Technical vs Progressive Metal

Oh man I would love this as a full length! The prior Post/Atmospheric Black stuff they did was cool but Im really digging this

Heres a post form 2012 where i referred to Suffocation as originators of technical and brutal death metal.
Suffocation are one of the first technical death metal bands ...
Here's how i look at it, Suffo = original technical/brutal death metal, Obscura = Modern tech-death, two different sounds ... but yea, if thats the case, then i don't count Suffo as "tech-death" either, as i only use that term to describe the actual modern tech-death bands.

Cosmogenesis is IMO the greatest modern tech death album there is.

Suffocation brought breakdowns(which is a HUGE part of BDM) into death metal. They are far more technical than Deicide(the comparison you asked for) and Frank Mullin is one of the originators of the guttural vox(which is used by just about every single BDM band) .. another one for your retarded Deicde comparison.

Reactions: Sophii
are they? I thought that title mainly belonged to Dying Fetus. Their signautre breakdoiwns were one of the main influences on deathcore ... but i dont really hear deathcore in Suffocations sound.

Its probably both, tbh. Cuz Suffocation were the ones to mostly popularize the breakdowns in DM/BDM, but Dying Fetus did take that to the next level. Also, not to mention the NY Hardcore influence in their sound.

Apparently Decible mentioned them as being the pioneers of Deathcore.

i dont think they said pioneers, i think they said their signature breakdowns were one of the biggest influences on deathcore.

And yea, of course there's hardcore influence in deathcore, hence the "core". And if we go that deep, punk bands were using breakdowns even before Suffocation. But as far as Suffocation goes i dont think calling them pioneers or proto-deathcore is correct.

Their breakdowns particularly planted the seed for other bands to create slam, but deathcore definitely goes to Dying Fetus.

Deathcore is basically a byproduct of beatdown hardcore/90s metalcore and, well, death metal. Slam is more or less based around the slam riff in “Liege of Inveracity” by Suffocation.

I don’t like any of those genres but I can at least appreciate how they’ve served as a gateway for a lot of people. I see that a lot in my local scene.

For like half a decade most of the local heavy/metal/Hardcore scene in Chattanooga was mostly deathcore, then evolved into that downtempo Acacia Strain worship stuff. Nostalgic stuff.

99% of deathcore blows chunks, a good deal more of slam is good though and the cream of the crop is especially fucking amazing.

I agree and also disagree about the deathcore statement.

Much of the early stuff like Despised Icon, Beneath the Massacre, The Red Chord, etc are all pretty solid deathcore acts. I know how much you hate Whitechapel too, but Id go as far as to say their demo albums are pretty killer borderline BDM

Not really sure why you disagree, 6 good bands don't really rebut my 99% opinion. The genre got flooded with so much garbage so quickly but there are still some great deathcore bands that's for sure, they're the 1%.

Early Whitechapel is fairly standard deathcore with some slam influences. I wouldn't say I hate them, though I do mock them, their early stuff isn't that bad and at the very least isn't offensive enough to generate any real emotions about them. I've especially come around to their debut over the years.

Also, Beneath the Massacre are more technical death metal than deathcore, though they're also that obviously. But not really a good representation of the genre. Pretty much same deal with The Red Chord.

Not really sure why you disagree, 6 good bands don't really rebut my 99% opinion. The genre got flooded with so much garbage so quickly but there are still some great deathcore bands that's for sure, they're the 1%.

Early Whitechapel is fairly standard deathcore with some slam influences. I wouldn't say I hate them, though I do mock them, their early stuff isn't that bad and at the very least isn't offensive enough to generate any real emotions about them. I've especially come around to their debut over the years.

Also, Beneath the Massacre are more technical death metal than deathcore, though they're also that obviously. But not really a good representation of the genre. Pretty much same deal with The Red Chord.

Fair enough.
Having a bad day and decided to argue without thinking too much through

Reactions: CiG
lol I didn't take it that way, just a misunderstanding. I'm blasting the first Beneath the Massacre EP right now, haven't heard it in ages, still holds up nicely.

The deathcore is very subtle, mostly contained in the throaty/shouty vocals of their early material, as well as the breakdowns. Other than that they're pretty much completely a brutal technical death metal band. On their first EP there's a huge ass breakdown on the track "Profitable Killcount" that probably had all the core kids losing their mind in the pit in the old days haha.