Thought Patterns"

Tomorrow (Dec. 13) marks 2 years...

well yeah...just that Prog metal bands are a little easier to come by

and if that's the case, Yes is not prog metal...they are just prog

Caelum Adustum said:
I know, but I am looking for bands of both styles. Thanks for all the posts everyone, although of course I have heard DEATH! How can you be a fan of metal without even hearing of Death? And yes, It's INDIVIDUAL Thought Patterns not "Inner Thought Patterns"

Tomorrow (Dec. 13) marks 2 years...
Never claimed that you haven't heard of them I was just trying to help you find some music since YOU ASKED! My mistake #1

Sorry about the mistake of the title and thanks for the correction......Mistake #2

Good luck with your quest.........

Liquid Tension said:
Never claimed that you haven't heard of them I was just trying to help you find some music since YOU ASKED! My mistake #1

Sorry about the mistake of the title and thanks for the correction......Mistake #2

Good luck with your quest.........

I wasn't trying to be an asshole when I said I've heard Death :)

Thanks again.

wankerness said:
YUCKKKKKK, if you haven't heard Human don't waste your time, it's like the most boring "death metal" ever recorded and I don't hear much that sounds like Cynic in there at all. Inner Thought Patterns has some interesting stuff on it, though.

By the way, quit recommending Symphony X, they're about as far removed from Cynic as you can get in the so-called "prog metal" field. :'( ANyway, if he's heard of the bands he listed in the beginning there's no chance he hasn't heard of Symphony X?
You wankerass bitch, Human is a great album by Death!

I'd suggest Capharnaum, Carcariass, Epoch of Unlight, Scholomance, Coprofago ( which kinda sounds like Meshuggah, but better in my opinion, mostly due to their jazz interludes ), Electro Quarterstaff ( no cd yet, they have a live EP and it rocks ), Dysrhythmia ( haven't heard them yet though ), Lethargy ( it's pretty hardcore sounding though, but the riffs are insane and the song structure's are good, the riffs aren't played many times ), Foe, Korum, Kralizec, Necrophagist, Spawn Of Possession. Those last 5 bands are some of the heaviest I've mentioned, you might want to try the other ones before trying these !! Well, it's metal.

There is also Virus and The End that are pretty good, less technical but more dissonant oriented. Virus is really good for rock fans, The End is more hardcore, it's somewhat similar to Dillinger Escape Plan

tech/prog has become an interesting and overused adjective for metal

because of the recent rise of popularity in "tech" metal, be it dm/bm/grind or whatever hybrid, theres been a lot of ultimately subpar but very "technical" metal lately. I would say that in general, the technicality of melody and harmony (the "progressiveness" of it, if you will) hasn't caught up with the technicality of structure-- theres a million bands playing confused, wandering, somewhat atonal metal lately with relatively banal, pedestrian interlocking parts. on the flipside, you have the instantly "digestable" tech metal bands that are entirely consonant and entirely boring (im thinking rhapsody, theory in practice, symphony x, that line of thought). I used to really like all this kind of metal indiscriminately, but after listening to it all, you realize only a handful is noteworthy.

so, echoing what some others have said, for some truly mindbending/expanding metal, id suggest

gorguts - obscura
(nothing comes close to it, though if you think something does, please tell me!)

morbid angel - FFttF
(this one rocks and rolls, has lots of energy, and some of trey's most creative riffing. all MA is pretty good as far as technicality/progressiveness goes. you see, theres two ways to think of something as prog/tech-- in the microcosm of the riff, or the overarching song structure. their riffs are always pretty inventive)

immolation - unholy cult
(this one has obscura flavorings in places but heavier, more straightforward)

zeni geva - freedom bondage or 10,000 light years
(not strictly metal, and they repeat/cannibalize themselves a bit, but great use of dissonance to form moving/emotive melodies)